Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Home ski tuning

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought my first pair of skis last year but the edges could do with a sharpen.Is it economical and practical for me to do them myself,or is it better to take them to a ski shop in resort.I've heard that they put them on the machine which tends to remove a lot of material so not keen if this is the case.What is the minimum kit that I need for this and how much will it cost?Also,they are Nordica Gransports which have 0.5,1.5 angles.Do I need to touch the base angle at all?Do I need to remove side wall?
I think I would get them to wax in resort.I am a fairly practical type.
Iain
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yanto, if you're lucky, you will shortly get a reply from spyderjon, Snowheads' resident expert and professional ski tuner.... he can tell you everything, sell you what you need (at good prices) and, though it's a long way from Orkney, even give you a lesson on how to do it in his workshop in the Midlands (thoroughly recommended).

have a look at his website http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/

It's not really economic to get the gear just for a once-a-year tune up, though. If you take them to a good shop they shouldn't blast them through a machine if they don't need it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, spoken like a true pro Cool

yanto, my Basic Kit, which will give you all the gear to do edge, wax & basic repair work, is £95 (excludes pucka vices & a pucka iron) so you'd get your money back in 4/5 shop services without excessive removal of base or edge material. You don't need to do anything to the base edge angle other than dress down any rock dings which is why my Basic Kit does not include a base edge guide. There isn't a 1.5 degree side edge angle on the market so I'd tune 'em to 2/88. On the Gransports you should get a couple of light tunes on the side edge (ie, diamond stone only with no file use) as the skis come from the factory but after that you'll need to trim down the sidewall. I usually tune most of my customer's skis to 3 degrees but that would definately need the sidewall sorting. I offer a v.good American tuning DVD for those that can't make it to Nottm for tea & biccies.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:
pam w, spoken like a true pro Cool

yanto, my Basic Kit, which will give you all the gear to do edge, wax & basic repair work, is £95 (excludes pucka vices & a pucka iron) so you'd get your money back in 4/5 shop services without excessive removal of base or edge material. You don't need to do anything to the base edge angle other than dress down any rock dings which is why my Basic Kit does not include a base edge guide. There isn't a 1.5 degree side edge angle on the market so I'd tune 'em to 2/88. On the Gransports you should get a couple of light tunes on the side edge (ie, diamond stone only with no file use) as the skis come from the factory but after that you'll need to trim down the sidewall. I usually tune most of my customer's skis to 3 degrees but that would definately need the sidewall sorting. I offer a v.good American tuning DVD for those that can't make it to Nottm for tea & biccies.

Another recommendation for Spyderjon and his tution/tuning gear!

It's not a very difficult and involved thing to tune your own skis, especially after the way Sypderjon explains it so well

And I can vouch that Mrs Spyderjon does an excellent job on the tea and biccies front too! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would definitely recommend spyderjon - haven't had the pleasure of one of his courses but 'know a man who has'. I tune my son's skis and got pretty much all of the kit from him. Had a good chat with him at the Birmingham Ski Show a few weeks ago - top bloke!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also recommend spyderjon for all your tuning needs. Been tuning my own skis for a few years now and it's not difficult if you have the right gear. I do my own hot waxing too, which is also very easy. There does come a point when you need to get the bases re-ground with a fresh base bevel, but hand tuning keeps the skis in far better shape for much longer.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy