Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RyanAir baggage pricing?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok please someone clarify.

I want ski bag and so it charges me £50 for that but then also £16 for 1 baggage and £8 for airport checkin.

So what do I get? Is it a ski bag and a suitcase or is it just the ski bag?

What is the weight allowed for the ski bag, is it still 15kilo?

Finally, if I choose the 0 bag option and hire skis in resort will I be allowed to walk through security and onto the plane wearing my ski boots (they have a walk mode!!!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ski bag and 1 other bag.

As the checked in ski bag is listed as being "However these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance upon payment of an additional charge of £25/€30 per item, per one way flight via www.ryanair.com or £32/€40 per item, per one way flight at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre.", one has to assume that it is in addition to the weight too.

I doubt if they will allow you to wear your ski boots, but it is possible.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cool Alex,

Im not sure they would have a leg to stand on about wearing boots as it doesn't say anything about in the terms and they are not listed as dangerous items!!!!

R
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
They may cancel your ticket but ........ you may want to ask how they can charge you (as an extra) for something you "have" to have.

I asked a lawyer mate of mine (admittedly in a pub, in so take with a pinch of salt) if it was legal to charge, as an optional extra, for something which you have no choice about.

His (beer ladened) advice was that double chargeing (for skis "and" airport check-in) contravened lots of stuff as the law on this matter is very specific; The basic ticket price must include all items that are required for the flight and for services booked, eg. Taxes, airport levies, etc.

If you are charged for ski carriage then you simply can not check in on line, so the airport check-in should be included in the price of the ticket; as it is required for the flight provision and for the service booked - your ski carraige in this case.

Some airlines will argue that the carriage of ski equipment is optional, and so chargeable over and above the basic ticket cost. OK fair enough BUT if this is the case they can not argue that the airport check-in is also optional as you can not check-in on line, so must be included within the basic ticket cost.

So millions of people could claim back the cost of the airport check-in if they have also paid for “extra” baggage.

Discuss rolling eyes
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
plectrum,

You get a bag and a ski bag.
The bag is 15kg max, and having booked ski equipment you're allowed 32kg total, i.e. you're allowed to cram in another 17kg in your ski bag.
That's my experience of last year and they did indeed weight both my bag (to check it was not exceeding 15kg) and then my board bag to check the grand total was not exceeding 32kg)
In my board bag I had snowboard+boots+jacket+sleeping bag+various other items..
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler,
was that Ryan air ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having done the Ryan Air with ski's / without ski's etc ..................... I always get away with 2 pairs of ski's crammed into a single bag with whatever else I can get into the bag ie (general ski clothes) ............. also they give you 10kg of hand baggage, plenty for your boot bag again crammed to the brim with ski clothes, roll things up tight and fill the bag - that gives you the 15kg for the rest of your luggage if you choose to take one bag ......... have never had the issue of check in as have always had to check in ski's and I think the charge isn't then applicable !! Clear as Mud ................
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
helena57,

Yes..Stansted to salzburg.. Smile

Edit: Please note that they did not check the contents of the board bag... I heard sometimes they do and then heard other rumours that said that if you had anything more than 1 board/pair skis and 1 pair of boots they'd start giving you grief, but that was not the case for me..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fraserpreston wrote:
Having done the Ryan Air with ski's / without ski's etc ..................... I always get away with 2 pairs of ski's crammed into a single bag with whatever else I can get into the bag ie (general ski clothes) ............. also they give you 10kg of hand baggage, plenty for your boot bag again crammed to the brim with ski clothes, roll things up tight and fill the bag - that gives you the 15kg for the rest of your luggage if you choose to take one bag ......... have never had the issue of check in as have always had to check in ski's and I think the charge isn't then applicable !! Clear as Mud ................

It certainly is still applicable.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne wrote:
They may cancel your ticket but ........ you may want to ask how they can charge you (as an extra) for something you "have" to have.

I asked a lawyer mate of mine (admittedly in a pub, in so take with a pinch of salt) if it was legal to charge, as an optional extra, for something which you have no choice about.

His (beer ladened) advice was that double chargeing (for skis "and" airport check-in) contravened lots of stuff as the law on this matter is very specific; The basic ticket price must include all items that are required for the flight and for services booked, eg. Taxes, airport levies, etc.

If you are charged for ski carriage then you simply can not check in on line, so the airport check-in should be included in the price of the ticket; as it is required for the flight provision and for the service booked - your ski carraige in this case.

Some airlines will argue that the carriage of ski equipment is optional, and so chargeable over and above the basic ticket cost. OK fair enough BUT if this is the case they can not argue that the airport check-in is also optional as you can not check-in on line, so must be included within the basic ticket cost.

So millions of people could claim back the cost of the airport check-in if they have also paid for “extra” baggage.

Discuss rolling eyes

Not a chance, I'm afraid.

It is quite clearly stated in their T&C that if you have checked in baggage, you will also have to pay the airport check in fee.

It is an optional thing if you have no hold luggage, and while it is itemised separately from the hold luggage, you really can't miss the fact you have to pay it if you have any.

If it was something you have to have in order to make the booking at all, then yes it would have to be included in the "headline" price (as all taxes and fees are now, even though they are again itemised separately).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Full Baggage T&C for Ryanair below - their baggage policy seems to be one of the reoccurring threads on Snowheads.

Quote:
Checked Baggage

Checked Baggage is any item accepted for carriage in the aircraft hold, including bags, musical, sports, mobility and infant equipment, etc.

Passengers travelling on a reservation with checked baggage are required to check-in at the airport and are subject to an airport check-in fee per person/per one way flight at a discounted rate of £4/€5 (or local currency equivalent) if booked online or alternatively if booked at the airport or via a Ryanair call centre the standard rate of £8/€10 person/per one way flight will apply

Each passenger is permitted to check in up to a maximum of 3 bags (combined weight of 15kgs) subject to the payment of the applicable checked baggage fees. Checked baggage booked online is charged per bag/per one way flight at a discounted rate of £8/€10 for the first bag and £16/€20 for each additional bag/ per one way flight. If checked baggage fees are paid either at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre, the standard rate of £16/€20 per bag/per one way flight will apply.

No pooling or sharing of baggage allowances is permitted, even within a party travelling on the same reservation.

Any passenger exceeding their 15kg personal checked baggage allowance will be charged the prevailing fee on the day of travel. The excess baggage fee is currently at the rate of £12/€15 per kilo (or local currency equivalent).

There is no checked/hand baggage allowance for infants. However, one fully collapsible pushchair per child may be carried free of charge. Additional infant equipment such as car/booster seats and travel cots may be carried in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance. Infant equipment (car/booster seats and travel cots) booked online is charged at the rate of £8/€10 per item/per one way flight or at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre, the standard rate of £16/€20 per item/per one way flight will apply.

At airports with self-service check-in kiosks, you must have paid any Checked Baggage fees and/or excess baggage charges and deposited your Checked Baggage at a Bag-Drop no later than 40 minutes before scheduled departure time.

Mobility Equipment is carried free of charge.

Sporting or musical equipment including but not limited to large fishing rods, golf clubs, bicycles, scooters, fencing equipment, surfboards, bodyboards, snowboards and skis and large musical instruments including but not limited to harps, double bass and drums are inherently unsuitable for carriage by airlines operating fast turnarounds such as Ryanair. However these items may be carried in the hold of the aircraft in addition to your personal checked baggage allowance upon payment of an additional charge of £25/€30 per item, per one way flight via www.ryanair.com or £32/€40 per item, per one way flight at the airport or through a Ryanair call centre. Smaller musical items such as a guitar, cello, violin or viola which exceed our cabin baggage dimensions may be carried in the cabin if a seat for it has been reserved and the appropriate fare paid. There is no checked baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

For health and safety reasons Ryanair does not accept for carriage any individual item exceeding 32 kilos or with combined dimensions of more than 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth). This weight limit does not apply to mobility equipment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A similar RyanAir baggage query...

We are 2 people travelling to treviso in Jan
We have paid for 1 hold bag each. Each person is allowed 15kg allowance for this hold luggage. A google trawl reveals all sorts of articles about RyanAir not allowing the pooling of allowances. Does this actually mean that we have to take two seperate bags for the hold, each with less than 15kg in it... or can we take 1 bag between us with approx 24kg in it (our usual travel weight).

I have also paid for a ski bag, but since i will be attempting to get away with two pairs of skis in it, i don't want to draw any more attention to us than i need to!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magic_hat, If you take 1 bag at 24kg you will be charged excess for each kilo over 15kg. You do have to take 2 separate bags at 15kg each max.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, Cheers for that - it's as I suspected. Seems daft though... we've paid for 2 bags (giving us 30kg allowance), so technically taking just the one bag should be easier and less hassle for RyanAir. But i guess that it's how they make their cash.

2 bags it is!

Cheers holidayloverxx,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
magic_hat, got it in one mate.....
latest report
magic_hat,

Quote:

it's how they make their cash.

the one and only reason for the rule...
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:
holidayloverxx, Cheers for that - it's as I suspected. Seems daft though... we've paid for 2 bags (giving us 30kg allowance), so technically taking just the one bag should be easier and less hassle for RyanAir. But i guess that it's how they make their cash.

You would think so. But they treat each passenger as an individual, even if the bookings were made (and paid for) together.
snow report
Ryanair's ski carriage rules are not clear. The rest are.

1. Each person can take up to 3 normal hold bags, each of which has to be paid for. The standard payment is for up to 15kg for all these bags combined and that rate is far dearer if you pay at the airport rather than when you book. For each single flight you pay £8 for the first bag and for each additional bag it's a further £16.

2. If your total bags weigh over 15kg you pay £12 per Kg, but no matter what you pay the absolute maximum for a single bag is 32kg and the max dimensions are 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth).

Ski carriage
The T's & C's simply say it's £25 per item per single flight and that the item is in addition to normal baggage allowance. No weight is mentioned, so I assume the 32Kg absolute limit applies, nor is there any mention of how they are allowed to be packed.

When you get as far as selecting ski equipment in the booking process the option you select asks you to choose 0, 1 or 2 of:

SKI
Skis/Pole/Boots/Snowboards

To me that suggests they accept you're going to take boots as well as skis but there is no mention of how they expect them to be packed ie whether they'd accept a ski bag plus a boot bag without trying to charge you an extra bag fee on checking in. Most people don't have a bag that takes both skis and boots, and boots are a huge percentage of your 15kg in you main bag.

When you've travelled with them with skis, how have you packed the skis/boots? Has anyone taken a ski bag and a boot bag separately?
snow conditions
On asking one of the girls at the customer services centre in Ireland (easier to get through than the UK one) she said that I was allowed a ski bag AND boot bag as part of carriage- I hope she's right, I fly out from Stansted early tomorrow!
latest report
Dr. Will wrote:
On asking one of the girls at the customer services centre in Ireland (easier to get through than the UK one) she said that I was allowed a ski bag AND boot bag as part of carriage- I hope she's right, I fly out from Stansted early tomorrow!

You better get that in writing, guaranteed that the staff in Stanstead don't know about that.

snowHead
ski holidays
Had a slightly nerve wracking time in Stansted since there was a new self check and bag drop procedure and was worried if I listed my skis and boots as one item would only get one luggage label for both. Luckily the labels were printed at the bag drop and managed to get one main bag, 1 boot bag and 1 ski bag checked in for the price of 1 main bag and 1 ski carriage. I think it helped that both ski and boot bag were pretty light and didn't weigh more than 16kg in total.
snow report
Dr. Will,
does it say somwhere that they should be up to 16 kg ?
snow conditions
So you were given three labels Dr. Will?
snow report
To answer the above questions there is no official weight other than the probable 32kg safety limit. The reason I mentioned the weight was that if both bags had been quite hefty I may not have got two tags for one ski carriage. I basically confidently said 'and here's my skis and boots' while putting the ski and bootbag together on the belt at the same time and the girl didn't say a word!
ski holidays
Dr. Will,
CEM told me that the airlines were taking the skis and boots in separate bags and treating it as "1"

at the moment I am leaving/ living in fear, tomorrow, I am flying with Thomas Cook,
I did not pay for the skis because when I booked the trip I did not have any yet,
today, I was told on the phone that my skis will be treated as excess luggage at £ 8 per kg Shocked
so i am trying to use my 15 kg allowance + 5 hand luggage X 3 people- for everything we are taking,
the skis will go separately at a premium price Sad
snow report
You get 15kg allowance for your bags. Easyjet it is 20kg, and they give you 12 extra kilos when you book on skis. I can't imagine Ryanair allow much more. Since the normal Overweight on Ryanair is charged at £15 per kilo at the airport I imagine they really mean it when they say "per item of sports equipment".
latest report
Ryanair allow 15kg main checked in bag, and up to 32kg (international baggage handling limit). We use this to our advantage on many training camps. if you have a large ski/board bag, this will accommodate 2 pairs of skis, 1 pair of boots, poles and various extra items up to 32kg. We've always had the bags weighed but only ever ben pulled when one trainee was over 32kg.
snow report
snowball wrote:
. Since the normal Overweight on Ryanair is charged at £15 per kilo at the airport I imagine they really mean it when they say "per item of sports equipment".

I beg to differ since as mentioned above despite separate bags Ryanair allowed me to check in my skis and boots together as one item. I may have been particularly lucky, we shall see what happens on the return journey!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ryanair always consider Skis & Boots as one item in my experience. (The skiis are not much good without the boots!). Also I have never had my skis / boots weighed when travelling with ryanair (Again maybe I was lucky - but I have flown with them with skis at least 5 or 6 times)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy