Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000 - getting to 1800 without lifts

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
This might be a basic question for you guys but I need some help!!

Is it possible to get the bus upto 2000 (from 1800) and go down runs to 1800 without getting on a lift?
No black runs though!

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No it's not possible to ski down to Arc 1800 without using lifts, unless you skin up the piste. Arc 2000 and Arc 1800 are on different sides of a ridge so you can't ski down from 2000 to 1800.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ok thanks, its just i'm not very good on the chair lifts, they give me anxiety, stupid I know!
Embarassed
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
1971, I used to be very scared on chairlifts, but it's worth the anxiety to be able to ski where you want. I'm much better now, although some chairlifts still cause me anxiety. It's just a case of getting used to them.

There's a nice gondola from 1800 to the top of the bowl above Arc 2000 (called the TransArc). Are you better on gondolas than chairlifts?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, funny how forums create an image in one's mind about people. Your knowledge and confidence about posting on skiing related stuff (and other topics) here would never have led me to imagine that chairlifts might sometimes present anxiety. No reason to I suppose. Guess that's the nature of forums sometimes. Mind if I ask why?

Mark
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Chasseur, obviously rob@rar will answer for himself, but I reckon that lots of skiers have height or steepness phobias which they learn to conquer, or not. For myself, I'm pretty certain that I will never ski the Vallee Blanche because of the walk along the arrete. And, since falling down the Tunnel at Alpe d'Huez a couple of years ago, I think there are a few steep slopes which I used to ski that I probably won't again: certainly, I had a look at Tortin in Verbier last year and thought, no, don't fancy you any more! Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chasseur wrote:
Mind if I ask why?

Wish I knew the answer to that, just a lack of confidence I think. I'm not especially confident about my skiing ability and have always had problems on some lifts. Old, slow chairlifts are especially bad for me for some reason. Guess I'm just a scaredy cat! If anyone is riding a chairlift with me and I suddenly go quiet and grip the safety bar you'll know why. I'm much better than I used to be, but it's taken many years of anxiety to get to where I am now Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I'll remember that next time we are lifting together!

1971, If you are extremely nervous of the lifts, you can get from 1800 to 2000 on the bus (although you will need to change buses at 1600) , then ski down to Pre-St Esprit (at about 1800m, but still in the same valley as 2000 - won't be anywhere near 1800 town, - but is about a 3.5 km run) and get the BUS back up to 2000 - ie you can have a days skiing without a lift in sight. In fact, is a very cost effective way of skiing, since the buses are free, and the lift pass... well, it ain't.

We will often get that bus if the lift out of Pre (old, slow) has got a long queue - buses every 30 mins: lift takes 15mins, and so a Q of more than15 mins will statisically take longer than a 5 min bus ride!
And if you do happen to see a bus go by just as you arrive, there are two good restaurants for a chocolate stop right by the bus stop...

And of course, then get the bus back to 1800 at the end of the day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimW wrote:
rob@rar, I'll remember that next time we are lifting together!

The Comborciere chair is an especially bad lift for me. If it wasn't the only way to get to Malgovert I think I'd just avoid it altogether!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had a week last year with a burly policeman skier who had a big problem with lifts.
He just shut his eyes and We told him when the lift was arriving at the top.
He started to open his eyes on the lifts about 2 days in and was fine on the bigger lifts by the end of the week.
I never took him up Comborciere... think that might have put him off for life. Twisted Evil

I say try some 5 man lifts with your eyes shut.
Imersion theorpy works.

Tux
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Are there any drag lifts kicking about... don't leave the ground on many of those!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Two, both really tucked out of the way. One serves a very short black piste (and doesn't run all the time), the other a longer red. If you like surface lifts Les Arcs is not a good place to visit.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's watching my kids getting on chairs that really scares me. Doesn't help that my son fell of a chair in Les Gets a few seasons ago. Saw a wee boy do exactly the same thing in Alpe D'huez last year too. Aaargh.

The chair I really hate is the old one man bucket in Sauze, although it runs so infrequently that you have to work quite hard just to get on it once in a week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have had similar problem a number of years ago. I decided with a friend to Ski at Glencoe. No previous problem on chairlifts but this time I wanted to pull up the saftey bar and jump. Sure sign of mild vertigo (this while trying to clock some hours for my P. Pilots Licence where this feeling does not occur). I of course stayed put and had a laugh about with my friend but at the time it was distressing.

After that I always hesitated where a chairlift was required but still got on it. Talk to your friend/partner whoever while going up lift to take your mind away from the situation. Even better take some soothing music on your I-Pod and play it on the ascent.

I am sure you will conquer!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy