Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Answer to this question?

Poster: A snowHead
I am going with the lads ski-ing in 4 weeks and was going with the family at easter, now Mrs jasonW has said she might stop at home with our youngest princes. the eldest princess still wants to go and is already looking forward to it, so me and her are still going, the qustion I have is has anyone else done this before and how did they play it.

I have 2 choices here,

1, just blob about with her on the nursery slope and make it as fun as possible and treat it as her holiday and do what she wants to do or,
2, put her in ski school so i can ski to.

the pros and cons are these that i can see,

Pros.

she gets expert tuition
I get to ski

Cons

she doesn't enjoy ski school
I ski and hurt myself and ruin the hol for her.

Jason snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 16-12-08 20:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how old is the eldest priness and what does she want to do ?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JasonW, How old is she? I always take my daughter alone, first time at the age of 8.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
she has just turned 5 last week, I have it in my mind that cause it is just me that is taking her what happens if I fall on the first day and hurt myself and ruins her holiday, I know its a what if and things like this don't usually bother me but if I ruined her first ski holiday she might not want to go again
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Me too from 7...She not bad reds with confidence usually its more fun than the lads trip..

The downside is she get better than you quicker...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cfc5mu0, so did you put her in ski school on the first one
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JasonW, if she does not go in ski school then what would you do, teach her yourself? Not as easy as it may sound. Ski school seems the right way to go, if you want to 'protect' yourself then why not enrol for ski school yourself during the same times ? Where are you off to, do you know yet ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith, prob soldeu, i know this area, good shout about the lessons, i could have 1-1 for me to take me to the next level whilst she is in ski school
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Speaking as someone whose parents put them in ski school when they were a child, I would say do it.

I don't remember the experience at all, but I do now at the age of 20 ski amazingly and only have my parents to thank for that, and looking back I'm rather glad they enjoyed their holidays then, I'm sure raising a child probably requires a couple of breaks.

She'll thank you eventually, when she's doing double superman front flips. Even Seth Morrison started somewhere!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last winter put my daughter into ski school at just over five years old.
First afternoon kept on crying, instructor really tough but quite rightly.
Didnt think she would go back second day but said she would go for one hour. It just clicked and end of day 2 instructor said that is it now she can ski, she will be okay.
End of the week going on chairs on her own skiing down reds.

She is desperate for March to come for our next trip.

Get her booked in to school and have a gentle blast on your own, then have a gentle ski together.

Im getting all tingly thinking how emotional i was when she was on those slopes, so proud.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ianbradders, tonight she can homee from school and got me to make her a hot choc with cream on it and put ski-ing on sky+, she already got the ski-ing bug wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski school in the AM while you have your fun
Then ski together in PM or sledge, build snowmen etc
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski school vote from me, by the end of the week she may be a better skiier than yourself Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buckers, buckers, I admire your modesty Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
masmith wrote:
buckers, buckers, I admire your modesty Very Happy
I was thinking that, blows his trumpet better than douglas the bread man
ski holidays
Definately ski school , they love it and then take you all over the mountain showing you where they have been , (you will be surprised) not so funny when they say ' Dad , the weather so was bad we skied 'Le Face' all morning as it was protected from the wind. I get as much pleasure seeing and skiing with my son as a day in the powder. Tom is 8 and he has challenged me to a slalom race in Val D'Isere when we are there from jan 11th. Based on the last video , I might lose. (need to watch in high quality and full screen)

http://uk.youtube.com/v/IfLfZnJcCME
snow report
JasonW, what about group lessons for yourself? OK you may not advance to the next level as rapidly as with private lessons, but maybe some adult comapny for a couple of hours a day could be welcome? I don't know, very much depends what you want out of the week, I can also see the positive side to getting away from the grown ups and spending quality time with the little one(s).
snow conditions
masmith, JasonW, I didn't intent to compare myself to Seth Morrison or insinuate I can do double superman frontflips due to the fact I can't.

But I'm definitely a better ski that I would be if I hadn't gone to ski school.
ski holidays
buckers, i know pal only joking wink
snow report
buckers, I know it can be difficult to describe how well you can do something while at the same time not overly boast about it, I've had this same problem for years. As with JasonW, it was but a joke!
ski holidays
masmith wrote:
buckers, I know it can be difficult to describe how well you can do something while at the same time not overly boast about it, I've had this same problem for years. As with JasonW, it was but a joke!

and prob a few others as well wink
snow conditions
JasonW wrote:
masmith wrote:

and prob a few others as well wink

Too many to list
ski holidays
As a SH, your never alone, no matter how weird you are, there's always a weirder SH.
latest report
Not sure about a 5 yr old. I took my 14yr at easter. Fourtunately we were in a chalet with people we know. She did ski school in the morning and skied with me in the afternoons.
snow conditions
Whether you are alone with her or not I would say it's essential for her to have lessons. Through necessity I've taken my daughter away on summer holidays since she was 5 and skiing since she was 8. It can be difficult without her mother but great fun too (except hair brushing, etc). At 12 after about 8 weeks skiing my daughter is skiing very well.
ski holidays
Started both of my sons at five. Both went to ski school in the morning and skied with me, went swimming, sledging etc in the afternoon. One loved it, now does race training twice a week, the other one wasn't so keen and now only skis when we go on holiday. Depends on the child, but I think it's more likely that they'll enjoy it if they go to ski school.
ski holidays
JasonW, where are you going, and what sort of accommodation?
ski holidays
pam w, soldeu staying in the sport hotel
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JasonW, I think there's a lot of potential for disaster if you try to teach your daughter from scratch. Find a good ski school and enrol her for a couple of hours each day.
snow report
I was a good bit older than your daughter when i learnt but i found i learnt a lot more when my uncle taught me than in ski school and i never really enjoyed ski school. Had i just been taught in ski school it is very unlikely i would be on snowheads now.
ski holidays
I took mine first when they were 8. Put them in ski school, met them at lunch times. They loved it.
More Pros
She will have some pals her own age, and they may well be interesting foreigners
She will get professional tuition
She will be safe
She will have a happy Dad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy