Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Snow chains in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, off to Megeve next week in the car & have drawn a blank at getting snow chains last minute this side of Christmas in the UK. Are they easily available in France?

I'm guessing the close we get to the snow, the more places will sell them.

All advice gratefully received.

Thanks

BeerRock
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BeerRock, Chains for common size wheels are easily found in large supermarkets and in the Halfords style shop in Chambery however anything slightly unusual may cause a problem. I'm surprised you are having a problem in the UK as there are many on line suppliers offering next day delivery.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BeerRock,

I can recommend this place : http://www.snowchains.co.uk/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Beer Rock - there's a Feu Vert on the way from the Auto Route to Megeve they are almost guaranteed to have the chains for you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BeerRock, Hi, I just ordered from www.roofbox.co.uk They will deliver next day. Due to Christmas you may need a special delivery but you should get them. The chains purchased in super markets in France are not great to be honest. Best get yourself a half good set. When you need them.....you really need them!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:
BeerRock, Chains for common size wheels are easily found in large supermarkets and in the Halfords style shop in Chambery however anything slightly unusual may cause a problem. I'm surprised you are having a problem in the UK as there are many on line suppliers offering next day delivery.

Prices can vary dramatically in the roadside garages - I've seen between about 20 euros and 200 euros...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The latter when it's snowing, yes? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Prices can vary dramatically in the roadside garages - I've seen between about 20 euros and 200 euros...

Well, a little local shop is likely to charge more than a supermarket, but to be fair, the quality of chains varies dramatically too, and there's no way I'd buy any at 20 euros. But not necessary to pay 200. I have seen no evidence of profiteering when it snows - have you, andytb, ?

Where's the Feu Vert between the Autoroute and Megeve? Sallanches?

At present, all roads round here are clear, and look like remaining so for some days yet. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, I have not. Just the cynic inside me coming out, and I would hope roadside dealers have more respect for their customers than have them risk going without because of cost.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

Where's the Feu Vert between the Autoroute and Megeve? Sallanches?

Come off at the Sallanches turn, head towards Sallanche, get to the roundabout with Carrefour on the RHS and Feu Vert is on the LHS....

Alternatively if you would rather go to a "Roady" continue on the A40 to the Passy exit, turn right at the end of the slip road, get to the next roundabout and it's there on your RHS.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus, thanks.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, you can buy or rent from http://www.snowchains.co.uk/, they are just of the M25 / M20, you can collect at any time, used them to pick up last minute rental chains before I bought my own.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In France snow chains are NOT a legal requirement however your car must have the 'Equipement Obligatoire' when passing a round blue road sign with a wheel equipped with a chain, electronic road signs or Gendarmes signalling this.

This means the vehicle must be equipped with either snow tyres (studded or non-studded) on ALL wheels OR chains on at least the driving wheels.

If the sign is shown and no gendarmes are stopping cars, then it is up to your discretion to fit chains or not. However if you get stuck/block the road/have an accident due to snow cover or ice on the road and you have not fitted chains or do not have snow tyres, this is an infraction and you can be in serious trouble.

The three choices are:
1)Normal tyres with chains:
Buying chains in the Alps is cheaper than buying at home but if you do, don’t leave it till the last minute and then find that the size you want is sold out. Practice putting the chains on at least 3 or 4 times so you know how to do the job. Trying to do it in a blizzard at the side of the road at 10 o’clock at night is not the place to learn!

2)Non-Studded Snow Tyres
If you are out for the season and driving regularly, it is worth getting a full set of snow tyres as it takes out the pain of using chains. Keep the normal tyres for the rest of the year and change back in spring, keeping the winter tyres for next year. If you are going to do multiple seasons, go to a scrap yard and buy four rims for your snow tyres, this makes changing over at the end of each season a lot easier.
Any quality non-studded snow tyre will get you through what could be reasonably called passable road conditions.
DO NOT buy two snow tyres just for the driving wheels as this will severely affect the handling of the car and if your car is front wheel drive, very dangerous.

3)Studded Snow Tyres
Studded tyres are only for serious conditions and not generally required for ‘normal’ alpine motoring. If you do have studded tyres you must have a sticker on the back of the car showing that you have studded tyres. You are also limited to a max speed of 80kph on ALL roads and BANNED from the autoroutes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy