Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waxing - what do I need to know

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Bought first skis a few weeks ago, living near the alps so they will get regular use. Do I really need them serviced every few weeks.

Is there an easy home wax solution? do I need to use hot wax, someone told me about a wipe on type of wax.

I am not a performance skier, just recreational speeds so what is the minimum I can get away with
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also need some info on this. I bought some of the liquid, wipe-on stuff in a bottle but am not sure how effective it is....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Check out snowheads' own Spyderjon's web site http://www.skituning.co.uk/ which has a guide on it: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/22/34/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Buy a cheap travel iron, a scraper and some all purpose wax.

It's cheaper and easier than those things in a tube.

Drip wax on, iron it in, scrape it off and ski.

I can wax skis, but I can't iron a shirt!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Waxing - what do I need to know...........
..........Is there an easy home wax solution? do I need to use hot wax, someone told me about a wipe on type of wax. I am not a performance skier, just recreational speeds so what is the minimum I can get away with

err....yes there are home hot waxing solutions. Now while swimmers do it to make themselves go faster, I am not sure it'd work for skiers and you wouldn't like the pain anyway.....!

sorry, couldn't resist
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ask Spyderjon, enjoy the DVD, and if you decide to wax on the patio in the summer, make sure you protect the floor tiles!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JulesB wrote:
Ask Spyderjon, enjoy the DVD, and if you decide to wax on the patio in the summer, make sure you protect the floor tiles!

and make sure the neighbours aren't watching rolling eyes
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
stevev, it's OK I think they ski as well. Many a time I've seen her hold it steady while he takes the grease and wax off in his shed!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mmm this did start out as a serious question
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevev, some women will do it for you but thankfully don't need you to do it for them too? wink

Minimum you'll get away with is do nothing apart from sharpen the edges. They'll generally work just fine, however you won't be getting the best from them and they probably won't last as long. The wipe/rub ons/Zardoz don't last so can help a bit if you haven't waxed for a long time but relatively expensive to use. Zardoz is also good even if they have been waxed. If you have the space/time it's worth learning to hot wax, which is cheap and pretty easy if messy. I never do it these days, but I do get my skis serviced by people I trust. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevev, my apologies. The first post was serious (for me), and I would add that if you care for your skis get someone you trust to service them or do it yourself if competent (got that from the DVD), but then I saw that the "Clue" documentary was being repeated last night!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're skiing regularly through the season, it's cost effective to do your own tuning and waxing. As a minimum you need a side edge tool, hot wax, iron and scraper.
Spyderjon is the resident expert here and can advise on suitable kit.

I usually hot wax my own skis every week of skiing (plus a daily wipe with Zardoz). I sharpen edges every couple of days depending on conditions. If you keep on top of them it's very quick and easy. If you allow them to get really blunt/rusty it becomes far more of a challenge.

You still need to get the bases professionally re-ground after they've taken a good beating. I usually get this done after 4 or 5 weeks skiing, again dependent on conditions.

The basic aim of home tuning is to keep your skis in close to new condition with the minimum number of base re-grinds.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
uktrailmonster wrote:
......The basic aim of home tuning is to keep your skis in close to new condition with the minimum number of base re-grinds.

Cool
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy