Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"More than 30km of pistes with snow guns are a financial error" reports Swiss researchers

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Researchers from the Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne have concluded that ski resorts which invest too heavily in artificial snow-making experience a negative payback.

This report from SwissInfo.

Quote:
Companies profited from snowmaking but any resorts with an artificial snow capacity above 30 kilometres of slopes stopped benefiting once the financial and depreciation costs were taken into account. The average artificial capacity in Swiss resorts is 20 kilometres.

This report makes no mention of the fact that Zermatt has 313km of runs, 65% of which are covered by various snow-making systems [according to the resort's data]. On the basis of the above, the resort has made a huge mistake. But presumably they see things differently.

Any comments on this?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, It is not clear from the article what has been taken as income to compare with the costs. I assume that it is just lift pass income and perhaps part of or all the tax that forms part of hotel bills. Have they included any of the income generated by bars ,shops etc which would take place if skiing is taking place?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, It does seem bizarre for the Zermatt gnomes to have covered so much of their estate with artificail as a] they get hods of snow, b]it's all above 1600m and c]most of it is north facing.... I should say they have so much money from all their dodgy cartels and captive audience, oh and their rather decent resort, that they struggle to find ways to spend it sensibly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually, Zermatt is in a bit of a snow shadow. They've had many seasons with quite thin cover. They've done extremely well this December but they often receive far less snow than the Italian place on the other side of the hill.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I assume you can have a million snow cannons, on a purely financial basis, and only turn on the ones you need (and hopefully stay >30k.) I didn't ever really consider it, but with something like pumping water around a mountain diminishing returns must kick in pretty quickly for making money off them. I'd be interested to know how they looked at "profitable" though, since it's kind of hard to measure.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I was amazed that in Tignes the Friday before last, when it had been snowing heavily for days with much more forecast and a great base already there, they seemed to have all the cannons in the resort going all day. I couldn't see the sense myself.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely saying 30K, doesn't make any sense does it? It should be a percentage?

If I have 45K of slope and cover it with 30K of snow making that might be silly, but if I have 500K and cover it with 30K that might make sense?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B wrote:
I was amazed that in Tignes the Friday before last, when it had been snowing heavily for days with much more forecast and a great base already there, they seemed to have all the cannons in the resort going all day. I couldn't see the sense myself.

because real snow doesnt last long come spring, the fake snow has a higher melting point and is there to keep the pistes alive in april.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stab, Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stab, I think much of it was blown off the next day anyway Toofy Grin

Didn't know it lasted that long thx.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is a news report into a report. The original may be far more detailed.

The study only appers to have covered a couple of seasons which may or may not be typical. It is very doubtful to my mind that the optimum coverage will be the same for each resort. A major international resort like Zermatt who can expect a long seasopn of high bed occupancy is probably very different from a locals resort like Hoch Ybrig.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, in the 80s I saw a lot of bare grass and rock slopes on the lower reaches of the Grand Motte - in January, in a couple of seasons. I guess they are building up the snow base in anticipation of less good times. So wot stab said, really - though if the wind is atrong, I don't know how good a base will be established.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some reasons this report makes sense:
1. Generally the upper slopes will have decent natural snow cover, making snowmaking on these slopes superfluous in all but the most horrendous seasons.
2. While snowmaking can allow the resort to open earlier and remain open later, these periods are maginal in terms of their ability to attract skiers.
3. What is important is to have good snow cover down to the village. That should be easily accomplished with 30 km of snowmaking with lots to spare on key south facing slopes.
4. I have no doubt that the 80/20 rule holds true for ski runs - 80% of skiers are on 20% of the runs. It is the subset of those runs that are vulnerable to lack or loss of snow that need coverage with snow cannons.
5. The construction and operation of snowmaking equipment is expensive, so even if the added snowmaking brings more income, it may take too long to recover the investment to make it worthwhile.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy