Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland's almost eternal snows

brian
brian
Courtesy of the redoubtable firefly on www.winterhighland.info, news that 12 snowpatches made it through the summer in the Scottish highlands.

Garbh Choire Mhor is on Braeriach in the Cairngorms, Garbh Uisge Beag is on Ben Macdui, again in the Cairngorms.

Quote:

In total, 12 survivals:
1) Garbh Choire Mhor - Pinnacles
2) Garbh Choire Mhor - Sphinx
3) Garbh Choire Mhor - Michaelmas Fare
4) Garbh Uisge Beag #1
5) Garbh Uisge Beag #2
6) Garbh Uisge Beag #3
7) Aonach Beag (again, the largest by some distance)
8 ) Aonach Mor (protalus, not the higher ones that survived last year)
9) Ben Nevis - Point 5 Gully
10) Ben Nevis - Gardyloo Gully
11) Ben Nevis - Observatory Gully #1 (larger than last year by quite a way)
12) Ben Nevis - Observatory Gully #2

The lasting snows came approximately 2-weeks sooner in 2008 than in 2007, and a full report will (hopefully) appear in Weather magazine sometime in the new year.

He's also put together a wiki page about our nearly eternal snows:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_patches_in_Scotland
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
IT'S THE START OF A NEW ICE AGE!!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, fascinating stuff. The research I'm doing into a disaster during the Little Ice Age (1550s to 1850s) suggests that Scotland had glaciation during that period, but I know nothing more than that. It'd be interesting to know what research exists. Right here in north London we live close to the terminal morains of the ice sheets of the Ice Age. There's a wood near Muswell Hill called 'Coldfall Wood', which shows the geological evidence of that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldfall_Wood

I wonder how geologists put dates on past glaciation evidence, such as in the Scottish Highlands?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd welcome other snowHead s views on the question I've been mulling over......

Now that the £ is so poor against the Euro and parity (1 to 1 exchange rate) is just around the corner, is Scotland truly a viable alternative to skiing in Europe?

I appreciate that you will not get the variety and 'depth' of skiing/facilities that the European resorts offer, but for us that want a quick ski fix (long weekend of skiing rather than a week's hol) is it as cheap and easy to jump on a budget flight to North of the border?

And if not Scotland, where?

I have to say that I've been looking at non-Euro countries for deals. Have always had a liking for Sweden so Åre, Vemdalen, Riksgränsen are on my list. But how about Zakopane in Poland for example. I even heard that Iceland which was traditionally incredibly expensive has seen a big increase in tourists since their currency went splat and everything is so much cheaper - according to an article on the BBC it's cheaper to buy a beer in Reykjavik than London!

Article - Tourism heats up after Icelandic Meltdown: 400% increase in Iceland flight searches
http://news.skyscanner.net/articles/2008/10/000666-tourism-heats-up-after-icelandic-meltdown-400-increase-in-iceland-flight-searches.html

What are people's views? What are the pros, cons, etc
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I remember a significant snow cap (area and depth) on the summit of Ben Nevis in June 1982 (during a week of fantastic weather).
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sleipnir, we had a bit of a discussion about this recently in a thread titled Ski in Scotland - click here to read it. Hopefully that'll help you, as you can see there are some who seem to have taken against Scotland but many, like myself, think they're utter plonkers for doing so Toofy Grin and have had some of our best ski days up there (along with some of our less good ones lol Laughing ) but if you don't try it you won't know - just don't book far ahead, particularly outside of March/early April.

If it doesn't answer all your questions I'm sure if you ask some more on the thread I mention you'll get a response reasonably quickly snowHead

... mind you Iceland does sound tempting now I've read that article you link to!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-12-08 13:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a recent and fairly sizeable thread about this. I can't find it, but I can easily summarise it:

It's brilliant, no it's not, yes it is, no it isn't, yes it is, etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah paulio ve meet again... Wink

Yeah, that's the thread I've linked to right above your post you plonker Wink Laughing NehNeh
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haha, hello roga, I posted that while you were posting yours Neh Neh
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
^ that's your excuse, everyone else might believe it... Wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh, and hello snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was making a semi-serious point as well (believe it or not) - i,e, that the question 'is skiing in scotland worth the bother' seems to be divisive to an almost binary degree. I thought it was ace, but it's probably not for everyone (and I had reasonably good conditions - over 30% of the area open, visibility above 50m, only raining some of the time, skis with plastic bindings fitted, and so on).
ski holidays
 brian
brian
laundryman, I've skied at Glenshee once in June. '85 I think. Butchart's coire was still complete.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks roga, paulio,

Have I prodded a bit of a hornets' nest here then folks?........ooops!!! rolling eyes Confused

I can always ask about the wearing of helmets and ski boots in hand huggage is you wish - DOH!!!! Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, start a thread entitled "Which is better: La Rosiere or Scotland" and the world will probably end or something.
snow conditions
 Poster: A snowHead
Sleipnir wrote:
Have I prodded a bit of a hornets' nest here then folks?........ooops!!! rolling eyes Confused

Not a problem, as we say mixed opinions really but I think there are many, like Paulio, who have tried it and enjoyed it, many like me, who grew up with it or live in close proximity to it, and love it, then there are some who for reasons best known to themselves loathe it and some of them seem to have an issue accepting that some of us have had days up there that are as good as we've had anywhere.

I wouldn't worry about asking questions, please keep asking as long as you like snowHead
latest report
Thanks folks!

And paulio, as for starting the thread you suggested, if you don't mind I'll pass on your very generous offer..... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
Sleipnir, start a thread entitled "Which is better: La Rosiere or Scotland" and the world will probably end or something.

Well actually we did something like that after we got back from Cairngorm & Nevis back in January, IIRC a "10 reasons why skiing in Scotland is better than skiing in France", did we not revive it after Easter at Nevis paulio?

I seem to recall pubs/Beer, curry and fish & chips figured quite highly Toofy Grin
snow report
A couple of shots of the summit of Ben Nevis in June 2007. Mid 20sC, hot and sunny at valley level.

Not sure I'd want to try skiing although the field shown in pic 2 would have allowed a couple of decent turns. Most of us were happy to slide down on bin bags Laughing
ski holidays
If there is a moderator around can I suggest merging this thread with where to ski in the summer?
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
If there is a moderator around can I suggest merging this thread with where to ski in the summer?

Can I un-suggest that...

... the posts on skiing in Scotland should be moved but the thread and posts with info/discussion on snowpatches left as a separate thread IMHO. Toofy Grin
snow report
roga,
Sorry, shoulld have included a smiley,was said in jest. I think it unlikely that Scotlands summer snow patches are going to attract large volumes of summer skiers.
latest report
Apparently you can even ski in England this year! - check it out:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2008/dec/11/skiing-snowboarding-wales-england
ski holidays
SkiRabbit, You can normally ski in England most years
latest report
There's not much to add to what's been said already. Skiing in Scotland is, in general, not as good as skiing in the Alps (in general). But you can have great days in Scotland (and lousy days in the Alps). For Scottish skiing (if you're travelling a long way to get it), it is worth checking the conditions and making sure there are enough runs to make it interesting.

The last time I skied in Scotland was February 2002, when I made a "Grand Tour" to celebrate the 40th anniversary of my first ski day at Glenshee. Conditions were pretty terrible, narrow runs and icy (but you could get pie and beans for lunch, which you don't find in the Alps snowHead ). I enjoyed it but I was in a nostalgic mood. My friend who fell on ice and ended up with stitches in her head maybe wasn't so enthusiastic.

But, as I say, with the right conditions, it can be great. And it's always fun! (Well, almost always)
snow report
espri,
Quote:
but you could get pie and beans for lunch, which you don't find in the Alps
That's certainly one argument in Scotlands favour! Wiener Schnitzel, Gulaschsuppe, Kaiserschmarren & Weissbier vs Pie and beans. No contest!
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
roga,
Sorry, shoulld have included a smiley,was said in jest.

S'okay, it might be an idea to separate the two threads but if the OP doesn't mind too much I guess we can get away with it.

Quote:
I think it unlikely that Scotlands summer snow patches are going to attract large volumes of summer skiers.

Oh I dunno, I bet the various glaciers on the continent are quaking in their boots Wink

Take a look at these photos though of summer snowpatch action at the Gorm, some cool shots IMHO, more on the site too snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chrisb wrote:
SkiRabbit, You can normally ski in England most years

Milton Keynes, Manchester, Tamworth.................................

All pretty much year round skiing.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boris wrote:

Milton Keynes, Manchester, Tamworth.................................

All pretty much year round skiing.

The romance of it!

And it's such a bargain too.

Not.
ski holidays
roga, those photos are well good and i bet you mad a hell of a better time than anyone at manchester chill factore Boris, not a fan of indoor snow
ski holidays
A glacier is nothing more than eternal snow.
latest report
 brian
brian
James the Last, not true. A glacier is a moving mass of ice formed from compacted layers of snow.
latest report
Boris, err - have you been reading the threads about yad moss, raise etc????? Not all in a fridge, and I'm sure it's much better value.

brian, Well said - I find a lot of people think a permanent snowfield and a glacier are the same thing - I blame the education system. wink wink Laughing
ski holidays
brian wrote:
James the Last, not true. A glacier is a moving mass of ice formed from compacted layers of snow.

Indeed. Sorry, that was intended to be an ironic comment based on the "Oh I dunno, I bet the various glaciers on the continent are quaking in their boots" observation. OTOH, were glaciation to recommence, these would very likely be the places where glaciers would start.
snow conditions
James the Last wrote:
Indeed. Sorry, that was intended to be an ironic comment based on the "Oh I dunno, I bet the various glaciers on the continent are quaking in their boots" observation.

Which was my silly comment Toofy Grin
Quote:
OTOH, were glaciation to recommence, these would very likely be the places where glaciers would start.

Yes, I believe there are some suggestions that there was glaciation in Scotland during the 'little ice age' which apparently lasted from the 1500s up to the early 1800s (I thought there was a bit on this in the Wikipedia page but it doesn't seem to be there now?).

Of course the shape of the Scottish mountains are the result of ancient glaciation, they were once far, far larger but some of them are up to 10 times older than the Alps (450 million years as opposed to 45 million IIRC) and were ground down over millenia to the shape we see today, in fact some of the rocks seen in the Scottish highlands are amongst the oldest in the world. I think some of the mountains geologically are a part of the same range of mountains as the Scandinavian mountain range in Norway, Sweden and Finland.
snow report
Oh roga, I thought you were being serious... Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy