Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've been tasked by my friends to search for a resort and accommodation to stay in Austria. The general consenses is to go to Austria cos its cheaper (?) The budget I've been given is about 700-750 pounds per person. Now the list of demands I've got is really having me researched quite a bit on the net...

1) near a lift (or doorstep skiing)
2) 3 or 4 star hotel
3) intermediate/beginner resort
4) not crowded
5) early March departure (7-8th)

Geez, the amalgamation of requests has gotten me going round in circles, so if someone could help? Last year the group went to val thorens and stayed at le val thorens hotel and they had a blast.

I've narrowed the search to Obergurgl, Saalbach and Schemling, with the slant towards obergurgl. Does anyone have hotels to recommend there? I was thinking the crystal sportiv (formerly deutschmann hotel) but am not sure about it.

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Teckie, My brother stayed in the Deutschmann two years ago and loved it. Is the £700 JUST for accommodation?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for responding so quickly Anniepen, 700 to 750 pounds is for the budget for the whole package. I think everyone is stuck with last years prices (when the sterling was stronger)! Anyway, more searching has turned out Hotel haus gurgl as another choice, anyone stayed there before?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Teckie, 3-4 star hotel will be €70-100 per night. The nearer the lift the more bucks to pay.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Teckie, Not stayed there- it's at one end of town, but right next to a lift. Lessons etc start from the other end of town, although if I was staying at the Deutchsmann I'd ski up and down to lessons. It's about 15 mins walk to the other end of town, but it is flat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi The Deutschmann is lovely as are most of hotels there but you would not be able to ski to the lessons on the other side of resort you would have to walk down which is not a long walk but the Edelweiss is ski in ski out ,. the Bellvue , the Austria.. the Josl is near the meeting area. It is a beautiful resort anyway you wont be disappointed and snow guaranteed .Enjoy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We stayed at the Haus Gurgl about 7 years ago and can highly reccomend it. It is a small well run B&B and is operated by the same family who own the very smart 4 * Edelweiss & Gurgl which is in the village centre (where we stayed the following year). The Haus Gurgl is located about a 5 minute walk from the village along the the road leading out of the centre. The Deutchsmann is a little further on (approx 100 meters) but directly next to the other main lift.

Ski buses run regular if you dont want to walk but we experienced some pretty horrendous scrums during the morning rush and never bothered after that.

Nightlife in Obergurgl is ultra low key and there is very little going on in the evening although the umberella bar outside the Hotel Edelweiss is pretty good from about 4 til 7.

All in all we loved Obergurgl as it was our first (and second) skiing holiday but as lovely as it is we would find it to limiting these days - both in terms of area and apres.

Saalbach would be a good choice as would Ischgl although you may be testing your budget with the later.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again all for your thoughts! We don't think we'll be taking lessons so the meeting area shouldn't be a problem for us (phew - if not there'll be another point to consider) - Both places seem to be worth going, one suggestion was to stay in hochgurgl instead, at sporthotel olymp, though that costs more. Anyone stayed there? Read that Hochgurgl is deceptively inconvenient in that it seems to be ski in ski out purpose built resorts but in actual fact, the hotels there are situated in awkward areas and there are many steps to navigate when walking to the ski slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Obergurgl is great... been there 4 times.... best deal I got was 2 years ago at the Edelweiss und Gurgl hotel, which is as central as you can get, and right next to the ski-lifts. I paid £750 for a single, including flights, through Inghams. Though expect to pay more because of the exchange rate.

Makes no difference whether you stay in Obergurgl or Hochgurgl really... as the areas are linked, but Obergurgl is perhaps a little more lively... though the busy bars take some finding... I seem to remember one which was quite lively called the Stumpinstrudl or something like that
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

I paid £750 for a single, including flights, through Inghams. Though expect to pay more because of the exchange rate.

and more on top for passes etc. And lunches. And beers...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JonnyRocket, Might that be Krumpenstadl? In which case you're spot on! Also the Josl Kellar at the other end of town is quite lively.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Had some friend stop at the Haus Gurgl a couple of years ago and they liked it. I think it is just B&B so costs could rack up eating out with the Euro rate as it is, there are no real budget place to eat though I think they offer a deal to take evening meal at the Edelwiess. Another option which would be in the budget would be a Chalet there are only a couple in Obergurgl with British TOs www.skitotal.co.uk have some good deals thet could work out cheaper than Haus Gurgl.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks wrote:
JonnyRocket, Might that be Krumpenstadl? In which case you're spot on! Also the Josl Kellar at the other end of town is quite lively.

Yes... that was it... I couldnt quite remember the name, but I havent forgotten the blonde young lady who serves the bier in there !
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Teckie, by the look of things you are now sorted, but we stayed in Obergurgl 2 years ago & it was brilliant although we booked a 'package' deal something like 15months prior due to deposit issues & getting £'s back (thats another story) from the travel agent. we paid around £1600 full board for the two of us at the hotel madelaine about 5 mins from centre of the resort. it was a lovely 4* little gem & the staff were superb. they even kept the restaurant open for us because we had a few hours delay in getting there plus it has the best pizza restaurant built onto the side of the hotel. but the point i wanted to make was that on our next few days as you talk to fellow guests we found that another couple had just booked the place around 4-6 weeks prior & they got it for around £900!!!!! we were gobsmacked so it doesnt pay to book in advance so....we dont make the same mistake now!!!!
we're actually going there last week of jan staying at the hotel edelweiss & gurgl which is at the foot of two lifts. we booked direct 12 months ago for around 900euro which at the time was gr8 but obviously the pathetic £ v euro has put a little dent here but the deal we got is again full board with bigger room allowances & includes the lift pass. flights booked when they became available £75 each & hire car was £120 so all we need is our beer money!!!!

Steve Sparks, your spot on we loved it in that 'beer barrel'!!!!

sorry to bore anyone here!!! rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
JonnyRocket wrote:
Steve Sparks wrote:

Yes... that was it... I couldnt quite remember the name, but I havent forgotten the blonde young lady who serves the bier in there !

I think that will be Judy, the girlfriend of Thomas, who is often behind the bar, they run the place over the winter season.
latest report
Teckie, We are going to the Edelwiess & Gurgl at the and of this month. Obergurgl was reccomended by me bro who had been there a couple of years ago. Looking forward to it (obviously!). A couple of friends booked a package (different hotel) for the same week and paid around £650 for half board. Not sure if lift passes & ski hire was included, but at that price I doubt it.

I would suggest going into a travel agent and tell them your requirements. Let them do the hard work!
snow report
Teckie, we've just come back from the Hotel Lohman - it's at the cheaper end of the range in Obergurgl. Good sized rooms but shower not bath, buffet dinner with free drink (not sure what the limit was but they seemed happy with at least 1 bottle of wine for two people). Couple hundred meter walk for the lift out in the morning, about 50 meter back in the afternoon. Lifts quiet over New Year (so probably even quieter in early March).

Some photos, if you're interested:
http://picasaweb.google.com/ianhopkinson/01Obergurgl03jan09
snow conditions
Hoppo, We used to stay there, but moved on when the prices went up a few years back. Got away with beer plus 1l of wine each night! We used to walk past the Hochwirst and take the tow rope up and ski down to the Festkogelbahn in the mornings to save the walk up to town.

Nice photos, glad you found the catwalk past the marmotte to inspect the chamois' balls!
ski holidays
Steve Sparks, we did consider the rope tow, but my learning to ski days have given me an unreasonable aversion to rope tows - anyway it's much more fun to watch Mrs Hoppo negotiate an icy road in ski boots Toofy Grin

I consider the chamois' balls the highlight of the trip wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy