Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix for families

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Need some help on choosing a resort for mid February for me the missus and 3 kids.

Ive skied a fair few times now, the kids once but for the wife this is the first time so i really dont want her to be put off on her first trip.

I was just about to pull the trigger on Chamonix and then started hearing how the skiing was a little disjointed and the resort is most of the time shadowed. Would anyone agree or disagree with this?

Oh yeh we,ll be flying into Geneva.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions.

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
suts89, Other people with more experience of Chamonix will be along soon no doubt, but I took my then 5 year old there a few years ago. His planned lessons at the Savoy area were messed up (by the chalet) and instead we had to be bussed to Argentiere, a good ten minutes drive away. Other people were saying Chamonix wasn't the best place for easy access to slopes, other than those at the Savoy, but if by mid-Feb you mean half term week, I would expect it to be very busy there (Ski Esprit have a large property to the side and are in great evidence on the slopes).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen wrote:
suts89, Other people with more experience of Chamonix will be along soon no doubt, but I took my then 5 year old there a few years ago. His planned lessons at the Savoy area were messed up (by the chalet) and instead we had to be bussed to Argentiere, a good ten minutes drive away. Other people were saying Chamonix wasn't the best place for easy access to slopes, other than those at the Savoy, but if by mid-Feb you mean half term week, I would expect it to be very busy there (Ski Esprit have a large property to the side and are in great evidence on the slopes).

Thanks for the input, no i,m a naughty parent and am going the week after half term.

Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Even though it's one of my personal favourite resorts, with kids and less-experienced skiers I'd avoid Cham. Hardly any nursery areas, virtually nowhere offering skiing from or near the door, lots of bus travel between areas etc. Look at Flaine or other Grand Massif resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think you will find the week after the UK half term is the main French half term.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I suspect that the main issue is to ensure the wife has a good time and that requires a resort with something even if she does not take to skiing.
In that respect, Megeve has as much life as Chamonix, ski areas are less spread out and more suitable to your group.
For charm Kitzbuhel takes some beating. Swiss resorts such as Zermatt have longer transfer times.
Others will have favourites, but these would be my starting point. Flaine and Grand Massif in general are aimed mostly at dedicated skiers.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamonix is spectacular but probably not best for kids or nervous / inexperienced skiers. beequin, is right - nearby Megeve and St Gervais are much more suitable. Or for a pleasant ski in / ski out resort in the Tarentaise good for families etc check out Valmorel which is underrated IMHO and not mentioned here that often.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think Chamonix is brilliant for familys, however your circumstances don't sound ideal for Chamonix! As mentioned anytime in Feb is a bit dodgy in France as different areas of France have there hols in Feb and so all resorts can get busy!

If you do choose Chamonix, check out

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46119

for some off slope activties!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to all for the valuable thoughts and tips, i think i,ll give Cham a miss. I,ll let you know where we decided on.

Cheers
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Okay all booked up now for les-Arc 1950 Very Happy

Thanks again for your input.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy