Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Purchase.....

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there I’m looking for advice on my purchase of new skis.

A few stats

Height : 6’1
Weight : 9.5 stone (60kgs)
Ski Style : pretty aggressive

Currently I’m skiing on the 2006 Rossignol Bandit B2 but my brother wants to buy them off me so I’m looking for my next purchase. I’ve been happy enough with the B2s but I’m looking for something with a fatter waist, to maybe give me a little more help when off piste.

I’m happy on pretty much everything on piste and ski it quite aggressively but would like to do more off piste and I’d like to find a ski that will still hold it own on the piste, whilst helping me improve and give me confidence in my limited off piste ability. I get about 20 days on snow every year, I’ve skied for the last 19 years but am always looking to improve.

Because I don’t carry much weight I don’t want a big, heavy ski that’s difficult to manage and I’d like something abit forgiving. I’m leaning towards the Scott Missions in a 178cm but people I have spoken to have suggested Salomon Lords and K2 Apache Explorers, I’m not sure about these thinking either that they off too off piste orientated or too heavy.

Obviously I’m going to test a few skis out before I make any decisions but from the information given can anybody offer any advice or suggest any alternatives to try out given my stats?

Thanks for your help in advance. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-12-08 14:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alpinebullit, I skied the Lords and Missions recently. Both were good in the dome despite them carrying twice what they would with you on board Embarassed

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 17-12-08 13:51; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Frosty the Snowman, Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alpinebullit, I would say 168 is too short for you but a lot of length is person preference.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
arv, sorry, I meant to put Scott Missions in a 178cm, I'll edit that now! My Bandits are 174 cm. Any suggestions of other ski's I should demo?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Volkl Mantra (177), maybe a bit fatter than you were looking at but a great ski IMO.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, when in the dome did you ski the Lords longer because of the rocker tip?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Line Prophet 90s. Lightweight, plenty wide enough for off-piste and get good reviews on-piste too. I've got the wider Prophet 100s but not skied them yet. I'm the same height as you, but 85 kg.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
arv, I've heard some great reports of the Mantras and like you people seem to love them, how do they get on, on the piste?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 17-12-08 14:19; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alpinebullit, I skied the 05? which I think was 2mm thinner (94) at the waist but same sorta flex? Good fun on groomers. To be honest they didn't see a lot of groomed runs. Testing them in the dome may be the answer to your question here but I am guessing there won't be much space to open it up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, Dome testing will give me a feel for the skis, on piste, yes, but as you say there isn't enough room to really open them up and let rip nor get a feel for them off piste! Testing and buying in the resort this year, I don't think will be an option because of the crazy exchange rate. Sad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Mantras are stiffer than the Scott Missions, suspect at your weight the softerski will suit you better esp. offpiste. The Mantras are probably better suited to someone 80 kg+ but as with many things a lot of personal preference comes into play.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
In reference to DB's (valid) comment I am 65kg give or take seasonal weight and 6'.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpinebullit, I'm about the same stats as you. Check this thread, lots of all mountain skis are mentioned. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1056425&highlight=venturing#1056425

I finally went for some 178 missions. Gotta wait till new year to see how they ski on some real snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
arv, DB, Fergus, Thanks for your input, it's all helpful advice Very Happy
snow report
Alpinebullit wrote:

.....Height : 6’1.....Weight: 60kgs

uktrailmonster wrote:

I'm the same height as you, but 85 kg.

arv wrote: