Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BBC Report on the seasons difficulties

Poster: A snowHead
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7794935.stm

Apologies if this is an iceberg!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
14 quid for spag bol... no doubt luke warm too. Go to Austria.

A non story really. Can't see why winter sport should be exempt from the same issues facing every other industry.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks a well-balanced report. Hadn't realised the French themselves were foregoing holidays so much as they did last summer.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bode Swiller wrote:
14 quid for spag bol... no doubt luke warm too. Go to Austria............

Where the cost is (for an eqivalent resort)?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
achilles, Hintertux a few weeks back... large beer 3.80, big bowl of pasta on the mountain 8-9 Euro (can't remember exactly but certainly not in double digits). Compared to what I was paying in Les Menuires last week, I'm saying that Austria is 20-30% cheaper (and better quality). There's a big survey for you.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had that variation in cost in zermatt from one bar to the next last week.

interestly never seen so many brits in zermatt before..and lots of spanish.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'll put it this way - unless there is a stellar deal to be had last minute, I'm not even looking at France this season - it's Austria or Switzerland for us this time out.

I'm now just hoping that the Eurozone implodes over Christmas and we start to see those exchange rates pushing back out a bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm now just hoping that the Eurozone implodes over Christmas and we start to see those exchange rates pushing back out a bit
if our interest rates follow the US lead and drop to say 1% (and they probably will), then sadly there's no chance of a recovery.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Why is France so much more expensive that Austria or Switzerland? Have done all three and never really noticed that much difference. Not too late for us to change plans!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastEddie, Italy would suit you also!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastEddie wrote:
I'm now just hoping that the Eurozone implodes over Christmas and we start to see those exchange rates pushing back out a bit.

No! not just yet anyway. I need to get all my post-Christmas sales purchases sorted, and UK is really cheap. Gordon Bennett must seriously be considering when and how to get in the Euro, since there was no chance of devaluing the GBP to such levels the 1st time around. Might make France seem pricy for vacations, but it's good for exports and it also devalues one-eye-Gordon's and capt. Darling's massive debts.

Austria/Switzerland are my places of choice this year, but I am tempted to sneak a week in the PdS. For some of us France is just the most expensive place in the Alps, rather than the most expensive place in the Alps that just became a further 15% more expensive for Brits.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lisach, Because the brits think it is the only place in the world to ski and for years it has been a great exchange rate from £ to € so the Froggies have robbed you blined
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can you give me some examples of where money can be saved? With a family the hire/passes/lessons etc are what concerns me? Or is it the hotels/food where the money can be saved? Would Germany also be a lot cheaper? Lucky that Paris is such a great rail hub as I can see us making fresh plans in Feb!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Niseko Resort Area
Hokkaido, Japan

Lunch on the hill 7 and a half quid (miso soup, japanese pickles, rice, prawn tempura, green tea)

Regular beer 3 pound 25

Coffee 3 quid

Bottle of wine in the corner shop 3 quid
Bottle of gin 8 quid Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bode Swiller wrote:
achilles, Hintertux a few weeks back... large beer 3.80, big bowl of pasta on the mountain 8-9 Euro (can't remember exactly but certainly not in double digits). Compared to what I was paying in Les Menuires last week, I'm saying that Austria is 20-30% cheaper (and better quality). There's a big survey for you.

Wow. Thanks for that. Got a week booked in January in Les Deux Alpes - and will keep try to keep a note of prices, and report back. I think they'll be a lot cheaper than at Val D. But going to Austria now very much back on my radar.
latest report
Self service at top of the mountain in Zell earlier this month (in euros): Paella 9.80, spag bol 6.90, latte 2.80, tea 2.10. Posher sit down place on the Kitzsteinhorn most dishes 7-13 euros (massive portions so could easily share). Will see at half term how the Pyrenees (French) compare with Austrian prices (hoping they are about the same)
snow conditions
Mrs O and I would normally get Lunch (2 servings Spag Bol or some sort) T/Coffee or Hot Choco and A strudel fore about €7 a head in most of the Austrian resorts we go to.
snow conditions
lisach, unlikely to save anything on lift passes - although can often get a family pass which works out cheaper than buying individually. Look out for 2 for 1 deals on skis etc.

Personal view is that money can be saved by self-catering and buying booze/food down in valley. Lunches back in apartment or packed then the order of the day
snow conditions
Boris,

Quote:
Look out for 2 for 1 deals on skis etc.

buy one, get one free?
ski holidays
JimW, are you telling Boris to BOGOF?

Quote:

Self service at top of the mountain in Zell earlier this month (in euros): Paella 9.80, spag bol 6.90, latte 2.80, tea 2.10. Posher sit down place on the Kitzsteinhorn most dishes 7-13 euros (massive portions so could easily share).
So at 1:1 these are prices you'd expect to pay in many places in the UK. so, once again, the advice has to be... go to Austria - they serve it up nicely too.
snow report
In Austria if you really want to save a bit of money, many huts and restaurants have a room where you can bring and eat your own packed lunch without the risk of being screamed at and ejected. Kitzsteinhorns Big Apple is a good example.
latest report
DAB, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
I never got the British fascination with French resorts anyway, unless you plan to drive I see little reason why to favour France over Austria
ski holidays
I'm afraid that at 1.62 CHF to the £ Switzerland is not a cheap option at the moment either
ski holidays
Timmaah, and driving to the French alps isn't necessarily faster than driving to say the Arlberg.
snow report
Timmaah, for large, sometimes vast, areas of linked runs, combined with easy access to off-piste, there is little to beat France. Also, I'm going to LDA by East coast main line, Eurostar and TGV, by day. Should be easy. Not so easy to Austria or Switzerland, I think. But even in better times for the £, I don't think on should be fixated on France.
snow report
lisach, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=31270#748997 here is a comparison of lift pass prices from last season.

Depending on the age of your children, some swiss resorts give free ones for kids.
ski holidays
achilles, There are many vast areas of linked runs in Austria. And off-piste isn't exactly challenging to find anywhere in Europe I'd say. Obviously Chamonix and Le Grave win, but I think you were referring to not too challenging off-piste terrain?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paradiski today, Coke €3 Beer €3 Crepe €1.80 all exactly the same as last years, so no change in price if you pay with last years Euro's Laughing
snow conditions
Timmaah, I was thinking of off-piste generally, but with a bit of a challenge to it (mind you, as I get older, more and more is a challenge wink ) . Of course, there is stacks around that is not in France. Andermatt is a good gateway, for example. And St Anton has as much as most of us will ever need in a fortnight - and more. Verbier, too - and, oh, there's lots. But somewhere like the Espace Killy has just such a huge amount very easily accessed from the lift system. But there's more to life than that. I rather enjoyed myself at Wengen the last couple of MSBs - and would rather have been there than Val D'Isere.
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, good news that is. Is there any Mutzig to be found in the resort (we're big fans)
latest report
achilles wrote:
Looks a well-balanced report. Hadn't realised the French themselves were foregoing holidays so much as they did last summer.

Wages are pishpoor in France and people here have not been loading themselves up on credit, maxing out on the plastic and MEWing (whatever that is).so many people simply can't afford holidays. Only about 5-7% of French people take winter sports holidays, they are just too expensive.

France looked cheap to Brits for a while because the exchange rate was unrealistic. Welcome back to reality, although I would agree that the pound looks undervalued at the moment.
snow report
I think that the pound has been overvalued to the Euro and Dollar for the past year or two.
ski holidays
davidof, I'm not sure a decade of £ dominance over the € was 'unrealistic'. IMO things will balance out in a few months and the £ will rise again.
ski holidays
tommy10pages, Thats the kind of attitude that has got the £ into the hole it is in.
snow report
I think the pound will rise again but it will stabalize at 1.20 and not the 1.40 range. The Euro should overtake the pound eventually (for good).
snow report
France has been ripping of the people since 1970 . It is you fools who pay those prices.
latest report
'Season's difficulties' ?

All part of a massive structural change in the economy. UK in particular is totally ****ed.

Do not expect things to get that much better in a year or two.
latest report
Quote:

JimW, are you telling Boris to BOGOF?

You wouldn't be the first, or the last.

Possibly the politest wink
ski holidays
tommy10pages, Mutzig- two pints for the price of one... that's true economising Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy