Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for some bargain ski's and found these.....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and new to skiing. I boarded last year and got my first taste of real snow but didn't enjoy it as much as i should have....because i was boarding and found i was on my back bottom half the time or struggling to get around the resort and keep up with my skiing friends.

I've just been on a skiing course and i'm now up to an intermediate level i guess (parallel turning etc). Basically i've bought myself some new nordica speed machine 8 boots as they were ideal for my narrow feet with a special insole fitted. I'm now looking for ski's! I quite like the look of the blizzard iqon 6900 ski's in a 164cm length. I'm 6ft tall and weight 69kg. I'm looking to do mainly on-piste but also a little off piste between runs (about 85-90 on piste 10 off piste) I'm not fussed about having the latest top sheets etc and from the manufacturers description these sound ideal for me and would last me a couple of years. However I'm struggling to find reviews on this particular ski.

I have looked at a few other brands but these seem to fit the bill nicely in terms of use and price. A friend who has skii'd for 13-14years uses the 7200's and finds them great, another reason as to why i'm looking at this ski.

what do you guy's think of these? I can get them with set-up for £165 so any others you can recommend up to £200 would be great.

thanks-Hugh
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hugh_b, welcome to snowHead 's

guess this is what you found: http://www.skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Blizzard_IQon_6900_IQ.html

If you think you really need skis then go for it.

Go to your local ski shop and see if they have any of last years kit left.
or
rossi zenith z1 or z3 can be found for £200 ish http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rossignol-Zenith-Z3-Oversize-170cm-Carver-Skis-BARGAIN_W0QQitemZ180292914017QQihZ008QQcategoryZ16062QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262
head xenon:
http://shop.uk.head.com/product/part_number=310508/1259.0.35429.35460.24274.0.0 £225

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 17-12-08 23:34; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hugh_b, I'm guessing that you may not get many reviews of Blizzard skis because they have not been readily obtainable in the UK for many years. However I'm always prepared to be wrong....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not an expert on the matter but I reckon 164s may be a bit short for you...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tommy4681, is right....way too short!
Add 10 cm as a minimu...to be honest i'd add 15-20
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hugh_b, first year skiing? Way too early to buy skis. In terms of size, weight, progression, you sound like me a few years ago - I got some skis very early on and outgrew them quite quickly. I would stick with rental for now. What with maintenance, ski carriage costs etc it takes you ages to get your money back unless you ski a lot. Leave it for a season, you may well be wasting your money otherwise.

Don't get sucked into the longer-is-always-better camp - I rarely use anything over 170 these days, even for off-piste I just go fatter, not longer. Longer skis will give you more float and hi-speed stability, but make moguls, trees and hop turns a chore. I used to go up to 185 but have moved back down in length and can now ski faster for longer in all conditions.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mainly on-piste 165 would be a litle short. They seem to do 171 which would be nearer the mark.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A friend of mine bought a pair of blizzard skis, not sure what model but found they went blunt real easy while our salomons etc stayed sharp, especially as it was icy in tignes and the less sharp blizzards were dangerous on any steeps.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hugh_b,

Have to agree with the ice perv. I have no idea about Blizzard ski's, but I am guessing that at £165 they will give the same performance as a basic rental ski. At your level having your own skis will not make one jot of difference.

Save your £165 and in a couple of years time buy what you actually want and by this time you will know what suits. I know many people who have been on a ski holiday got hooked come home and bought all the kit and invariably the skis have been wrong for there level of skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll deffo look into hiring then guy's, i looked at the blizzards as a friend uses them and rates them quite highly as does his sister both have been skiing for about 13 years! They were originally around the £300 mark. What sort of money am i looking at to hire a good set of ski's for a week?

thanks-Hugh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hugh_b, that is a good ski and a great value with the bindings.

I completely disagree with the posters above , you may have to pay carriage fees with these skis, but you can be sure they will be sharper and better tuned than hire skis, so yes, they can make a difference at your level. Especially once you learn where the balance point is. The length is correct for you for a pseudo-slalom (short turn) ski.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy