Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow tyres & chains: included in rental in Switzerland?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just been on the Holiday Autos website to make a booking from Zurich airport, and the optional extras listed include snow tyres and chains, at a combined cost of CHF13/day. I thought these were automatically included in car hire in Switzerland at this time of year, because they are compulsory, not optional extras. Is this a con to try and make me pay extra for something that will included anyway in the base price? (I vaguely recall a Snowheads thread on this subject in a previous season, but haven't found it)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Julian T, snow tyres are usually included from Geneva (but not necessarily snow chains), but I haven't rented from Zurich.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Julian T, yes, I recall that thread too. Someone had to pay "extra" for snow tyres on arrival, said he didn't want them, was told there was no choice, argued that they were not "extras". Annoyed, but couldn't do anything about it. Best thing might be to ring them. But I have also picked up leaflets in Geneva with these items listed as "extras" (for info of my visitors) and when I asked the guy on the desk (can't remember which company) he said they'd be included automatically in any renting from the UK. So I was really none the wiser. However, if they don't give you chains if you ask for them they should agree to refund the cost if you have to buy them. It's all a bit of a murky area.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I also noticed that snow tyres and chains had popped up on holiday autos website as extras. I checked a competitors website from money supermarket and they did not show as extras (as holiday autos did not last year). Can't be sure what will happen this year but last year from Geneva tyres and chains were included in the price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There have been so many threads on this, that I've lost track a bit, but rob@rar has recently done a holiday autos hire from Geneva (Swiss side) so perhaps he'll be along in a minute, to reconfirm. Edit: sorry, I see OP says Zurich, maybe no use knowing what happens in Geneva. Embarassed
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Julian T, Maybe Zurich is different but I just returned from a trip to Val Thorens in France via Geneva. I hired my car via Holiday Autos, they got the car from Alamo, the tyres were winter type (M&S) and the chains were part of the pack. These were included in the Holiday Autos price.
One missing item were high viz vests.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 19-12-08 1:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The thread you are looking for is this one ( Aka Cheap Car Hire at Geneva, in The Piste section.

Having followed Rob's advice on it, I haven't booked the snow chains or tyres, but am prepared to be billed for them...

Also taking own Hi-Viz tabbards for France.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JimW, thanks for that heads up. i have driven in france recently with hi vis but wouldnt of thought of that renting in CH but driving in france.

my experience from geneva is snow tyres but no chains as standard. my thinking is as it is law in CH for winter tyres that they cant charge extra.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never hired from Zurich, so can't comment on what happens there. I've hired a lot of times from Geneva (up to 10 times a season for the last few years), almost always via Holiday Autos and mostly without paying the 'winterization' fee. Every time the car has been fitted with winter tyres, including when I last went through there a couple of weeks ago. I've read on snowHeads that Swiss rental cars are required by law to come fitted with winter tyres, but I don't know if that's true.

Most of the time the cars also have a set of chains in the boot. The exception to this seems to be cars hired from Budget, but as you don't know which car rental agency you're going to end up with if you book via Holiday Autos it's impossible to guarantee this. I'm happy to run the risk of not getting chains because (a) winter tyres significantly reduce the number of times you will need to use the damn things, (b) it is relative easy and cheap to buy chains for the economy-grade cars I usually hire, so if the road conditions are very poor I'll head into a supermarket on my way to the Tarentaise.

I've bought a hi-vis vest to carry with me as these are now required in France. Apparently you are also required to carry spare lightbulbs for the car as well, but as I have no idea what car I'm going to end up with until I get to the airport I wonder should I carry a suitcase full of different size lamps to keep the Gendarmerie happy...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only ever hired from Geneva and the car came equipped with chains and tyres for no extra.

Are the hire company really going to be bothered swapping sets of tyres/wheels depending on whether the extra has been paid or not? Probably they fit them and leave them on. If you pay the extra fee at the time of booking then they have won on the deal. So hire but don't tick the extras box.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hol Autos customer support told me, and I quote:

Quote:
All cars in Switzerland will be equipped with winter tyres during the winter months

So there.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just how effective are snow tyres? I've seen people in resort driving very quickly in very snowy conditions with no chains (I assume they had winter tyres) when I was cralwng along with chains on.

The car we are getting in Geneva tomorrow has winter tyres and chains fitted - I guess teh chains are for if it gets VERY slippy?

I'm from the tropics - its all alien to me Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Duvet, winter tyres offer significantly more traction in snow and ice than all season tyres. But they're not magic and if conditions are bad you will have to use chains if you want to keep on going uphill.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Duvet, winter tyres are made of a different compound and keep their grip at significantly lower temperatures than summer tyres. The trade off is that they are less effective than summer tyres over about +7°C. Of course when you eventually slip, you slip with the best of them but you should need chains much later with winter tyres than summer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We hired from Geneva the other week through Holiday Autos and got allocated Sixt. We didn't 'opt' for any winter extras. The car had winter tyres, which we assumed it would have and we were not made aware that there would be any supplement for them. It didn't have chains so I requested them and got them for 29CHF. It also did have two hi viz vests brand new in packets in the glove box. Last week we got a bill from Sixt for the chains (expected) and also for the tyres at something like 8CHF per day. I will take it up with HA and see what they say as like previous posts have mentioned this was not really an 'option' and additionally we were not told on collection that we would be charged this.
snow report
Julian T used the holiday autos link for a discount of 10% off rental from zurich airport last weekend

car was from national

didnt book or pay extra for snow tyres/chains but got them both and also a car upgrade Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy