Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Savognin trip - any info please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After many 100's of wasted biros at ski shows, wife has just won week's holiday for 2 in Savognin!! Info. I can find on web is limited although area looks small on piste. Wonder if anyone knows about the resort/area andhow easy it is to get to Lenzerheide or St. Moritz? I note we are staying at the Cube which has been voted best ski hostel in Europe and should be ideally tailored for a couple of sixty year olds!!

cool yule y'all[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skivor, Can't help with more info, sorry, but congratulations anyway! Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 22-12-08 20:04; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
as you doubtless know it's a ski area in south east switzerland between lenzerheide and st moritz - south facing, quite high, with decent vertical. when I drove past it many years ago there hardly seemed to be any resort attached to it but that may have changed. I read an interview with the boss of the place in a swiss newspaper the other day - he pioneered swiss snowmaking more than 20 years ago (and was much derided for so doing) and is said to be a bit of a visionary. He said the philosophy is maximum skiing from minimum lifts which sounds good. But his idea that ski resorts should be like cruise ships (all money going in to one pocket) on the American model sounds less promising. I'm sure there must be buses going past on their way to Lenz and St M perhaps with a change in Tiefencastel. Hope helpful.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skivor,
what did you think of Savognin?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skivor, I'll let you know at the end of March.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi RandomSkier, I have just returned from Savognin. Do you still require any info/advice?

I flew into Zurich and rented a car. It was one motor way and then a clearly marked exit onto a mountain road all the way into Savognin. St Moritz was further up the road but we didn't go as we were only there for 5 days. The Cube hotel is right on the slope so it looks very well located. I'm only a newbie but I have a couple of photos or I can give you some info on the runs though if you are interested.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skied Savognin on a day trip from St Moritz in Jan 2009.

It is a small resort but seems to have everything. It is a lot busier than Lenzenheide or St Moritz though. I suppose the accommodation and ski pass are more affordable there. The weather was poor when I skied it as I have to cut short at the mountain top which became foggy.

I would use it as a stepping stone to ski St Moritz but you need a car for such an adventure because it involves crossing the Julier Pass which isn't bad at all by the Alps standard. The pass is kept open all year round. On Google map the nearest St Moritz cable car station is about 22 miles. St Moritz has three major unlinked areas.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Saikee, how long did it take you to get to Savognin from St Moritz?

I had a bad experience on their road, not because it was icy or difficult to drive but the locals seemed to be very unfriendly on the road (I've driven in Spain, Italy, France before without this problem). On the return trip one guy behind me decided to honk at me all the way from Savognin unto the motorway, even though I was already at the road speed limit and it was snowing. rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
streaky,

To be honest I find the Swiss drivers the most law abiding and have the best manner. This is based on travelling on cars and motorbikes in both summer and winter in Europe. I would say as a motorcyclist I could tell the road speed limit by just following a Swiss car. My experience is that the Swiss mortorists obey the speed limits like clockwork to the extent that I would give up the overtaking if they slow down because we would be approaching a build-up area. I am surprised that you have a complaint and could only suggest may be it wasn't the Swiss locals.

The Julier Pass isn't very twisty or steep so vehicles with 4WD and winter tyres could travel faster than others that are lesser equipped. It would not be a good gesture for 2WD cars, which may need to slow down more, to impede the progress of other vehicles which may have more experienced drivers or better equipment for coping with the snow. It is true that the locals can drive a lot faster in winter than the visitors, especially with the right tyres on many mountain passes.

I didn't find Julier Pass any different than the other European pass. In my last trip we bought food and drinks at St Moritz Dorf and parked our car at the top of the Julier Pass for lunch as everything was white and the scenery made us feel we were in a different planet. I did notice that there were quite a number of lorries using that pass so the car motorists may be able to drive fast too.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
streaky wrote:
Hi RandomSkier, I have just returned from Savognin. Do you still require any info/advice?

I flew into Zurich and rented a car. It was one motor way and then a clearly marked exit onto a mountain road all the way into Savognin. St Moritz was further up the road but we didn't go as we were only there for 5 days. The Cube hotel is right on the slope so it looks very well located. I'm only a newbie but I have a couple of photos or I can give you some info on the runs though if you are interested.

Thanks - had a change of plan, now going to Disentis - my Swiss resident friends have done the booking - I just turn up by train Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy