Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone tried the skiers edge trainer ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Flicking through a skiing mag I saw an advert for the "skiersedge" training machine - its supposed to help you train your ski specific muscles etc.

Does anyone have any experience of this machine, good or bad.

Not being very ski fit at the moment I was wondering if I could benefit from using it, and also if it would be worth having for our guests to use at our apartment house in Austria? We already have a cross trainer / eliptical trainer and ski walker and intend to use the spare room next to the sauna as a sort of gym / training room.

Website is www.skiersedge.co.uk

They don't have any prices, which makes me think its going to be relatively expensive!

I have no connections whatsoever with this company, just trying to find out some unbiased opinions!

Thanks,

Bob
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's been a thread on this over on Skiracers

Graham Bell has installed one for us and I'm pretty satisfied so far. Kids find it pretty easy, I'm knackered after five minutes! Certainly soon shows up any hint of deficiencies in balance/technique/fitness Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I havent much thought about this until mentioned here, but am I to assume that the cross trainer isnt at all bad for skiing?

Ad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
wagrainSki, I own one. It is a great exercise for skiing, especially the more plyometric ones that were new a couple of years ago (I'd recommend the Big Mountain series).

I have found the company to be really great to work with, very helpful with questions, and passionate about helping skiers get and stay in shape. And, yes, it doesn't take much time on a Skiers Edge to get wiped! Doing some sprints and about 20 minutes on them each day or so should get you into great shape in a short time.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wagrainSki, I had a couple of sessions on one as part of boot fitting at profeet. They video you on the machine and take various postural measurements, in the neutral position and extended at either side. I think video-ing oneself on the machine could be good for anyone - I discovered that that I was bow-legged when extended, something that's apparently common for keen cyclists.

The machines can tire you out!

There are various models: I think the basic costs about £1,000.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies
Hmmmm it sounds like a good training machine Cool
The website doesn't give any indication of price and I was hoping for around £500 - £600. £1000+ might just be over budget at present with the cost of buying our property in Austria.
Would be nice if they sold ex demo machines at a good discount!

Those that have used one, whats the build quality like? Is it going to last a few years
Would like to buy one, but Suzanne says its too much money at this time Sad

Bob
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
wagrainSki, it's bulletproof. It will last forever. If you were in the US, I'd offer to sell you my Classic (I'd like to pick up the Big Mountain). They seem to hold their value pretty well. You might check eBay to see if someone isn't using theirs!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ssh wrote:
wagrainSki, it's bulletproof. It will last forever. If you were in the US, I'd offer to sell you my Classic (I'd like to pick up the Big Mountain). They seem to hold their value pretty well. You might check eBay to see if someone isn't using theirs!

Thanks, I'll trawl ebay and see if I can bag a bargain. Failing that I might have to wait and see how the business goes in Austria and purchase one at a later date.

Bob
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
wagrainSki, the Big Mountain RPM plus Slope Simulator retailed at £1455 at the end of last year - that's the model I bought. You could try contacting the their UK agent - Graham Bell - a snowHead! The same guy who was rather successfully negotiating a boardercross course behind the World Cup star, Zoe Gillings, on Ski Sunday today (how many takes did you need for that one, Graham? wink ) Maybe you can persuade him to give you a discount? He's often abroad during the season commentating for Eurosport - I was lucky, he dropped mine off on the way to Val for the December WC downhills. Took him just 5 minutes to put it together...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
PG, Still living in the UK untill we take over the apartment house in May when we move to Austria full time!
Would have liked to have used the trainer untill we go skiing in Wagrain for a couple of weeks at the end of Feb, then could have taken it with us to Austria in May.
Will have to see what funds are left before leaving the UK, might be able to convince the wife that we "need" one as a legitimate business tool!

Would be nice if Graham offered a nice 50% discount to snowheads snowHead

Bob
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wagrainSki wrote:
might be able to convince the wife that we "need" one as a legitimate business tool!

Make sure you convince G. Brown Esq too!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
Make sure you convince G. Brown Esq too!

Won't need to, it's his Austrian equivalent we need to convince, which apparently is not a problem. Having seen all the accounts etc for the business we are buying, there's not a lot they don't put through as business expenses!

Apparently, there is a tax allowance for maintaining your property, and if you don't spend 'X' amount on your property, you pay it in taxes. Seems an easy coice to me, pay it to the tax man or make my house look immaculate, err, think I'll spend it on the house!

Bob
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just to echo everyone else really. Bought one this year from the Ski show. Had a couple of queries about it so E mailed Graham who answered them the same day and sorted things out.

It is pretty much bomb proof and should last for years. If you just want it for fitness you can just do lunges/squats/running etc, but you would not build up the muscle memory that you can on the skiers edge. It is also more fun, and I have used it almost every day since it arrived, even if only for a couple of minutes.

I thought I might regret spending that much money on a piece of kit that I have wanted for a few years now. But I dont regret a penny of it.

Buy one!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ssh,

hello, I just got an old classic skiers edge first edition on craigslist but no user manual, would you know where I could get a hold of a manual?

Thanks !! Puzzled Ski Nazi
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obvious place to try first is

http://www.skiersedge.co.uk/

Nice user name btw Sad
ski holidays
I've been talking with skiers edge usa, but they don't have records of manuals for machines that old.

BTW, the name Twisted Evil is a joke like on the Signfeld TV comedy show.
snow conditions
ski nazi wrote:
I've been talking with skiers edge usa, but they don't have records of manuals for machines that old.

BTW, the name Twisted Evil is a joke like on the Signfeld TV comedy show.

As this is a predominantly British trawled forum, we don't quite get it, just like our occupation of Iraq Sad . Some may even find your tag offensive.
ski holidays
Sorry, it was not intended to be offensive. I will stop using it. This will be the last posting with this tag.

BTW, I don't understand the Iraq occupation either.
ski holidays
ski nazi, I'm sure you are not a nazi. If you PM a moderator with a request to change your NAME then all will be solved . No Offence taken by me.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=658
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, fascist Laughing
ski holidays
I've got a version of another similar thing - the Pro Fitter. I actually got it as it is an excellent all-round exercise/rehab machine to get over my bad RTA 10 years ago, but it is excellent for training the ski muscles, too.

http://www.fitter1.com/Catalog/Items/PF2.aspx

Doesn't seem to have so many attachments/options, but then again, it is also cheaper.

The most important thing with any bit of equipment is to actually use it, and you can use this bit of kit for a whole lot of exercises, not just the ski simulation.
snow report
docsquid, That looks like something I could easily fall off and break something! I'll stick to my stepper I think....hmm, that makes me thinK I ought to go use it!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy