Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prices-Val d'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys, does anyone have a rough guide of prices of drink and food in the resort for us to expect? As the Euro isnt looking too healthy and people are telling me prices that are worring me!!! ha ha Thankyou
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stubu1980 wrote:
As the Euro isnt looking too healthy

The Euro is healthy it's the pound that is sick Confused
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would think you'll be paying at least double to what you're used to paying at home. VDI is an expensive resort at the best of times (I went in 2000 and drinks were about £4 then!). Eating out probably won't be twice as expensive but drinking certainly will...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward, I would say that it is more that they are both feeling poorly but the € has more of a bad cold whereas the £ has a nasty case of Ebola Virus!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stubu1980, Prices certainly are bracing but you can really save by looking out for the many offers and happy hours. Guinness and other stouts are almost always extortionate. The Pacific Bar (sky sports & friendly staff - they put Rugby League on for us, something I assumed would be punishable by de-bagging and pelting with bread rolls in Val-di-do-dah) and the Petit Danois are not too bad and the latter does good value food at lunch time. Coming down the mountain to eat sounds like a bore but skiing the Face isn't such drudgery and it is only a 3 minute walk from the slopes to Le Petit Danois. Maison Chavollet on the main drag in Val d'Isere does great value food during the day; fabulous quiches and exotic savouries along with great coffee and divine hot chocolate. It is a bit cramped but great for eavesdropping on the fascinating conversations between Descent and Scott Dunn nannies and their charges ( it is a different world).

On the slopes value is harder to find, the place at the bottom left of the Madeleine green run on Solaise is reasonable for nice sandwiches, pastries, cakes, soups and drinks.

There are 2 takeaway places on the main street near the cinema that do great crepes and decent pizzas. The Spar has an excellent deli counter and always has a high quality cooked option on the go which changes daily. You can eat it as a takeaway or take it back to an apartment/hotel and microwave it. I have seen tartiflette, rabbit in grain mustard and white wine sauce, paella...

As for evening meals, Tufs in La Daille isn't too expensive and the food is good, there are always a lot of French families. Generally however it is a good idea resist restaurants as much as possible if you are on a budget: buy a heap of nachos with chilli and cheese with your round at the Morris instead.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stubu1980,

Val has a captive clientele. On the 15th of December no one was allowed out of their accommodation on foot due to the avalanche risk in the town. All ski lifts and pistes didn't open.

In the poor economic situation here in the UK the £ doesn't buy a lot in € land. As pointed out above try and find the Happy Hours in the bars. Blue Note in the Mercure Hotel Building opposite the ESF Office do happy hour between 1500 and 1800 and you get free nibbles. Cafe Face has prices that start low and increase as the evening draws on.

In the Blue Note get a copy of "The Echo" the free local information paper which tells you what's going on in the town and where the happy hours are. This free paper is the unofficial paper, as opposed to the Val official "Valscope".
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welshflyer wrote:
In the Blue Note get a copy of "The Echo"

The Mountain Echo.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just come from Tignes, where we skied across to VDI one day....... the prices scared me to death! We chose a cafe/restaurant near the foot of the slopes - large coffee £5, Cheeseburger & Chips - £19.50, Spagetti Bol - £17, 1 litre of mineral water - £6.50. I was working on the basis of 1 pound to 1 euro.

In Tignes it was roughly £5 / pint....... we therefore opted for bottles in the supermarket and take them back to our chalet!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy