Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hubbie just skied into a rock and knackered his B3s - what to replace with????

Poster: A snowHead
Hubbie had only skied for a season on his B3 and has just totally destroyed them! Keep telling myself a least it is the skis that are knackered and he is fine!
Hoping we can claim on insurance - but the question is - can I have some suggestions for what to replace them with
Think he is looking for something similar - i.e. 70% ish off piste. He is 5ft 8 and quite heavy!!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Totally destroyed them? Are you sure? If it's serious base damage then the whole base can be replaced - although I don't know who in the UK has the necessary press anymore (Gloucester Ski Slope used to have one).

Or is it edge damage? Sections of edges can be replaced, although the edge won't be as strong as is was previously.

Or have they delaminated - although I can see how a rock could cause that.

As for a suggested replacement: try the K2 Apache Chief.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Explorers, Sparks..anything around 85mm, pretty much
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
jayne durham, Off piste Lessons Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Salomon Lord, Vokl Grizzly, K2 Explorers, New Rossis,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys - I'll pass it on when he goes off to look tomorrow.

RobW - yes I think I can confirm they are totally destroyed!!!- tip of one has snapped and is now bent at a very weird angle - and on both skis the top layer has come off the base down a fair length of the ski - (around a third I think) is that "delmaminated". They have basically fallen apart down the length.

I dont know how on earth he managed to do it so badly. I have had my skis for 10 years and there is barely a scratch on them. To his defence - he has his old pair for years .... He was just unlucky???

Ordhan - He was on a blue track!!!!!! Both of his "serious" spills over the years have been on flat blue bits. Pathetic.

We were just pottering down to a lift and somehow he says he caught an edge and seems to have ploughed in to the rock face at the side. Although he is gutted I'm just glad he hasnt broken or twisted anything. The amount of force he must have hit the side with to do that amount of damage to the skis - I think he should count his lucky stars.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, that old excuse: "Yes dear, I accidently skied into a big rock so now I really do need another pair of skis" Wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jayne durham, ring your insurance co. asap and see what they need you to do in order to make a claim......
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Madeye-Smiley very funny Rob!! In this instance sadly not true - they were his leaving present from work and its really quite sad as they were only a year old and I think he was really attached to them (oops pardon the pun)

Kitenski - have done and they are sending a claim form.. Havent got any of the papers here in resort - (typical) - but hope we are covered.
Wonder if they will expect us to send them the skis ...mmmmm

Its the hassle now...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jayne durham, Saloman Lords
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jayne durham wrote:
Kitenski - have done and they are sending a claim form.. Havent got any of the papers here in resort - (typical) - but hope we are covered.
Wonder if they will expect us to send them the skis ...mmmmm

that's the kind of stuff to ask them over the phone, do they need a police report, a report from a shop saying they are knackered, a photo etc etc etc.

Will they cover the cost of hire over there now? If they do will that be knocked off the value of the replacement skis?

regards,

greg
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What ...???? gaylords...!!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Volkl Mantra, the 2009 model is 96mm.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jayne durham, Nordica Dobermann SL-R. Ultimate go everywhere ski. Ask zzz if you don't believe me.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name won't be happy until the whole world is skiing silly little slalom skis Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scott Missions
latest report
Arno wrote:
under a new name won't be happy until the whole world is skiing silly little slalom skis Evil or Very Mad

Nor I, as then I can laugh at everyone else trying to cut through the deep/soft stuff on disco-boards with a few nanometre turn radius. On the GM cable last weekend I had the smallest and thinnest skis there. Clearly what they say about cars carries over to skis Smile

SSB (who skis a 3V LAB as his go-anywhere ski, at least when he's not skiing his 2V LABs instead. Smile )
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, someone on TGR had stickers on his skis which said something like:

"Yes, I am compensating" Laughing
snow conditions
jayne durham, what size are they, my brother is considering selling his B3's 174's, if you want to replace like with like - then yoy may have a spare one! Great condition. Please PM me if interested.
snow report
Arno wrote:
under a new name won't be happy until the whole world is skiing silly little slalom skis

Excellent advice!
snow report
thanks everyone. Not sure masmith- think they are 168 - he's not up yet - will ask him when he surfaces.
Assume the reference to slalom skis means the ones recommended are narrow - and there is a debate here about whether you need wide skis off piste???? Or am I misunderstanding the snowheads banter... rolling eyes
latest report
Arno, that's only because I'm right!
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, yoo is da man and u can haz cheeseburger!!
latest report
jayne durham wrote:
Or am I misunderstanding the snowheads banter... rolling eyes

Laughing Some people are well known for their love of race skis, and some people are known for their love of really fat skis. They will never learn to love each other...
ski holidays
All this triggers one of my "known unknowns". How likely is on slope damage to be accepted as accidental by insurers? I guess the insurer's view can always be "well, you broke them in use - wear n tear or contributory negligence". Will we always need to say "I dropped them, dog chewed them", etc? Views?
ski holidays
dont know sproggski - we will just tell them exactly what happened and see what they say. Will let you know the outcome!
ski holidays
jayne durham wrote:
RobW - yes I think I can confirm they are totally destroyed!!!- tip of one has snapped and is now bent at a very weird angle - and on both skis the top layer has come off the base down a fair length of the ski - (around a third I think) is that "delmaminated". They have basically fallen apart down the length.

Ah! That sounds a bit more serious that just "skiing into a rock". rolling eyes

New ones are required...
latest report
kitenski wrote:
.........that's the kind of stuff to ask them over the phone, do they need a police report.....

Criminal damage? wink
ski holidays
jayne durham, they're not that narrow, just underfoot. Me and the Mrs had a very lovely morning skiing knee deep powder this morning on them (she has the girlies version). A whole load of toot is talked about requiring fat skis.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got back from looking in resort with all the suggestions - Of course none of them in sight!
...and any that are are horribly pricey - 599 euros looks cheap -
Have found 2 shops with reduced skis and think he might just have to settle for anything to get by on till the end of season sales and until we know what the situation is with the insurance!!!
Thanks very much for all the ideas..... will keep a copy of the thread.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy