Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lake Tahoe (Sierra Nevada) 08-09

Poster: A snowHead
Sunday Dec 21
0100 PST

I'm back reporting from the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada range.
After a below average beginning to the season, weather patterns have changed in a big way.
Other then a large storm we had over our Thanksgiving Weekend at the end of November, we had seen week after week of sun.
was very depressing.
we really didnt have much base left below 8000' and what was left was very faceted.
finally last week the blocking Rex moved east allowing a series of storms to roll in from the gulf of alaska.
Snowfall amounts since the series of storms began are in the 5-6 foot range for most of the crest.
Its snowing tonight as a very large moisture plume extends deep into the pacific.
Could be epic.
i will update.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
21 DEC 08
2144 PST

snowed most of the day.
very heavy at times.
i owe you guys some pictures.
but its been graybird for a week.
will do in the next couple days.
heres an idea of whats going on.

bruised from my hip to my knee courtesy of a stump.

early season mammoth
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
24 DEC
0430 PST

I'm up with the baby and thought i would make a report.
Awesome conditions up and down the US coastal ranges and continuing to improve.
A parade of pacific storm fronts has been rolling through about every other day.
South lake shows 18 inches reported at Heavenly in the last 24 hours.
reports of waist deep at the micro-climate around Kirkwood
which reports 9 feet of snow in the last 9 days!!
gobs of new snow here around the North Shore at Sugarbowl,
and around 2 feet of fresh at Mt Rose yesterday.
Its snowing right now and the forecast calls for snow.
sorry no pics. except a screenshot off the weather channel.
Tahoe appears to have a bullseye right over it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
24 DEC 08
Christmas Eve
1844 PST

10 to 12 inches of moderate accumulating snow showers today.

from the NOAA reno office at 4pm today:

TRAVEL OVER THE SIERRA LATER TONIGHT IS NOT
RECOMMENDED AS STRONG WINDS WILL COMBINE WITH SNOW TO CREATE
LOCALIZED WHITE OUT CONDITIONS. SNOW AMOUNTS IN THE SIERRA STILL
EXPECTED TO BE UP TO A FEW FEET ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH AROUND A FOOT
IN SIERRA VALLEY LOCATIONS.

4 years in a row we have gotten pounded by 100+" weeks during christmas-new years,
and it looks like the streak is going to continue for a 5th.
Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the term snow 'showers' is underrated - It hasn't stopped snowing at Squaw since about 6am today (christmas eve) and I'm expecting a very slow drive home later tonight!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
picked up about 24 additional inches at lake level (6300').
probably more up higher.
With high winds most of the resorts were holding off opening for a couple hours.
i just woke up from napping.
I'm at a loss for motivation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
25DEC08
1928 PST

time to dig out
from earlier today

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
another average day here in Tahoe.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 22-01-09 1:50; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rode Heavenly today.
was pretty nice 4 ft base, but many dangers still lurchs just below the snow.
found some stashes of boot deep powder in the elevations above 9000 ft.
many aspects are still very bony.
there are suppose to be some refreshers coming along soon.
fingers crossed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Feb 05/2009 : 1449

below average january has left The Sierra at around 2/3 of average so far going into Feb.
according to snowpack measurements concluded Feb1.
active pattern change came in the last 8 hours has seen snowshowers increasing south ahead of a front.
7000 ft snow level is forecasted to drop to lake level by 7pm PST
Mammoth Mt in the southern sierra looks to possibly have the best conditions coming into next week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mammoth reported 18-24" from thurs-fri's fast moving storm.
Locally around Tahoe has seen 6-12" north shore,
a little less along the west shore as you go by squaw and alpine,
heard heavenly received 12+,
and of course kirkwood did a little better then that.
Shortterm into Longterm forecast looking favorable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tuesday, feb 10, 2009
1152 PST

Second storm in this series came thru sat/sun and additional snow amounts are impressive.
Alpine ghettos received about 24-30 inches bringing their storm total to over 3 feet.
Kirkwood total is a touch over 4 feet.
Mammoth to the south looks to have similar maybe a little heavier deposits as Kirkwood,
and at this point in the season has a very similar mid-mountain snow depth of around 130".
Mammoths upper lifts opened this morning to bluebird conditions for the first time since last thursday.
The stars have aligned and the 5 day forecast appears to include an additional 2-3 feet of local accumulation possible.
sweet
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wed 02-11-09
1958 PST

The initial cold front associated with the low pressure system off the west coast pushed a band of precipitation through the forecast area last night
adding another 4-7 inches of new snow to the snowpack.
Southwest winds increased late yesterday and remained in the mid to high 30's overnight.
A small break in the weather should occur during the day today with winds and snowfall decreasing.
As this low starts to move eastward another more intense wave of snow should reach the forecast area starting this evening
with 6-12 inches of accumulation expected overnight.
A small, short-lived high pressure ridge follows this storm during the day tomorrow
before a stronger, wetter low pressure system reaches the forecast area Thursday night.

reprinted from Sierra Avalanche Center website.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well,
it has been quite a week since the first system moved in on the 5th.
Kirkwood looks to be the winner around here with 7 day snow totals of 50-68"
not sure about Mammoth but the rest of Tahoe appears to have gotten around 4 feet total.

Interesting forecast reprinted from Snowforecast:
Friday and Saturday ->
Another low pressure system moves in with significant snowfall Friday and through Satuday morning. A fairly strong southwest flow aloft will help churn out. A very strong low pressure system moves in overnight, with heavy snow mainly starting early Sunday.

Sunday ->
Strong low pressure moves in with deep moisture, mid level instability, and strong orographics, cranking out classic Sierra cement, with multiple feet expected.

Monday and Tuesday ->
Lighter snow is expected both days, with some disturbances aloft expected. Very heavy snow may begin Tuesday afternoon or later, as a very strong and moist storm moves in.

--Next Tuesday night through Thursday (17th - 19th)
another low pressure system moves into the west and sends several impulses across the Sierras, for what looks to be a heavy snow event each day, really piling up. This may be followed by another possibly epic series of storms (very heavy snow) Friday through Sunday (20th - 22nd).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
3snowboards, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Due out on 18th March. snowHead
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
3snowboards, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Due out on 18th March. snowHead

15Feb09
0059PST

i bet you are almost counting down the days till that trip.
i'll have to check my calendar to see if im free to meet up and help your tour.
conditions are all-time at the moment.
long range weather forecast has been tilting towards stormy.
i think France has been hogging most of the snow this year.
wonder if they are willing to share.

todays sierra avalanche center's daily report.
14Feb09
(summarized and metric conversions added by me)

The latest in the steady progression of storm systems to affect the forecast area continues this morning. Snow showers and sun breaks are expected during the day today. Above 7,000' (2133m), an additional 10 to 14 inches (28-35cm) of new snow fell across the forecast area last night. This brings 24 hour snow totals at the upper elevations to 16 to 22 inches (40-60cm). Air temperatures in the single digits and teens this morning are expected to warm into the mid teens (-9c) and low 20s (-4c) today. Ridgetop winds out of the southwest became strong during the early morning hours, but are expected to decrease to moderate in speed as the day progresses.

Today, an additional 10 to 14 inches (28-35cm)of new snow on top of an already unstable snowpack will allow the possibility of natural and human triggered slab avalanches to continue. The greatest areas of instability and larger slabs are expected near and above treeline on wind loaded NW-N-NE-E aspects, 35 degrees and steeper. Below treeline, pockets of small slabs should be expected in steep open wind affected areas, especially above 8,000' (2834m). In steep open areas not affected by wind, human triggered sluff activity should be expected. A good window for natural avalanche activity occurred last night. Fresh crowns and debris may be observed in the backcountry today.

Today's Advisory:

Near and above treeline, avalanche danger is CONSIDERABLE on NW-N-NE-E aspects, 35 degrees and steeper. Below treeline, avalanche danger is MODERATE in open areas, 35 degrees and steeper.
latest report
Snow continues with most above treeline lifts shut down. Some decent spillover onto the eastern slope.
latest report
Sunday Feb 15, 2009
1719PST

NWS from earlier today:

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST TUESDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RENO HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM
WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL
4 AM PST TUESDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN
EFFECT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION THROUGH TONIGHT: 6 TO 12 INCHES (15-30cm)...WITH 10 TO
20 INCHES (25-50cm) ABOVE 7000 FEET.

* ADDITIONAL SNOW ACCUMULATION FOR MONDAY AND MONDAY NIGHT: 6 TO
12 INCHES(15-30cm)...WITH 18 TO 30 INCHES (45-76cm) ABOVE 7000 FEET.

* WINDS: SOUTH TO SOUTHWEST WINDS OF 15 TO 25 MPH(24-40 kph) WITH GUSTS TO
45 MPH (72kph). SIERRA RIDGE GUSTS OF 80 TO 100 MPH (128-160kph).

* IMPACTS: PROLONGED PERIOD OF SNOW PACKED AND ICY ROADS WITH
VISIBILITY NEAR ZERO AT TIMES DUE TO SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
snow conditions
reprinted from Kirkwood resort website.

Updated as of Tuesday afternoon, February 17…
It has snowed all day, about 6-8 inches, still snowing, but the radar shows this storm track breaking up by this evening,
with mostly clear skies tomorrow, should be amazing.
We’ve received 30-36 inches in the past 36 hours, 112-142 inches since this all began 12 days ago.
All roads are open, and we expect no issues Wednesday morning. Most of the mountain will open for the first time in three days tomorrow morning
ski holidays
Thurs feb 19, 2009
1712 PST

Second of four days of bluebird in between another round of storms is what going on.
Today was the first day the big BC lines are considered safe.
Winds set to increase saturday ahead of change.
snow report
I might have just timed this right! Laughing

Seems I'm a snow magnet for Kirkwood, perhaps they should provide me with free skiing and lodging and it will keep snowing! 800+ inches the first season I was out there, 860+inches the second season, now going out for a few weeks and it dumps like 10ft in the couple of weeks to me going out there! snowHead
ski holidays
Well this is an off year but kirkwood is still approaching 300". Snow depth along the Sierra crest is around 90% of average right now. Some major storms are set to roll through next week so maybe we will be able to make up the shortfall in the second half of the season.
snow report
THURS
02-26-09
2332 PST

unsettled weather has continued with small amounts being recorded everyday up in the alpine.
a local was killed in a BC avalanche on saturday while touring solo and avalanche conditions are still elevated
for slopes over 35 degrees.

from Kirkwoods website today

Temperature 23
Wind Moderate
Today's Forecast light snow throughout the day

Snow Stats (snow totals in inches)
Last 24 hours 4-6"
Last 7 days 29-40
Season Total Range 241-305"
Mid Mountain Base 110-166"

from NOAA reno office website. i only kept the good parts. and took out the scientific hogwash

SHORT TERM...

A FEW SNOW SHOWERS ARE POSSIBLE IN THE SIERRA THIS
EVENING BUT NO ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED.

SAT-SUN
THE SOUTHWEST FLOW AHEAD OF THE PACIFIC LOW TAPS INTO SUBTROPICAL
MOISTURE THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR UP TO 2
FEET OF SNOW ABOVE 7000 FEET IN THE SIERRA BY MONDAY MORNING

LONG TERM...MONDAY THROUGH THURSDAY...
ACTIVE PATTERN WITH GRADUAL COOLING TREND LIKELY THRU NEXT WEEK.

MULTIPLE SHORTWAVES MOVING ONSHORE AROUND THE BASE OF THE MEAN TROF
WILL TAP INTO PACIFIC MOISTURE AND SPREAD POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT
SNOW ACROSS THE SIERRA FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

IF ALL OF THESE COOL AND WET SYSTEMS IMPACT THE SIERRA NEXT WEEK AS
INDICATED BY THE 12Z GUIDANCE ...SNOWPACK TOTALS COULD RECOVER TO
NEAR SEASONAL AVERAGES BY NEXT WEEKEND. MJD
snow report
It's snowing today in Tahoe! Kirkwood has already got 6 inches so far (it was snowing really hard when I left today at 3pm) and it is snowing hard now at Heavenly.

Powder Day tomorrow!
ski holidays
It's bloody pissing rain right now in South Lake Tahoe. Was advised that going to Kirkwood would be a waste of time today, so against my better judgement aborted a hopeful sortie to see if there were any spaces on the shuttle bus. Then watched the web reports to see Kirkwood open up and out and Heavenly to pretty much shutdown! Anyway hadn't planned to ski today so not to put out about it.

Hopefully Highway 88 will go in the morning and the 80mph wind in the forecast will hit only Heavenly! Twisted Evil
snow report
Rode up to Heavenly yesterday and saw the mountain was on windhold so drove over to Kirkwood. Was totally the right decision. Really strong winds there but with snow. Was really nice in the afternoon. I live at 7300 ft elevation and we got rain and snow over night which means up at the lifs at 7800ft there was snow. Heavenly claims 8 to 10 inches last night.
ski holidays
Kirkwood Shuttle was fully booked Mon and Tues, so booked it up on Wed and Friday. Had a resonably decent day at Heavenly, but it paid to stay high up where the snow was fairly dry, got completely and utterly soaked by skiing down to Boulder Lodge for lunch where it was pissing it down, thought it would be a good bet for a more sociable munch with no trouble finding a seat.

Around the Olympic and Tamarack Express was the best place to be today, just high enough for the snow to be reasonably dry for most of the run, but no problems with intermittent wind-holds. Getting around some of the flat cat tracks to move around the mountain was a bit of a workout thanks to the sticky snow mid-mountain, so it paid to stick to the same area for a bit.

Skiing the Face below the Tram at the end of the day wasn't the best choice I've made on a mountain, one descent took more out of my legs than the entire White Lady Challenge on CairnGorm last Monday, the snow was seriously hard work, wet heavy knee renching muck piled up on a rather icy mogul field, in torrential rain! Standing outside California Lodge looking like a drowned rat I was able to wring the water out of my gloves without even taking them off....

Temps are coming down, snow is now falling in town in South Lake, powder days are coming up. Very Happy
snow conditions
Colder air pushed in overnight, fluffy snow falling in South Lake Tahoe with a few inches of new snow lying in town. About 30inches fresh at Kirkwood in the past 24hours. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1155 PST
tues March 03

Looks as though Heavenly also got about 30" in the last 24 hrs.
The next couple days look great if you enjoy storm riding.
This storm is setting up nicely for possibly multiple more feet before its over on Wed.
Looks like its a good time to be in Southlake.

[/img]

[/img]
snow report
Storming all day, but epic riding on the CA side of Heavenly on trail, on the groomers, in the trees, packed powder or tracked powder, or deep powder, something for everyone up there and all beautiful snow. Went up from the California Lodge base and stayed on the CA side today as the Sky and Tamarack Express chairs both closed due to the wind, but limitless options off the Canyon, Powderbowl and Gunbarrel Chairs. The Face was vastly more enjoyable today than yesterdays horror mush show in the rain!!

Will post some pics later, anyone posting in this thread in the vicinity of Fire & Ice in the Heavenly Village tonight, lookout for a Winterhighland Beanie! snowHead

Kirkwood tomorrow, should be off the scale as they open up and out with winds forecast to easy early Wed AM. Highway 88 closed both ways at present, fingers crossed Cal Trans win the battle during the night! Cool
latest report
Oh boy, it just keeps getting snowier at Sugar Bowl

http://www.sugarbowl.com/webcams

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
I need fatter skis! snowHead
snow report
I just want to say that Monday through Thursday at Heavenly has been sick! Each day kept getting better and better!
snow conditions
I had problems getting photos uploaded from the connection I was mostly using last week, but got some up from last Wed on Thursday at Kirkwood. If I get time in the morning (PST) I'll upload more from Kirkwood on Thurs and Squaw on Friday. I might even upload last Monday's rain fest at Heavenly !! Got a busy sightseeing schedule in San Francisco Tuesday though! A couple of small pix below, more and bigger ones on the blog.

http://www.winterhighland.info/blog/winterhighland/uncategorized/2009/03/kirkwood-goes-off-the-scale

^Sitting at closed snowgates on the powder day of the season. Sense of deja vu about this scenario !

^Approaching Kirkwood's Timber Creek Base, epic afternoon awaits.
ski holidays
The region has been blessed with the usual sunny weather and the occassional small storm.
Average snowpack on the north shore @ 8200 ft (2500m) is around 140" (3.5m)
Kirkwood and Mammoth mountain 100 miles (160km) to the south are reporting up to 190" (4.8m) base.
Some good storms are possible going to hit in the next week, setting us up for a good spring corn fest.
snow report
Moisture continues to assault the Sierra Nevada (and not the beer). Snow levels haven't dipped below 5000', which is ok since lake level is over 6000'.
snow report
Kirkwood got about 20 inches of snow over the last couple of days. Heavenly got a few inches. We are getting a warm front here now. Today was warm 50F degree weather.
ski holidays
Winter retains a firm grasp in the tahoe basin. Recent snow level in the area has been below the 4000 foot level.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy