Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Skis ... any good?

Poster: A snowHead
My brother-in-law has a pair of K2 Moto Cross 06/07. They were recommended to him by an instructor and by the way he skis the piste on them, they seam to be great fun! However, until today, i'd never heard of K2 (shoot me now if necessary).

So, what are they like? Do K2 make good skis? Anyone got a pair?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

never heard of K2

It's a big hill in the Himalayas wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jonm, .... oh yeah. Laughing

Back to the serious stuff now. wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apache Recons are prob the most popular x mountain ski, they are pretty good
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
k2's are massive in the park world and wannabe all mountaineers but then that includes me too, so i cant say anything!!!

the best ski was prob the Public Enemy which has now been superceeded with the extreme, exactly the same except the top sheet is supposed to be harder wearing, which was a problem on the old ones, I think K2 have a reasonable ladies line also.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They've been around for years. My first 'owned' skis were K2 TR Comp, 195cm with Salomon 957 Composite bindings - GS skis I think they were. Bought them in 1989 and only binned them about three years ago when clearing out the garage. OH would not let me ski on them in recent years.

Almost invested in some Apache Recons a couple of years ago but went for Atomic GS9's instead.

They were (are?) great skis though.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 17-12-08 10:26; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
while you're at it can you tell me if salomon, volkl, atomic and rossignol are any good? Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you've posted 1020 times...

hence i think you're fishing Very Happy

Just in case you're not though...

here's a bit of history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K2_Skis Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can vouch for the Atomics - love mine. Not sure how they'd cope off-piste though (I'm strictly a piste man!) - depends on what you want.

Don't know about the others, but I'm sure someone will be along soon....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
K2 are a mainstream major ski brand, been around for donkeys years. First pair of K2 skis I owned date back to the early 80s.
Surprised you've never heard of them really. Most shops stock them.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had the same as Jon.L green K2 logos all over, they were a superb ski. They are an American brand.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
used to be great, went through a sticky patch re quality, now back on form again. I has a pair of 8.3 Extreme years ago, loved them.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the info. shoogly, seriously no fishing going on here ...

Ok so it really looks like I should have know about K2's. Embarassed Until recently when i've started to look into buying skis, I normally walk into a ski shop, look at all the nice colours on the skis ... and walk out thinking one day i'll have enough cash.

Right, next step ... which one's for me. The Recon as an all mountain ski as suggested above me thinks. However, I know I can get a new pair of the Moto Cross' my brother-in-law has for 299€.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
what kind of skiing do you do?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, i'm happy on nearly all pistes, not great on bumps and not really got a clue about off piste but would like to venture out there. For my skiing right now, a good carving ski like the K2 Crossfire would be great but I think it would eventually limit what I want to do because they seam too narrow underfoot for off piste. That's why I thought about the Apache Recon.

What do you reckon? A safe bet?
snow report
... oh and i'm unlikely to buy skis in the next few months until i've been to the Alps and tested some. I want to make sure that if I went with something like the K2 Recon it is the right ski for me. At the moment, i'm just getting an idea of models I maybe interested in.

Cheers
ski holidays
Why not buy them before you go? If you've got a good local retailer, although you may not be able to try them but they should give you some sort of satisfaction guarantee so if you don't like them you can return them at no more than the cost of the rental you will incur, particularly with the euro situation at present......!
snow conditions
Kersh, No need to limit your choice to K2, especially as you have never heard of them Very Happy
There are dozens of other worthy alternatives from Dynastar, Rossignol, Head, Volkl, Atomic, Fischer, Salomon and more.

Maybe start by browsing the manufacturer websites and form a shortlist of their all-mountain offerings. Then do a price search to help narrow it down further. Then pick the ones with the coolest graphics Wink
latest report
Saloman X Wing Tornado's are also a good and popular X mountain ski, agile on piste, great carvers, and can handle all but really deep powder, also chew up the crud with no probs. I can recomend the Tornado's but also like the Recons, K2 have also just brough out the Recon Xplorer that you might want to investigate......my brother in law has just bought a pair, they look good and I will b trying them out in a couple of weeks... snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
alpinequeen, I am really trying to resist buying before I go. I feel it's important try out some skis before buying. I've never ski tested before so I should at least give it a go. I'm not going until the last 2 weeks in March so i'm hoping there maybe a few bargains to be had (a bargain that maybe complete wiped out by the £/€ exchange rate). If not, well there's always next year.

uktrailmonster, i've had a look at quite a few other brands. I was looking at the Volkl AC30 today but I think it maybe too agressive for me.

Make a shortlist .... i've already started!!! Toofy Grin I'll take a look at the Saloman X Wing Tornado too. JimSearle, let me know what you think of the Recon Xplorer. wink

Cheers
latest report
Great kit if it is good enough for Doug Coombes it is good enough for me!!! Had a pair of public Enemies and can only say good things about them. I know that the Recons,the Tornados, magfires, and Nomads are all great all mountain skis.

K2 do have good kit and the Coombes are meant to be awsome.
snow report
Kersh wrote:

uktrailmonster, i've had a look at quite a few other brands. I was looking at the Volkl AC30 today but I think it maybe too agressive for me.

Had a very quick demo on AC30s a couple of years ago. Quite stiff and powerful from what I remember, but decided they weren't quite what I wanted for mainly soft pistes and powder. Prefer Head Monster iM82s, which are very good at most things.
snow report
uktrailmonster, thanks for the info. In that case i'll give the AC30 a wide berth as I don't think my skiing is up to that.

Cheers
snow report
Kersh, If you want something capable, but more laid back, then Rossi Bandit SC80s might be a good choice. Haven't tried them personally, but the older B2s were an easy ride and quite versatile.
snow report
I own a pair of 2007 Crossfires, 167cm, they're the best skis I've ever tried. I remember they were scarily quick on my first couple of weeks on them, but this may be to do with me always hiring skis before and these were brand new without any scarring or dents.

The quickest I rented were a crazy pair of 172cm Volkls in 2006, a bit long for me I thought (I'm 185cm tall) but the hire guy said give them a go. I went like the clappers down the Combe de Saulire in Courchevel a couple of times and I was hooked.

I think the Crossfires carve better though, and I'm predominately a piste skier anyway. My mate last year on my recommendation when he was with me in Meribel rented a pair of Recons, and he loved them. There's an extra couple of cms of width along the ski, especially under the binding area, and it seemed to have given him extra oomph in the deep stuff when we skiied through a blizzard above Mottaret. But then again he is Swedish and has been skiing for around 20 years since a nipper.

I'd suggest you try out the Recons for a day or two if you're not sure, and then maybe make an offer on them in a hire/purchase deal if you can? My mate took two days to get used to them, it took me longer to get used to my Crossfires but I love them now.
snow report
Kersh, agree with tommy10pages, on the Crossfires - bought them a couple of years ago and are fantastic. Bought them after Daily Mail Ski mag rated them as one of the best skis of the year
snow report
tommy10pages, thanks for the info. Sounds like I should add both the Recon and the Crossfire to my list to test and see how I get on.

If I bought a pair of all mountain skis, should I learn off piste first so I can then test the all mountain ski properly? At the moment as i've said, i'm not an off piste skier. It's on my wish list of things to do so when I test skis this year, it will be on the piste. I therefore assume i'll like the Crossfire more than the Recon because I like carving. I'm a bit worried that i'll end up not liking the all mountain ski as much as the piste ski but buying it anyway ... so I can ski somewhere I can't currently ski.

Is this a sensible move or am I just thinking about it too much? Puzzled
snow conditions
Kersh, You can ski off-piste on just about anything. Don't let the marketing of all-mountain skis put you off too much. It's true that wider skis make it easier to ski off-piste, but most modern recreational "piste" skis cope reasonably well too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh, My mate was fine on the corduroy with the Recons, as quick as my Crossfires. But he was better in the fluff, by a little bit. It's up to you, either ski has its pluses and minuses. I'd try them out with a view to buying.
snow report
fwiw, i've skied the recon, crossfire and xplorer (and now have the xplorer).

I'd say the xplorer is just as quick turning as the recon and actually a wee bit more forgiving... that's what i felt anyway. Both skis are capable of high speed carving as well and the xplorer actually has a larger sidecut, but with a slightly different shape which makes it easier to ski in soft snow. It's more stable and more fun and just as turny as the recon so i don't really see why you'd get the recon over the xplorer. All personal though so others might have different thoughts.

The crossfire is a different beast all together, imo. On piste it's absolutely phenomenal. Put the power into it and it's very quick but very smooth. It's like a train on piste and quick turns at speed are easy peasy, as long as you don't get in the back seat or let the ski overpower you. I only skied a small amount in softer/deeper snow and wouldn't want to go anywhere more serious than that with them off-piste. Just not stable enough in those conditions.

Now, i'll add another couple of skis into the equation for you Very Happy

I had, as did another couple of snowheads, the Fischer AMC79. Brilliant ski that could ski the whole mountain. It was a bit lighter than the K2s, but not where near as smooth (damp). they were really fast and gripped better on the groomers more than most other skis i've been on. They've been replaced this year but they are available heavily discounted as they're now last seasons models. The AMC73 has a deeper sidecut and shorter turn radius but are still wider than the K2 Crossfire underfoot. I've not skied the 73 but have spent time with a mate who has them and he loves them for most all mountain conditions.

As has been said though, there's loads of skis out there - go try them then buy the ones that make you happiest.

Very Happy

oh... and with all of these skis, it is possible to carve off piste as well Very Happy
ski holidays
shoogly wrote:
The crossfire is a different beast all together, imo. On piste it's absolutely phenomenal. Put the power into it and it's very quick but very smooth. It's like a train on piste and quick turns at speed are easy peasy, as long as you don't get in the back seat or let the ski overpower you. I only skied a small amount in softer/deeper snow and wouldn't want to go anywhere more serious than that with them off-piste. Just not stable enough in those conditions.

Agree with all of that. The first ski on them after I bought them, it was like I'd just got my driving test in a Focus, then jumped into a Ferrari. I've got used to them now but on piste there was way too much horsepower when I first skiied them. The only way to keep in control is to get up over them and definitely avoid the back seat, they've been good for my stance.

They are quite average in powder, but then so am I!

K2 say in the blurb that Crossfires are 80% piste, 20% off, which is about right.

Perhaps the OP should be looking at something a bit fatter than these.
ski holidays
tommy10pages wrote:

Perhaps the OP should be looking at something a bit fatter than these.

A good candidate for Rossi Bandits I reckon
latest report
I have the Elan Magfire and really like it. You can generally get them pretty cheap off ebay as they aren't as popular in the Uk, definately worth a look
ski holidays
Kersh, By mid-March there will be a few sales started and perhaps a few returns from early season skiers. Leave it till the last minute, I reckon.
snow report
Kersh, Think the newer Crossfires have a wider waste that the ones I've got (06/07) so would possibly be mroe adaptable to off piste?????
ski holidays
Again, thanks for all the opinions. Certainly giving my more food for thought. I'm planning to send an e-mail to a few hire shops and see what they've got on test. Toofy Grin

I'm going to have the benefit of a few days in Munich after my 2 weeks skiing so i'm hoping to be able to pick up a bargain if the sales have started ... that's if i've made a decision by then! rolling eyes Razz

Cheers
ski holidays
If you're going to be in Munich, and if you have transport, you could take a drive to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and pay a visit to Sport Conrad. They have very good prices all year round and are well known as a good place to go for discounted skis. If you're lucky, you could also ski there.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG
snow conditions
Should I worry about buy previous years skis if I can get a bargain? Just noticed that Sport Conrad have last years Moto Cross for 250€ (cheers shoogly)

Kersh
snow report
Kersh, I never worry about buying older skis myself. Bought three pairs of past-season K2s from the US this year. Nothing wrong with them at all.
ski holidays
Kersh, there's favourable reviews of the moto cross here

http://www.ski-review.com/content/view/370/30/

good choice of ski if you're going to be sticking to the groomers. you did mention earlier that you might want to venture off piste and onto the bumps... wrong ski for that kind of thing.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy