Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fractured Fibula

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Managed to get myself injured in a Karate tournament last weekend. Its been diagnosed as a fractured fibula. I'm not in plaster and the doctor was completely vague about what to with it or how to treat it. I'm skiing in 8 weeks. I'm assuming it'll be fine by then. Anyone else had similar injury? Did it affect your skiing etc?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
garethjomo:
1. You need advice from someone who does know. I am surprised "the doctor" was unsure.
Someone in Sports Medicine or an orthopaedic surgeon should know.
2. You need to convey this advice to your insurance company. Fail to do this and you will probably invalidate your policy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I did mine they plated it! Get some "non-vague" advice, and soon!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Got an appointment for 29th December with orthopaedic doctor who i'm hoping will say plenty of rest should do trick. Its a crack as opposed to a break so hoping will heal pretty soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
garethjomo,

I'd 'guess' the break will be ok..in itself.. it will be the result of any enforced inactivity that will cost you, IMV.

Take expert advice from someone who can assess your leg...forget the quack..!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a tibula break (so pretty much in the same neck of the woods) funnily enough from a Kempo comp.

It took 4 weeks in plaster to heal and a further 6 of rest and slow build up back to fitness.

Mine was a clean break so I presume that yours will take a lot less time.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely skiing doesn't put that much stress on the fibula anyhow?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think it would be one of the major stress bearing bones

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The_Hirsty, the bones in the lower leg are called the tibia and fibula. Does that mean that you half-broke both of them? wink (Sorry, couldn't resist it Embarassed )

garethjomo, the fibula's two main functions are:
Something for various of the muscles on the outer side of the leg to pull against;
The very bottom bit forms part of the ankle joint.

Fibula fractures of all except the bottom bit are usually not put in plaster as it is the tibia that actually takes the weight. It hurts to walk on it because the muscles that are moving the foot and ankle are pulling on the fibula and moving the broken bit. Typically this movement stops in 2 to 4 weeks and it becomes considerable less painful. The problem that I can foresee with skiing is that the outer side of the boot must apply force to the outer side of the leg (and therefore the fibula). However, by 8 weeks the fracture should be fairly solid, but you probably don't want to put yourself out in the backcountry until it is a bit more solid (12 weeks or so)

Jonpim's advice about insurance should be taken.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick L wrote:
The_Hirsty, the bones in the lower leg are called the tibia and fibula. Does that mean that you half-broke both of them? wink (Sorry, couldn't resist it Embarassed )

Apologies for my dyslexia, but does a spelling mistake negates my posts?

But now you come to mention it - a tibia/fibula is one of the most common breaks experienced in skiing. It tends to happen just above the top of the boot.

The fibula does come under stress in skiing. Saying that it doesn't is very dangerous piece of advice. Remember that the weight bearing changes depending on the angle the lower leg compared to the upper leg and foot, eg if one is stand upright or squatting or anywhere in between.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick L wrote:
Fibula fractures of all except the bottom bit are usually not put in plaster .

Mine was plated about 3"-4" above the ankle bone but I suppose that may have been to do with the fact that I totally dislocated the ankle and had other fractures (afik: lateral & medial malleolus, tallus, and one of the cuneiforms from around which the PTT had to be surgically removed to straighten the dislocation Shocked - I don't do things by halves).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I fractured my fibula 2 seasons ago and lost the rest of that season. Had a bone density scan which came back fine so sat patiently waiting for it to heal.
The following season I went out and on the second day had a light fall onto my side and reopened the exact same fracture which was at boot top height.
I had the very common advice from various medical people that 8 weeks and you can ski again! 8 weeks later I had a go and it hurt like hell, i'm guessing the fracture had not fully healed. After all this I have taken this season off, and am going to go see someone later this year before I try again next Winter.
To sum up I would say be careful, as your boot will be applying pressure all the time to your fibula when you tighten your boots up, and any fall will result in your boot top applying large forces to your fibula.
Don't want to scare you, but thought a first hand experience may give you some insight into what you may face.

Wish you a speedy recovery!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A little more info would help. An isolated fibular fracture without any other injury should heal itself. A crack rather than a break is good. A bit like a crack in the glaze of a plate has not left it in two pieces as a break would. The level of the crack might also be important. In any event you probably have enough time for nature to effect the cure. Good Skiing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy