Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor recommendation in La Plagne area (Montchavin)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,

Am heading back to Montchavin at the beginning of February with my partner, his brother and his girlfriend, to join their dad who is a seasonnaire. They are all much more experienced skiers than me; I can mostly keep up with them (after a week's beginner group lessons with Benoit at ESF in Montchavin, plus 2 more weeks skiing with no lessons) but I want to have a private lesson at some point during the week to make sure I'm not picking up any bad habits by just throwing myself after other people!

I have a feeling the boyfriend's dad will just tell me to go to Benoit again, as he (dad) practically lives in Montchavin during the winter and is dead pally with Benoit's dad who owns one of the hire shops (trying to hire skis anywhere else would no doubt be a big no no rolling eyes ) He was an ok instructor, but couldn't really be bothered to speak English to me when I was on my own in a big group of French beginners. I want someone who will explain to me exactly what I'm doing wrong and help me improve, rather than just saying 'copy me!'.

So does anyone have any experience of good instructors around the Montchavin area? I could get up to one of the other villages in the La Plagne area if it was for a lesson later than say 10am!

Oh and price may be an issue - will prob not be able to afford more than one session. Shouldn't really be skiing in my financial situation but I'm getting the ski pass for christmas and the accommodation's free...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
new ski addict, Evolution2 in Montchavin are very good, better than ESF but its such a small village if you use them you will be spotted!! Also having lesson in Montchavin menas that you spend the first 20-30 mins of your lesson on chair lifts. If you want a lesson and to get fantastic value from it I would book one in Belle Plagne. Potentially Plagne Centre to but with Belle Plagne its really easy to get back to and back to Montchavin.

IMO if you want to hide form Montchavin and also make sure you get great value from your lesson go Belle Plagne? 2 hour private out of Belle Plagne = 2 1/2 hours with the grumpy ESF guy in Montchavin
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hello again Fat Controller - I remember discussing lovely big dumps of snow with you last year! Thanks for the advice - will look up what's available in Belle Plagne, only 3 lifts and one quick run down the Arpette away! You do have a point about wasting time on chairlifts from Montchavin. Is there anyone particular in Belle Plagne you would recommend?

Are you heading in the la Plagne direction yourself this winter?
Cheers!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
new ski addict, Hello again. Noboby I know of in Belle Plagne, sadly I think it will be a case of pot luck with ESF though we did stay in Belle Plagne in April and the kids did use ESF and they were ok. Some people staying where we were in Belle Plagne did have priavte lessons with ESF and they said they were great.

Now the washing line is back open we are staying on les Arcs this year. Going across 2 weeks today and again in March. 2 things important to me in skiing Paradski. Most important the washing line is open and second you can ski the whole way down to Montchavin. Top of Arpette the whole way down to Montchavin is still my favorite run Madeye-Smiley . Enjoy yourself.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi New ski addict - you should try Oxygene in Plagne Centre and ask for either Ewan or Boris. Boris sorted my head out and my sister swears by Ewan.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd second what skim, says about Oxygene. We had two private lessons and two group lessons with Boris last year and would wholeheartedly recommend him.
The other instructors we met from Oxygene all seemed pretty focussed, and a couple in our group had used them for years with nothing but good things to report.

We did a two hour private session over lunchtime which saved a bit of money, and meant we didn't need to rush in the morning - would be ideal for you coming up from Montchavin.
Have fun.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you considered John Thomas of New Generation in Vallandry. One of the best teachers I have ever had, a ski instructor trainer and a nice guy to boot. It would also be quicker to get to than Belle Plagne or Plagne Centre, so long as you have the Paradiski pass.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for everyone's replies! Sorry I haven't been along to say so earlier, internet connection is v slow and annoying at the moment (BT are rubbish) I think Oxygene sounds a good idea; I saw the 2 hours over lunchtime slot on their website and thought it looked good value. May end up sharing a lesson with my OH's bro's girlfriend I think so will have to see what she thinks. TBH I'm really not sure my finances are up to anything more than ski hire this year... Thanks again anyway!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
new ski addict, I don't know which part of La Plagne but Louisa Steiger is very good and works for the ESF - you could do a lot worse.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy