Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Drive Holiday Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

Pleased as punch I found this site, loads of great advice.

I have booked a break during the February half term for my girlfriend and myself as a surprise (not to me obviously). We get the ferry across to Calais on Saturday 14th February and returning Sunday 22nd but that is where the plan stops. I need advice on which ski resort to book.

We are both intermediate skiers, and need to hire our equipment. We enjoy going out for a few drinks in the evening to a nice restaurant and bars, nothing wild though. Looking to keep the cost down wherever I can.

I could do with a resort that won't be too difficult to access, as I will be driving a standard car. I will be buying some chains for the trip.

I have never driven to a ski resort before and looking forward to the adventure, any advice would be much appreciated.

Neil
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There are loads of resorts around Geneva which are probably the quickest and easiest to get to from calais. Unfortunately keeping the cost down anywhere in France/Europe will be difficult for everyone this season.

One option might be to look at the central massif which is probably around a similar drive time but as the big tour operators dont go there you will probably pay a lot less than the "big" by which i mean household name resorts like Chamonix, Portes de Soleil.

You will find that the roads are all cleared quickly after a fresh fall and are a joy to drive on over the other side of the channel, but you absolutely must take those chains. Buy from Halfords and hope you dont need to use them and return with receipt for a full refund. Except for the peripherique the toll roads are great.

Have a look on the ski club gb for an excellent resort guide that will give you a clearer honest opinion of the resorts that are in the region.

I have a personal favourite area that i feel ticks a lot of your boxes but i will wait for others to give you some of their recomendations as there are people here who have a lifetime of experience of many more areas than myself.

Also the search of the forums will give you a wealth of knowledge.

P.S. A big welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Flaine is one thought. Easy to get to, not too expensive, and a good variety of slopes for you. I didn't think Chatel, in the Portes du Soleil was all that expensive when I was there - that was quite a time ago, but check it out. A bit more of a drive, IIRC, but Serre Chavalier could be worth a look.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
achilles,
Quote:

Flaine is one thought.

That would of been my recomendation, but i was reluctant because i feel like an employee of the GM tourist board, only difference i would maybe suggest the GM but to stay in Les Carroz as accommodation will be cheaper, with more choice, as will drinks and meals (if only slightly).

Visited LC last three years but this year going to Flaine itself because of kids skiing convenience.

Serre che good shout but after the drive from calais those extra couple of hours could be a deal breaker when there is no great benefit in going that bit further i wouldnt of thought.

Actually went to morzine in PDS last season with cheap hotel so that is also well worth giving consideration to. I think Avoriaz is quite expensive especially for that week i would imagine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would avoid Flaine during half term - along with the other "big names". My daughter and her BF (teachers!) who are both very experienced skiers were there last half term and were genuinely frightened on the very crowded pistes. They said the lifts coped well - no big queues - but they just dumped far too many people at the top. Snow conditions were poor, which didn't help (they were poor in most places, that wasn't anything to do with its being Flaine)

There'll be a problem finding accommodation at half term, it's very heavily booked already. Presumably you or your OH are teachers, so no choice about the dates?

You should still be able to have a good trip but you need to start planning immediately, not only accommodation but the journey, which - to be brutally honest - will be a long and frustrating one.

You won't have any problem approaching any resort in your car - if you have chains, and are able to use them (many people don't - you see them standing hopelessly at the side of the road with the instructions).

We have an apartment in Les Saisies, a small French resort in the Espace Diamant, with 175km of linked pistes, many of them intermediate. We won't be there at half term - because it's crowded we lend our apartment to friends with school kids and head home for a few weeks. But it's nothing like as crowded as the big resorts. Les Contamines, mentioned above, would also be a good bet, and maybe La Rosiere (reported by another Snowhead to have been not too crowded at half term). A Snowhead who was looking for an apartment in Les Saisies for half term, several months ago, found that there was little or nothing available and it'll be the same story in other places. You might get some offers of catered chalet places from Snowheads with those sort of connections - and you'd do well to snap something up. But get advice about likely conditions at half term; nowhere is remotely quiet but some places are more crowded than others.

But - you may not have a huge choice of accommodation and will need to think hard about planning the journey to try to avoid the worst of the traffic. Lots of people drive down on Friday, maybe late into the night, and then stay Friday night near the resorts, so they can drive up very early on Saturday. The alternative is to arrive very late on Saturday. But you have to book a hotel (which is usually not necessary) and at this point you will struggle to find a hotel for that Friday night.

Sorry, this all sounds rather negative....... but you need to know what you are up against.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, I was going to say that i was there last half term and it was fine and snow was great, then i remembered we went at EASTER i am such a whopper at times.

I thought about La Clusaz but think that it may be a bit small for intermediates for a week.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Westo, Hi to a fellow Scouser and welcome to Snow Heads snowHead

Nowhere will be very quiet, but some places are better than others. Your bigger consideration will be finding somewhere available. I do have some options within easy reach of Geneva where there is still availability, but much will depend on what you want in terms of facilities and amenities, and what your budget is (that means different things to different people!). PM me if you need any help - that's a personal message and you can send it via 'send/read messages', top right under Santa's beard Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ianbradders, Laughing Laughing Laughing Yes, Easter is a far better option than half term.

Westo, sorry, along with all my gloomy doomy I should have said welcome to Snowheads. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Drive straight through or around France if you want a cheap break.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Accommodation may be difficult to find, but in reality it sounds like the world's your oyster. If you have a car, hire the skis and boots in the UK so that you don't waste time and can move around. You can stay in a valley town like Sallanches and use two or three resorts. Austria, or the Pyrenees are similar distances to the French Alps. Stop in the Vosges for a day or two on the way even (if they still have snow there).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Westo, welcome to snowHead

For half term I would seriously look at somewhere off the TO track in Switzerland - no Parisians for a start!! The Graubünden resorts are probably no longer drive than the large French resorts, and that would give you plenty of options. Whilst Davos/Klosters and St Moritz are in most TO's books, with6 separate areas each, they should be large enough for you to be able to find somewhere to ski that isn't crowded out. Lenzerheide would be a decent bet, I would think. Laax would also be a good option, I think - and that's not just because our place, to my knowledge, is still free that week (I would need to double check with the agent though) Wink Our entire valley has quite a few resorts that no Brits have ever heard of so again plenty of choice
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy