Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stockli Stormrider DP + (186 or 193) Anyone got an experience of them?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all..

My 189 Seth Pistol (the green and black ones from 04/05 or 05/06 I think) is too soft for many conditions so i'm thinking of putting a Marker Duke on them and using as a touring ski and need a new "main" ski and was thinking about the Stockli. I like the fact they are meant to be like a race ski but also have the profile to work very well in powder, but most importantly in variable conditions. On piste I think they will also do the trick.

So only decision left is the length...? They come in 186 or 193 (don't fancy a 201 Shocked)

I'm 6ft 2 and about 195lbs...qualified instructor, 5 seasons worked.

They are not that easy to find to demo so think I may have to take a punt and just buy them. Decisions decisions... anyone had any experience of this skis or any advice?

Cheers Alex
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alex A, they come in 174cm too. They're not "meant" to be like a race ski - if by that you mean designed that way.

I would admit - and I do tend to have a slightly odd view on what to ski on - that even I wouldn't consider them a day to day ski. If the Stoeckli XXL is like a wide GS ski (which it is) the DP Pro is like a wide DH ski (yes, I have skied DH boards on occasion). I skied the 193cm and while it was a hoot, they are hardly able to turn on a sixpence. Not what I'd use as my main ski.

I still want a pair though...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I looked into these but wimped out.. I am pretty sure the different lengths have different flex profiles so probably worth looking in to it more. Might have more luck finding info on these on TGR.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
These are a couple reviews of the 07 model I think in the 184/6 or whatever it was.

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=54827

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84343

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 21-12-08 12:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Double Post

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 21-12-08 12:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't think they're any stiffer than the race room Dynastar Legend Pros which I ski as my everyday ski. I'm a bit heavier than you; comparative levels of skiing depends on what level instructor you are Wink

I really like them. There are times when I'd like something a bit lighter or more forgiving but mostly they're great. under a new name has a point about this sort of ski not turning on a dime, but that's not what you buy them for. And if you really work them you can get some pretty nice shortish radius turns out of them.

So, a vote in favour of this type of ski, although I don't have experience of the exact one you're looking at
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Comish on TGR wrote:

Quote:
The ski is a bit lighter and softer than the LP and actually seems to be a hair longer running surface wise because of the flat tail. The main difference though is the flex pattern. The front 12 - 18inches is reeeally soft. Shockingly soft for a Stockli. The LP has a nice soft tip, but its just the front say 6 inches and its just slightly softer, while the DP is downride soft. The middle and tail are still firm, but overall this isn't a beast of a ski as some of the past models were.

Gives you a bit of frame for reference.. can't find anything on the 09 model tho..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, Cheers for the info. I dont think I was very clear that my "everyday" ski will spend hopefully 90% of the time away from the piste. I'm looking for a ski that for example after a 10 day period of no snow in the Chamonix valley would be a good tool for ploughing through the heavily ski'd stuff. One that won't get thrown all over the place like the Seth Pistol as it's tip is so soft. Then when you find yourslef on piste although a compromise you can work it and get some reward back. I really liked the idea of the Dynastar Legend Pro but the 08/09 i'm told has been spoilt and is now like the Seth / Gotoma and fairly soft. The XXL Dynastar is just that bit too fat under foot I reckon at 111m.... so then came to the Stockli DP +.

Arno, I think you know what I won't as it sounds very similar to you for sure. I think the running length of the 186 Stockli would probable be the same running length as the 189 Seth as that's a twin tip. So perhaps the 186 would be the best bet as that will be more versitile than the 193.... hmmmmm..... trouble is I know i'd absolutely love the 193 in many circumstances Laughing (ps BASI 3 in old money and PSIA 2)

Alex
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A, you not just get last years LP and pick it up cheap?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv wrote:
Alex A, you not just get last years LP and pick it up cheap?

Yeah that may be an option. Will have a look online and see if there are any. Certainly save some money on the Stockli Shocked
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeh they are expensive sticks. My local EB (Glasgow) had last years LP's at a pretty good price (if you know a member of SKGB you get 10% off).. they don't have em online but might still in store.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alex A, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding some older LPs online
i have a spare pair of the original race room ones which i might be persuadable to sell
i don't think you should be afraid of the XXLs. i have them in 194 and they aren't really any more difficult to ski than the LPs. you do need a LOT of room if you are going to carve them on piste though
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex A, DP or DP+ ? the wider ones, are, imho (and I haven't skied them) OTT and silly.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wish I'd seen this thread a day or two ago....I rode the Mont Fort cable with Dominic Perret yesterday and could have just asked him for you Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rungsp, Cool.....do you mean he was "with" you or just in the same lift?!

under a new name, DP + 101mm under foot isn't too wide Puzzled All depends on conditions really. I need to have a go really...
snow conditions
Alex A, it's a pair of snowboards - daft IMV Twisted Evil
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
Alex A, it's a pair of snowboards - daft IMV Twisted Evil

Laughing Laughing yeah I suppose you are right when you compare back to skis of the past !! I think I may take some old skinny skis out for a laugh this winter at some stage!
ski holidays
Alex A, I will have at least one day on my Rossi 7SKs. I know of a couple of pairs of Volkl P20s that will see the light of day...
ski holidays
Alex A, same lift...but I've ridden the lifts "with" him a few times now...we are almost friends surely? Very Happy
snow report
rungsp, actually he asked me yesterday if that was you on the lift. He felt rude for not saying Hi...
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
i have a spare pair of the original race room ones which i might be persuadable to sell

Hey Arno, you thinking of offloading these? Fancy a swap for a proper pair of skis? I see a GS ski is definitely missing in your quiver.
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, i am persuadable to get let these go (already have a pair and they have a year or two left in them barring disasters) but not interested in skinny GS skis when i already have fat ones Cool

would consider swapping for Look/Rossi turntable bindings with wide brakes or very good condition dynafit bindings (either the 12 DIN ones or TLT speeds). or cash... obviously
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
Sideshow_Bob, i am persuadable to get let these go (already have a pair and they have a year or two left in them barring disasters) but not interested in skinny GS skis when i already have fat ones Cool

would consider swapping for Look/Rossi turntable bindings with wide brakes or very good condition dynafit bindings (either the 12 DIN ones or TLT speeds). or cash... obviously

I'm keen on those skis if you really would let them go? Didn't know how serious you were. Cash fine or I also have a few Look / Rossi bindings in good nick...they are 190 Legend Pros?
snow report
Alex A, Sideshow_Bob has first dibs but if he decides against, you're next in line
they are 186 - 190s are this year's model only which is quite a different (softer) ski I believe.
on the look/rossi binding front, I am only interested in turntable models with wide brakes (self-bent is OK if it's a good job) or maybe PX15s; otherwise its the dynafits or cash
snow report
Arno wrote:
Alex A, Sideshow_Bob has first dibs but if he decides against, you're next in line
they are 186 - 190s are this year's model only which is quite a different (softer) ski I believe.
on the look/rossi binding front, I am only interested in turntable models with wide brakes (self-bent is OK if it's a good job) or maybe PX15s; otherwise its the dynafits or cash

Ok cool..no problem. Let me know.

I have a variety of Look / Rossi bindings including 2 sets of turntables...one with wide brake and one self bent ! In fact got a third set of Rossi ones too with wide brake that are on my Seths and going to be replaced with a Duke hopefully.

Cheers...Alex
snow conditions
Well, Sideshow_Bob came through so the skis are gone (in one of the fastest deals in the history of this forum I would expect!)

Alex A, if you're open to cash offers on the turntables with wide brakes, let me know. something that could be made to squeeze around a 120mm waist would be ideal
snow report
Arno wrote:
Well, Sideshow_Bob came through so the skis are gone (in one of the fastest deals in the history of this forum I would expect!)

Alex A, if you're open to cash offers on the turntables with wide brakes, let me know. something that could be made to squeeze around a 120mm waist would be ideal

Gutted.. Sad But totally understand..

I'll dig them out this weekend and have a look. I reckon only 1 set will fit a 120mm waist...cant you buy brakes seperately? Although I know not easy.... will see what I can do..

On topic of thread... I think i'm going to now try and find some like the ones you sold and if not i'll get the DP + in a 186. If It was for pure powder then i'd go 193 all day long but I want it for more than that. Dynastar sounds right up my street so will perist looking for some new "old" ones ! Laughing
snow report
German or French ebay might be your best bet

The turntable brakes are a complete pain to change - I think in theory you can get replacements but they are hard to find
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry Alex A, been looking for a ski like a LP for ages, mainly due to Arno's pimping of them. Arno, good doing business with you. The skis are much lighter than my race pairs, probably down to the composite bindings cf the all-metal 916s on my others. With the width it almost felt I was carrying a pair of jumping skis but they proved nimble enough to navigate down Oxford Street and home on the tube Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy