Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 2008-09

Poster: A snowHead
OK folks...plenty of us go there, several of us live there.

Let's keep it all here.

Just back from a quick weekender.
Fabulous conditions.
100% coverage, easy to ski Mont Fort all the way to Le Chable.

Not at all crowded, all lifts running (except Mt Gele).

The Itineries were in superb shape. Even the natural bottleneck on Gentiennes which I have never seen without rocks and stones (due to the sheer volume of side-slipping through the pinch-point) was pure white.

Powder still to be found if you know where to look.

The top of Mont Fort was the easiest I have ever skied it...lovely grippy, chalky snow, no moguls yet, just humps. It really is not that steep in those conditions (it always looks steeper from below). We took a friend and her kids down it, they loved it....I would never have taken them down if it was icy and big bumps..

The Foehn didn't come, the sun did.

However if it stays sunny, dry, cold and a bit windy then I do think you will need to get your edges sharpened...firm pistes can get very firm indeed when the weather is like that.

FX rate was nasty though...packed lunches for us this season.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1.62CHF to the £ - very painful indeed Crying or Very sad

Out the weekend before last and conditions as good as I've seen them early season. Sumos even got an outing - unheard of in December!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just got back.

Wow!

What fantastic conditions.

Yesterday, a beautiful, bluebird powder day.

Boot deep-Knee deep...windblown stashes were thigh deep.

Got up early, first (second or third) tracks all over the place as the New Year's Day hangover effect kept the mountain very quiet until about 12.00.

Everything is 100% covered, pistes in fantastic condition, and off piste will be chopped powder for a while yet.

The 30th was Verbier's busiest ever day, 18,000 skiers, but the lift queues were very manageable...the authorities have upgraded the right lifts over the last few years. I was amazed that the queues were so small. A friend who should know told me that Philippe Roux sports had no rental skis left at all...every single pair was out.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 2-01-09 18:39; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
A bunch of us are flying out 2moro, can't wait, just hope the 18k skiers have all gone home by then. Also glad I got a load of swiss francs a few weeks back !
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just had a sneaky weekend over the border in Verbier.

Fabulous conditions although there are some rocks and stones in places.

Night life as usual was fab - going on detox for a few days now....

Will definetly be back again this season...

Many thanks to Ashley and the SnowLife team for a great 2 days www.snowlifechaletholidays.com
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowandtrek, thanks for that, there's a few of us out there from the coming weekend. Nice to hear the snows good.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
going there on the 21st and concerned there was no major dump for the past 2 weeks and none forecasted in the foreseeable future. Presumably with snow making there should be no problem on piste
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Five of us just got back this Saturday (3-10 Jan) in Verbier and the snow was good. Although, as it didn't snow all the week we were there, I think they could do with some as there were a few icy patches on the lower slopes. They had the snow cannons going later on in the week which seemed to help.

POSITIVES:

I've been to Villars and Kitzbühel and Verbier was by far the best resort I've been to for both skiing and apre.
We got Ryanair flights to Turin for £26 return and hired a car for £170 and drove up through St Bernhard Tunnel (great scary drive).
Catered chalet with Peakski was only £250 each in Chalet Bugnion (right by Medran lift and Pub Mont Fort but steep access) and was well looked after.

NEGATIVES:

It's a premium resort (we met fergy!) and the value of sterling meant everything was really expensive including ski hire(No.1), lift pass and beer (can recommend Pub Mont Fort and Farinet Apre Ski for a good night out).
Our round was 50CHF for 4 beers and 1 short so made the most of the free wine at dinner.
Lots of public school boys!

Good luck with the snow for anyone heading out soon.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pretty good weekend - snow in Gentianes still really nice and a quick blast down the deserted La Combe pistes at ramming speed yesterday morning cleared the hangover a treat. Traverse into Tortin bad news, Col des Mines nice if you time it well. Rock Garden living up to its name. Col des Mouches still has some lightly tracked stuff if you know where to look. Most off piste however now tracked into moguls but all in all not bad. Bit more snow wouldn't hurt though, but looking fairly dry this week.

Most of the army boys I think are leaving this week so public schoolboy count will be lower - although I always find them a good laugh and since most of them have been in Afghanistan or Iraq recently then I think we can forgive them their antics. Fergie obviously getting around a bit(nothing new there) as my mate nearly skiied into her and Eugenie on Friday as well
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Didn't realise the army boys were out, that explains a lot. I was surpised to hear that someone got hospitalised with a ski boot to the head in the apre ski bar !!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a rumour going around that Fontenay's been pisted. Say it ain't so.

First they take out the chair, now they've gone and pisted it- Televerbier do you have no soul?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rumour true I fear - pisted from half way round the path to La Chaux. Still some bumps / off piste to be had on the RHS and over to the very far left. I wonder whether they just did it over the Xmas holiday period to increase the amount of piste available on the Verbier side due to the huge number of punters in town? Fingers crossed they leave it be for the rest of the season
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Let's hope so. I recall seeing a JCB up there in September which raised my suspicions that they were up to no good.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fontenay is known as Secret Valley in our family as we seem to be the only people there whenever we go.
It has been pisted, but not down the way you would have gone in the past which remains off piste.
The shoulder on skiers left remains as it was, and perhaps even less used as the new piste pulls the skier down too far too quickly to make the traverse unless you know exactly where you meant to be.

The piste seems to be about as well used as the original used to be....ie hardly a soul.

Overall I don't think it has really made any difference to the Fontenay you knew and loved.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, That's reassuring.
latest report
rungsp, cool, good to hear - I like the Fontenay a lot.
snow report
bad news is that fontenay is no longer an itinerary, just normal off piste with all that entails for peoples insurance etc......
snow report
gilo, Good point, I noticed that the yellow poles had disappeared. The piste hasn't had too much impact on the bit I've always skied on the skiers' right apart from making the bottom much busier. The piste does at least provide a good alternative to the saturday afternoon carnage on the coombe.
snow conditions
OK, it started to snow about 11am. Still going now and forecast for most of the week. MT Fort and Col De G closed this afternoon, but still nice down amongst the trees. Strong winds, savolyeres lilt closed all day, but having done an early Vallon D'Arbi got some lovely lines off the nord over there with no one around. Thinking I might need to trade up from the gotamas...
latest report
Steve Sparks, Did you see the Birdos demo yesterday & today? Awesome skis.
snow report
The Eleven design is seriously cool. The Floater looks almost S7 shaped but obviously quite a bit bigger±
ski holidays
parlor, I did and really fancy the idea of them. Particularly fancy the green ones . I'm not sure I could get away with buying my wife "Fat Birds " for her birthday next week wink.

1,500 CHF for bespoke skis, at that rate I could keep parlor, in wine for a couple of days.
snow report
Skied some of the best snow of my life yesterday. The lines through the trees beyond the six blanc in Bruson were just fantastic. Finished the day off with the descent to Sembrancher which had been on my to-do list for a long time. Amazing snow at the top getting heavier as we descended. We had another 5cm or so overnight and today they're calling for sunshine. Then on Friday it starts dumping again.
ski holidays
It did not suck.
latest report
pfft - looks tracked out to me Wink
ski holidays
Arno, it was! Another amazing day until I broke another alpine binding. Long, long, long one footed ski down the whole la Chaux face of the Mt Gele... knackered...
snow report
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I want some.....
latest report
parlor, and no-one to snuggle up to and help with your balance?
that does sound like a bad way to end your day
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boys, second tracks down the Mt Gele into Gentianes (gave my brother in law 1st dibs, I will go to heaven! ) rock and roll, highway, various trees, front face of Mt Gele. A truly amazing day.
snow report
parlor, I've got some all metal Sollie 9-16 (I think) that I bought off Mulletizer on TGR.
You won't break those.
They are in my locker.
If you want them let know and I'll arrange for you to pick them up. They were not expensive.
snow report
rungsp, anything Alistair sells, I avoid! Actually, that's not true, I'll take them. Thank you!

Conditions are crazy here. Another 50cm yesterday! More possibly today...
snow report
So much snow the buses aren't even running in resort. I have my snorkel on and am going to have a little look around, for research purposes only....
ski holidays
Truly great conditions this last week. So much snow my transfer took twice as long as it should, so I missed my flight.

Next week should be epic.
snow report
Evidence based research suggests that in Bruson it was over waist deep with face shots all round. Nothing open above Ruinettes from what I could see, but it was fun watching them use the jumbo for bombing missions.
latest report
Further research suggests that face shots were available all over Verbier yesterday. Friend and I found a nice line under the Jumbo lift and there was over the head action on each turn. Impressive when I'm 6'2 and he's 6'5. Skiing down Fontenays and the trees below there on Saturday was some of the best skiing I've had for a while
ski holidays
Was in Verbier recently also, the conditions were excellent. I found this site useful for getting info on latest conditions: www.wherecaniski.com - doesn't have forecast data yet though.
snow report
The run down to Mâche today did not suck.
ski holidays
BGA, F**k me I'm surprised you didn't start a slide, how can there be someone else out there bigger than you who skis as well...?!
latest report
any chance of an update on conditions please.?
snow report
We had a lot of wind last weekend, messed up the higher off piste. Lower runs still in great conditions. Tracked powder in Vallon D'Arbi and similar. Been trying to snow for a while, kinda snowed all day but low accumulation so far... If we get some of what's promised things should return to tip top!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy