Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Buying Kids Skis Advice on Length and Brand Please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think I am going to buy skis for my 4 year old. DH thinks I am mad but I have just worked out that it is going to cost me approx 50Euros to hire for the 2 trips this season, I think I can fit them into my bag so won't need to pay extra ski carriage charge on the flights and also I have been watching kids skis on ebay now for the past couple of weeks and they are selling for quite high prices IMO (£50-70) so I reckon I can get a decent return on them when he outgrows them. I am also hoping to get 2 seasons out of them. I was hoping to pick up an ebay bargain but they are not bargains so I am now looking at some new 'bargains'.

I was going to get a 90cm ski, he is 107cm barefoot. I think they will come up to just above his shoulder. He has skied on 80s at the snowdome and also I think 90s there last year. I think the 80s are a bit short for him, he seems to 'stick'. But then again maybe the hire skis are just not that great, another reason for wanting to buy.

However looking at skis, I see the range of available lengths 70, 80, 90 and so on and so this has got me thinking, kids don't start really before the age of 3 and so on that basis I would expct a 4 year old to be on 70s or 80s and so now I am wondering if 90s might be too long?? then again I would quite like to get 2 seasons out of them and I don't think I would with 80s, the 80s are mid chest height now. Would 90s be ok or should I get 80s and accept their short life?

On to brands/models I have seen some decent deals on Blizzard Blizzi Jnr, Fischer RC4 Jnr and Salomon EquipeT or Streetracer Grom. The Blizzards have got kiddy pictures on them so would appeal to my son and are one of the cheapest, the Fischers are the cheapest and these and the Salomons are just like scaled down versions of the equivalent adult skis. In terms of re-sale I am thinking I might get a better return on the Salomons?? I suppose I am wondering if Blizzard are a decent make? I'd feel happy with either of the other two but no experience of Blizzard.

Any advice on any of this would be really appreciated. Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would go for the Fischers for resale value, followed by the EquipeT. Blizzard are decent skis, but not at the forefront as they once were.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sarah, Have bought all my (3) kids skis either off ebay or from local shops at end of season sales. You might not get that much of a bargain just now as there will be loads of parents just like you thinking of buying instead of renting - tends to be cheaper buying April to Sept. I would be tempted to to 90cm so that you can get two seasons out of them, then resell or pass on to next kid. Also consider 2nd hand if you are not already, although avoid exhire ones. Have bought my daughter Salomon Streetracers and my youngest Rossi somethingorothers and both have been absolutely fine for their level. This will be their second season on the skis which cost me no more than £30 and I reckon I could probably sell them on for £20-25 as they're in good nick. Would also rcommend getting boots as the boots can last 2 seasons too and do not smell as much as rented boots (1st family ski trip was the only time that we have ever rented stuff - for my 5 year old daughter at that point and the boots stank big style and the skis were only Ok and from memory paid around €60 for the week). Have even managed to get kids version of Rossi Bandits for my eldest from local shop for £30 brand new without bindings, so I simply swicthed the bindings from his current skis which he used for 3 seasons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
sarah, Agree with boabski re the second-hand route. We got a pair of Atomic Race 5's about three years ago for our (then) 6 year-old son from S&R - they take trade-ins on kid's equipment that they've previously sold so it might be worth giving them a call.

The bonus was, after around six month's use of the skis on dry slopes (son is now a racer and, even at eight years old, leaves the old man for dust! Embarassed ) we sold them on eBay and actually got more than we originally paid for them!

I would strongly recommend the Atomics (the current version of the 5 is the Race 7) - they have a good sidecut which helps with turning and are quite soft which would suit a four year-old. You're right about size - look for 90cm.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beequin, boabski, Jon.L, Thank you all very much for your advice! Especially for confirming that I am ok to go for 90s. I am considering 2nd hand but the problem is that it is cheaper or nearly cheaper to buy new than to buy from ebay at the moment. I will ring round a few S&Rs and EBs to see if I can pick up any trade-ins first though, otherwise I am happy to pay the £70ish new and maybe get back a good percentage of that when I sell them on ebay in a couple of years.
I did manage to get bargain boots new and they are on the second season, the tiny Salomon ones in S&R in August were £15!
Jon.L, I was looking for Atomics but not seen any bargain ones, I'll have another scout around but I think any of the others will be ok, I will double check all prices, postage, if in stock and then plump for one!
Thanks again snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sorry to ask similar question on your thread sarah but didn't want to start a new one for similar question Smile

My daughter is 3 years old in Feb and 100cm now...not going till 28th Feb so may grow more ! Going to Chamonix for 14 nts and booked into Panda Club.

Shall I get 67cm or 76cm as a total beginner? Those seem to be the lengths available? Some K2 ones and Dynastar also?

Cheers !
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alex A, no prob Very Happy not sure what length to advise you though as had to ask myself! Maybe the 76? DS was just turned 3 when he started on 80s as I don't think they had them any smaller at the CFe where he started lessons.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Anyone? Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alex A, I would hire, unless you will get use from them back home.
3 is very young, even compared to 4.
If I had to buy, go for 76.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beequin wrote:
Alex A, I would hire, unless you will get use from them back home.
3 is very young, even compared to 4.
If I had to buy, go for 76.

Cheers mate...I think i'll buy as for 99 Euros its almost the same when you go for 14 nights and also I have another younger daughter than can grow into them ! Going to go to Snowdome first as well I hope and will try to get another late season trip in. Just wasn't sure about the length. She is so tall though for her age so I reckon 76cm as well...cheers
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, looks like buying may well be your best option.
Just a minor caveat, height and strength do not necessarily correlate and many teachers recommend chest-height for children, so if you have a second daughter who can use the skis then 67cm may be a reasoanable choice if she is not so tall. Fortunately, you can try both out at the snowdome at no cost as the ski hire is included in the entry fee.
Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beequin wrote:
OK, looks like buying may well be your best option.
Just a minor caveat, height and strength do not necessarily correlate and many teachers recommend chest-height for children, so if you have a second daughter who can use the skis then 67cm may be a reasoanable choice if she is not so tall. Fortunately, you can try both out at the snowdome at no cost as the ski hire is included in the entry fee.
Smile

Ah cool...you look at Snowdome website and its rubbish and doesn't even mention about what age you can get a lesson for a kid?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Alex A, 3 is young and don't know if her legs will be strong enough yet???? - but hey everyone is different. My 4 year old struggled this year and found it really tiring being is ski school for 5 hours a day. My daughter started at 5 and was fantastic, so I'm hoping that the same will follow for my now 5 year old son. Think going to indoor slope is a great idea and you should be able to guage if she has the stamina/strength. Did that for my yongest at Xscape - they do a parent and toddler session
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, Hi... yep know what you mean but it seems to vary so much. Also this is not pure ski school. The Panda club is half creche / ski school and snowplay. They seem really flexible and we will gage while out there. They said perhaps private lessons may work well in the second week for just 2 hours a day and we can join her. Just going to play it by ear. She does all manor of sports now and can swim 100% alone since 2.5 years and started that at 3 months ! Does micro sports every week too... she is also bigger than most 4 year olds...but as you say they are all different Smile She also reads ski mags as bedtime reading !! Daddy I want skiing brochure she says !! Funny.... If it all looks too hard then we'll just work around it. Got the in laws out as well Laughing Cheaper for me to pay for them than hire nanny for 8 month old !
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy