Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

single skiing on a budget

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all ,
I am pulling my hair out trying to find a deal for 1 week ski hol, for myself only in any decent ski resort. I am limited to the 3rd or 4th of jan 09 from either Birmingham or East Midlands Airport.
I say decent meaning not one of those resorts where there are about 8 lifts and very snow unsure !

I have been trying many tour operators websites for a package deal and trying to keep the cost below the £400 mark. I see many deals claiming single rooms for great prices (£250 - £400) but then when i come to book it the supplements are added and a few hundred quid is added on.

I have looked at the possibility of a hostel in a ski resort but find either no room for the week i require or the price is too high.I have seen very cheap return flights to geneva from brum but would need to still find single accomodation and transfers to whatever resort.

If anyone has any usefull links on how or where to look please let me know , and also the best way to sort out transfers from geneva etc.

Iwould love to sort out this hol as i missed out on my last years trip to verbier as i broke my leg on day 2 of the hol.

Thanks for your time ,
curly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
curly,

If you're under 40 and don't mind sharing your room, you'll find it very difficult to beat these:

www.action-outdoors.co.uk
who are effectively resellers of UCPA

Their prices include accomodation. passes and all meals, equipment, plus instruction if required.

Transfer is extra.

A few snowHead have happily used them. Perfect for solo travellers..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a heck of a lot less available this year than there has bene the last few years Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney wrote:
There is a heck of a lot less available this year than there has bene the last few years Sad

and it looks like the 'learn to ski-weeks' are picking up clients in Jan / people shifting to jan for cheaper weeks. Chatting to a couple of ski-beat guys last night they said they're full in mid/late jan, which matches with what others have said about Val T.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just having a look at the site it looks excellent but i am 41 does that mean its a no no ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
curly, Verbier via flight to Geneva, shared scheduled transfer with AlpineExpress and stay at the "summerhouse" attached to the sports centre. http://www.thebunker.ch/
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi curly, I've done a number of solo holidays in the past, and although as alex_heney says, choices might be a little more limited, there will be stuff available. I think as long as you're flexible, and prepared to wait, then wait a bit longer, then wait just a little bit more, you'll probably end up with a steal................ good luck
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27,
Thanks red27 i will look into it
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
curly wrote:
Just having a look at the site it looks excellent but i am 41 does that mean its a no no ?

unfortunately probably yes. They use facilities that are partly funded by the french state to promote sports with "young" people, hence the age limit.
But I hear rumours that during quiet times there might be room for negotiation...I'd call them if I were you..
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf,
i may have too thanks buddy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
curly, I may be able to help - pm me if of interest Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
curly, another vote for action-outoors - my daughter and BF went to Flaine with them last year. Good accomm, very good for the money, and good company - they went because the BF had previously done solo trips with them, and had found it very sociable, with always someone to share a beer or a ski. They said there were definitely people over 40 the week they were there. They went by coach - and broke down twice on the way out - but hopefully that was just a one-off disaster. wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We don't have a single occupancy charge in our Les Coches chalet if you are willing to share with another same sex single (and you may or may not end up sharing the room). We do 3, 6 or 9 day breaks and price for 3rd - 9th Jan would be £228. We offer an evening transfer service from Geneva airport at £12.50 each way (we collect after 19:00 on way out depending on what flights people have booked, and leave resort around 16:00 on return to serve flights after 20:30, sometimes people choose to stay near the airport on their returning night and fly back the next morning).

SO total six nights catered including transfers is £253 if you're willing to share and this is in a ski to door chalet in LEs Coches, Paradiski with a late supper on arrival, breakfast and afternoon tea with homemade cakes daily and a three course dinner in the evenings.

you can contact me at joanne.mountainsunltd@talktalk.net if interested. Otherwise I hope you find what you're looking for Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
curly, It would be worth sending a PM to Scuba-Ski who run a catered apartment here and are very reasonable and very good hosts. they are Snowheads and other Snowheads will tell you that they're good value and very good hosts.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
curly, I travel alone too and I don't think I've ever found catered accommodation for under £400, but I'm usually not far over. In 2006 I went to Passo Tonale and had a single room in a big hotel for £450. The last season I had a single room in a catered chalet in Kitzbühel for £489. This season I have a twin room for sole use in a hotel in Courmayeur (no single rooms available) for £510. Lift pass and equipment hire costs on top of this, all holidays booked via TUI...

I also fly from the midlands wherever possible which sometimes attracts a small supplement but it still pay cheaper than driving down south. Airport parking is normally a bit cheaper too. This season I'm flying from Doncaster which is only slightly further than East Mids...

Happy hunting...
latest report
Joanne Mountainsun, I'm in a very similar situation to curly, and will absolutely swing by your site. Most of my buddies are non-skiers and those that do, it's difficult to nail them down to dates, resorts, etc. Was looking at packages but when you take into account single occupancy charges (of say 50% extra) it starts getting v expensive. Sad Like the idea of a 'quick fix' three days' skiing - was looking at may be long weekend's in Scotland (no, I do not want to open that discussion again thankyou! Very Happy) but may be a cheapie flight and a weekend in Les Coches may be better
latest report
pam w,

Action outdoors is just what i am looking for and Flaine is available .........only prob is they wont answer the phone i have been ringing all morning. But i will keep trying
ski holidays
curly, Hmm. I think their admin is not great; my daughter had some similar problems. But keep trying. Or, what you can do is book direct with the French outfit and make your own way there. Alex said that's what she'd do if they went again, because you pay extra to book through action outdoors and their travel arrangements were awful. Alex has done a lot of third world bus trips in her time, she's not a novice traveller, but she thought Action Outdoors took the biscuit. The trip started with one of the two drivers doing a runner (literally) in the Eurotunnel security area. He just leapt out of the bus and took off. That caused a bit of a delay before they even got on the train!
snow report
pam w,
Oh dear starting to sound well dodgy ......coach crashes and drivers doing runners !!!!!
do you have the link to the French outfit who your daughter booked with , would be much appreciated
ski holidays
curly,

http://holidays.ucpa.com/france_winter.aspx

phone:

00 33 0892 680 599 (0.34€/mn) or 00 33 3 27 47 56 61.
latest report
curly, if you book direct you'd need to get yourself to Flaine, obviously, but it's not that far. My daughter's coach problems were probably just a one-off - you'd probably have no problems at all.
snow report
curly, Have you looked at http://www.chaletarc.co.uk/ . Easy access to Les Arcs / La Plagne (free bus). Cook for yourself if you want. If you fly to Lyon, transfer by Satobus to BSM. If you want to know anything about this place PM me.
Allan
snow conditions
curly,
Mrs DallyPaul says to look at our website (below) and contact her and she can see if she can do you a good deal.
latest report
The transfer to Flaine is fairly easy if you are flying into Geneva. Action-Outdoors use Eurolines for the bus trips from London Victoria - its not the most comfortable way to travel, but it is cost effective especilly during high cost weeks such as Xmas and New Year. The airport tranfers tend to use the local scheduled services or a reliable Chamonix based firm mostly so should be trouble free. The flaine les lindars centre used to be a Club Med so accommodation is slightly better than most centres - combination of twins and quad rooms en-suite - and the equipment was brand new last year. Hope you get it booked OK.
latest report
Quote:

curly, It would be worth sending a PM to Scuba-Ski who run a catered apartment here and are very reasonable and very good hosts. they are Snowheads and other Snowheads will tell you that they're good value and very good hosts.

I second Easiski's recommendation for Scuba-Ski - their website is http://www.scuba-ski.com/ski/index.htm
snow report
I'm looking to go away 3rd/4th Jan too. Take off clearance has been granted by the missus. BHX MAN or EMA. Not many deals are there, at the right price, anywhere in europe? Decent off-piste, excluding Andorra..................

Looked at the links, any more ideas. Mid forties, boarder, own kit.

John.
snow conditions
Kruisler,
Hi,
Just wanted to thank you for your advice , i have booked with action outdoors to chamonix with a full weeks instruction included for a reasonable price . I think chamonix is aimed at more experienced skiers but not too worried as have the instruction and can take it easy if need be.
Thanks again for your time , will let you know how i get on.
snow report
curly, did you have to lie about your age?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BCjohnny,
As just mentioned i have just booked with action-outdoors who do an all inclusive package to severall destinations in france give the site a butchers ..............you never know i may see you in chamonix. good luck
snow report
red 27,
No not at all mate i told the truth and was informed it is not a problem ....must feel sorry for us old folk !!!
I have also seen on the french ucpa website that they can take older people .
ski holidays
red 27,
You're idea of the summerhouse was next on my options list but am doing verbier on 17th jan and fancied somewhere different but many thanks and may try it next year.
snow report
curly, haha - no the reason I ask is that what you've booked sounds great - but I'm 43... Embarassed I'll have a look on their site

where are you staying in Verbs on the 17th?
snow report
curly,
You're more than welcome.

I have used UCPA for windsurfing and (glider) flying lessons before, as a solo traveller, and had a great time on both occasions, meeting plenty of nice people. So I hope you'll be just as happy... Cool
snow conditions
pam w,
Hi Pam,
Took your advice and booked with action outdoors . I decided to book my own flights to avoid the issues your daughter had !
You was also right about the admin but i am finally sorted out and looking forward to experiencing chamonix (only my 3rd ski resort to date)
I love skiing and would like to do it until i can no longer afford it or am unable to physically ......... hopefully well into my 100s .

My father is of swiss origin and used to ski to school every day whereas my mother caught the number 14 bus in brum !
I would like to make up for the skiing that my father has missed out on by coming to live in England at a young age and is no longer able to do.
Anyhow i am waffling on now , thank you for your advice and i will let you know how i get on,
regards,
Curly
latest report
red 27,
I am stopping in Chalet mont fort in verbier with my mates, the 2 hols cost the same when you add flights , transfers ,lift passes etc together but i know it is hard to get a good deal when doing it on your lonesome so i dont think i have done too bad. I broke my leg on day 2 of verbier last year so perhaps the lesson thing might be just aswell !
snow conditions
I'll happily vouch for the quality and value of www.mountainsunltd.com

Just went to Les Coches with them - arrived eve and met at GVA by them, smooth transfer to chalet, late supper, pleasant/helpful/efficient staff, nice room/bathroom/wc, lift pass ready in morning, decent quality/quantity half-board incld afternoon tea, 3 days skiing, left resort on last day of skiing at 1600ish for flight back home. Cost me £154 (£99 + £30 for staying over a Fri night + £25 rtn transfer GVA) + eJ ticket. Didn't pay the single supplement so if the chalet had been fuller I might've had to share my room but overall great value!

Also took a group to Tignes with them last year and had similarly good experience.
ski holidays
curly, great stuff - enjoy... those early weeks when you're just getting the hang of life on skis are the best of your life - best of mine anyway! remember to come back here and tell us all about the trip. Very Happy snowHead
ski holidays
curly, with Swiss genes, you should get good quickly! Have a great trip, and do let us know how it goes. snowHead
snow report
curly,

For future reference, because you've now found something.

As a single/solo it is difficult to get cheap deals because tour operators/ hotels etc don't have many single rooms. I personally don't like hostel type places.

Limiting yourself to B'ham or East Midlands Airports really limits your options because most flights operate from the London Area (sad but true).

There are two holiday opeartors that stand out as offering single share options (you book as a single with no single supplement) but will probably be sharing with another single sharer.

The two operators are Mark Warner and YSE. YSE only goes to Val D'Isere and flies from Gatwick. MW go to more resorts and fly from various regional airports. The late availability options become available about 2-4 weeks before departure date if you're willing to leave things to the last minute.
snow conditions
ANybody have any experience of booking completely last minute - i.e. Friday afternoon - and persuading the TO not to charge a single supplement? (Or indeed if the holiday has become cheaper than the single supplement do you have to pretend to take a friend if they're hoping to make extra out of you in drinks?) Just thinking of the mega cheap crystalski Christmas week offer somebody pointed out.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy