Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF Piou Piou? Generally and/or Les Houches in particular?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any Tips/advice/experience of ESF's Piou Piou Club? In Les Houches in particular but otherwise generally?

I am unsure of whether to book DS aged 4 in or book a private instructor for 3 or 4 mornings instead. From my own experience of lessons I would never choose ESF if I can choose another school but in this resort unless I want to trek to Argentiere and back twice a day the ESF is my only choice for a kids group. If I book a private instructor I can get Evo2 or Bass I think.

I am just a bit worried that he may well be the only english child (unless our friend's 3 year old goes with him but not sure if she will), that he may end up standing around a lot getting cold not doing much actual skiing. He has been having lessons at the CFe and is coming on well so I'd like him to consolidate that rather than just 'hang out' in the Jardin de Neige.

You read so many bad reviews of the ESF, has anyone actually had a good experience of kids in ESF?

I worry about him ( Embarassed ) but my son is actually a confident little one and goes happily to pre-school and kids clubs on holiday without a backwards glance, never had an issue with it, so he may well cope with the 'french' handling!

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah,

We have used ESF for our eldest from 4 - 12 yrs. The instruction was overall good becoming excellent . Once or twice at a young age she was the only English child but after a few tears got over it .

The early classes were the largest -and probably the slowest to learn in esp Feb half terms but once at and beyond 3 star everything changed - small classes , with increasing majority of French kids as you go up the system , keen teachers, real fun as well as learning . In fact she came to regard the lack of English kids as a badge of honour !

Other parents who I have spoken to feel the same in the sense ESF get better the higher up the scale kids progress.

At Gold/Competition level ( which she has done for the last 6 holidays ) the tuition is superb - in Peisey , a whole week doing nothing but off piste , teachers who talk to you the parent in detail re her progress , need for new kit etc .The numbers have varied between 1:1 and about 1:8 .

We now go either side of Christmas/New year and first week of Easter : result small classes , as we also have a ( now ) 7 yr old .

So in summary : ESF have been excellent at the higher ability ranges , and fine ( and at times very good ) when for the lower levels the classes are quite small.

Sounds he can handle the somewhat strict French approach ! We also were impressed with ESI , an umbrella for independant schools.

John
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Assuming you are not at half-term when group lessons are the only option and that you can afford it then I would fork out for private lessons. The Club Piou-Piou can be a little basic and slow-moving.
Our experience of ESF has generally been OK. Similar to alltnaha, but not quite so positive.
The only ESF teaching we experienced in Les Houches was for our daughter then aged nine during half-term when the class was 50% English-speaking and the instructor had adequate English.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
alltnaha, beequin,
Thank you both very much. We are going 3-10 Jan so I am hoping that is a quiet week after the majority of school hols. I think I will go with the Piou Piou, especially as it looks as if our friend's daughter is going to give it a go too. I will see how it goes after a couple of days and augment it with a couple of private lessons if necessary. I think at this age it's about getting the balance right between them having fun and playing a bit but still actually learning the basics.
Do you know if the Piou Piou and Ourson kids are together in the snow garden or separate? Do they assess at the end of the week and if they are up to it they get the Ourson and if not they get the Piou Piou? I am hoping that he can get his Ourson as he can manage the magic carpet, straight running and is just about doing a snowplough stop and he is beginning to turn to the left (not the right! always the left!).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You are probably right. With fewer people around there will be small groups and you may get almost 1:2 tuition.
Yes, the duck is a consolation if they do not get the bear so the groups will all be together.
We will be there ourselves at the start of that week for the Anglo-Scottish Cup races (children and juniors), so there may well be a few extra Brits on Monday and Tuesday but not enough to crowd the slopes. Snowsport Scotland and BSA will be aiming to keep things under control, but watch out in case there are a few ill-disciplined kids.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beequin, Thanks. We will look out for unruly ones! We will come and watch the races if we can, we'd enjoy that. Have you a child taking part then? If so, best of luck.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, Two children in their first snow race. Should be good fun, I hope.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy