Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski resort advice from Turin

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys. Up until Friday we were sorted with the Dolomites in 1st week of March. Then BMI cancelled our Milan flights...

We have managed to jump ship to Turin flights, but there's no way we're going to head for the dolomites from Turin.

Requirements... Relatively large ski area (150km+). GOOD ski bus system if not well lift-linked (I think, but stand to be corrected, that this rules out most of the Aosta valley? For example, staying in Aosta looked attractive but isn't really. 20 minutes each day just to get to Pila (only 70-ish km anyway) is not going to do it for us.

Large mixed group of skiers and boarders. Would really prefer as few drag lifts as possible. We were all set on Italy as being the most value for money out there in our opinion... we don't really relish the relative expense of France now really... or Switzerland... but I'm out of touch with this area of the alps. I know none of it is cheap with the exchange rate as is, but we need all the help we can get.

Any pointers/starters in a discussion?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
carled, Sad . Claviere/Montgenevre? there's 650km of skiing in the Milky Way, or you could go smaller and head for Bardonecchia. And there's always La Thuile, or even Cervinia.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pila would be quicker than you may think as you could get the gondola up from Aosta.

Have you thought about Cervinia (which would in turn include Zermatt if the pass is ok)?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think Montgenevre/Claviere or even Serre Chevalier tick the boxes.

Good intermediate skiing at both with enough terrain to satisfy for a week. The snow at that time of year is going to be adequate at minimum.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, Carled has been a relatively recent visitor to Serre Chevalier with his large party of skiers, so I thought he might prefer something else. Although I do have to tell him that I will be there then, and it always snows just before I arrive wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carled,
Don't know the mileage but La Thuile is a great area though you need tows to connect with La Ros, would suit your party description well.

Montgenevre/Claviere is also pretty good and has the best snow in the Milky way if it has its occasional bad snow year.

The Maurienne valley offers really good value skiing but I don't know what the traffic infrastruture is like if you dont have your own transport.The valley lift pass is tremendous value but you have to ski different areas. I went there a few years back and am thinking of returning this Easter for economic reasons. The biggest single area is Les Sybelles which sounds large enough though I haven't visited it.

Serre Che you obviously know but maybe you will get better snow this time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ha. Indeed. Serre Che in 2005 & 2006, so much as I love the place I think somewhere different is needed...

no_snow_in_swindon, as far as I know, it's 20 minutes to get to base station in Pila from Aosta?

Cervinia has the most horrible selection of over-expensive apartments I've ever seen. If anyone can point me at better quality and/or value, then great!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carled,
Fair bit furthur and never been but Risoul is meant to be a good value area and is reachable.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carled, Milky Way area. Plenty of terrain to keep you happy.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar wrote:
carled,
Fair bit furthur and never been but Risoul is meant to be a good value area and is reachable.

Yeah, did Risoul/Vars back in... oooh, 1999 or thereabouts? Damn long way, but can't remember the airport... probably Lyon on a charter in those days!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
no_snow_in_swindon wrote:
Pila would be quicker than you may think as you could get the gondola up from Aosta.

It's a brand new gondola this season, so it may be a smidge under the 20 mins. Although I love Pila, it's not what you'd call extensive wink . You want La Thuille/La Rosiere for extensive at that end of the Aosta Valley.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 14-12-08 0:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So I saw a few people diss Aosta itself as a staying point (the logic being that in a "proper" town you get cheaper prices and more choice of accommodation... but is it a 'mare to get anywhere? What sort of journey times are we looking at to get to ski areas from there?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carled, with Aosta Town you get real Italy (which we like), and value for money. The apres ski, in the traditional sense, is non-existant - with the exception of The Distillery and another who's name escapes me - where the Interski crowd tend to go. Other than that, there are plenty of small 'local' bars. They are ok, but don't have much buzz.
We go with Interski, and buses are put on to link with Courmayeur and La Thuille (about 30mins and 45mins respectively). Not sure how they'd link otherwise, without a car.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy