Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ARRG! THE EURO :( Should I buy my lift pass now or jan?

Poster: A snowHead
Should I buy my les arcs lift pass now or risk another 4 weeks of sterling decline?

Tux
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
tuxpoo, The concensus on TV is that the traders are waiting for it to go to parity or below and then the value of the £ will start to rise. I bought Euros yesterday and the euro has fallen again today. I guess parity will come soon, it probably has already at the Post Office etc for travel money. Toofy Grin
Absolutely no help to you. I guess if you are going late Jan it may get better but on the other hand we could be looking at each euro costing £1.20 by then Shocked
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If anyone knows the real answer to that, they could make a lot of money. I suppose what you are asking for is someone to make a caluclated guess for you. Institutional investors now realise that our country is in a worse state than anywhere else, which could make sterling slide further as funding dries up. If there is a weighted direction, then it's still down (gulp..!) Sorry to be of little help, but I was going to buy our passes back in November - stupidly let it slip and it's now cost me considerably more. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
if i knew i would be taking a far bigger punt than the cost of a lift pass
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tuxpoo, That's my position as well for my trip in Feb. I don't know the answer but on the telly, some so called expert, stated that once the recession hit Europe a bit more it would weaken the Euro. The recession seems to have hit the UK faster and harder than the rest of Europe so far.

Here's hoping it gets a bit better.
Sad

snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well my mortgage has gone down more than the cost of my skiing has gone up.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, Same here ... I know quibling over 30 quid or so on a 15 day pass isnt worth it as my mortgage is going down by 200 quid a month.

So I got my pass online 10 mins ago.

DAM! beer is going to be pricey!

Tux
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Institutional investors now realise that our country is in a worse state than anywhere else,

I'd say we're not as bad off as America is, and it looks like things are due to get a whole lot worse for them today. Europe is going to get hit like the rest of us somewhere down the line.

I'm off skiing in just over a week, haven't bought any euro's yet though Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:

I keep reminding myself of that whenever I look at the exchange rate! I suppose the silver lining for me is that owning property in the Eurozone means it is appreciating in value against sterling should I ever decide to sell.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think there is a fundamental here in that a lot of the Eurozone countries are still hiding their true economic picture (& perhaps politicians and their central banks are a bit more canny than our numbsulls who seem to feel duty bound to talk down the country & facilitate runs on the £ at any opportunity). Eventually the information on individual economies must be consolidated but if Uk interest rates have been pushed further into the toilet by then there may not be much to rebound to & parity will become an everyday reality. Worst case scenario is we are forced into the Euro as a defensive measure at an depressed rate.

For the cost of holiday spends its not worth sweating too much - howver there's a risk we (or sterling savers at least) become the real poor men of Europe.

Now if only alpine property would depreciate more than the £ has moved and there might be a hedge available.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:

Your equity is going down quicker though. No winners this side of the channel. (bar the Italian shoppers I saw today!)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar wrote:
I suppose the silver lining for me is that owning property in the Eurozone means it is appreciating in value against sterling should I ever decide to sell.

Thought exactly the same thing. I actually thought that maybe I should sell my property abroad, transfer the cash back here and then buy again when the £/€ recovers ... but sell my pad in the Alps, you're having a giraffe!!! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Your equity is going down quicker though.

I'm not bothered about that as I have no intention of moving. Just as I wasn't too excited when it went up. Both equally meaningless movements if you're not selling. What matters to me is how much it costs me to live here, which is now usefully less than it was a year ago.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Your equity is going down quicker though.

I'm not bothered about that as I have no intention of moving.

I have money in a bank that I have no intention of withdrawling. Still do not want it to go down though NehNeh
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chappers, I think it's a bit different with house values which are never real till you come to sell - and people who convince themselves otherwise and borrow big money on the strength of a theoretical increase in value are, to put it no more strongly, a bit daft. I bought my house for £140K and it's now worth (very similar one sold this week on our estate) about £475K. 330% in 16 years - madness. Money in the bank is nice to have but isn't actually doing anything for you, is it? It's only purpose is to increase in value, so if it doesn't, it's not doing it's job. But my house's job is to keep a roof over our heads for a reasonable net sum. Which it does much better now my mortgage rate is 2.75%. snowHead
ski holidays
I thought this was a ski forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
Chappers, Are you Robert Peston Puzzled
ski holidays
Pam W, yes fully agree with you, you are spot on with what you say. Congrats Pam, you seem to have done well Cool

My earlier statement(s) were not just aimed at yourself. It seems that in this country when house prices are flying up, everyone is coining it in, and when house prices are dropping we are all coining in the profits of the lower mortgage payments. Must be a proud British thing to deny the truth and advertise how well we are doing.
Honestly, I do not know which is better or the lesser of evils. We will probably see by the end of next year.

I would have got through the credit crunch with my place, but the ex wife was far tougher Laughing

All the best,

Chappers.

ps Robboj, He is far too positive for my style Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
mfamily2, this thread is about the impact of the weakness of sterling on ski holidays, and the arguments for hedging currency transactions. wink
ski holidays
Oh well saved a few £'s. I usually buy our lift passes in resort at xmas in case there's not much snow. We book appt through Erna Low, on checking with them yesterday they converted at 1.20 apparently the rate they agreed a few months ago. It all helps towards the more expensive beer. Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

they converted at 1.20 apparently the rate they agreed a few months ago.

Excellent. The advantages of hedging!
snow conditions
gsb, are you saying that, after booking with Erna Low earlier, they let you go back and pay a fixed price for the lift passes at this stage, or did you do it as part of the initial booking?
latest report
sproggski, Yes. I booked appt about 3 weeks ago but got an email last week about not forgetting I could book equipment / ski school and passes through them. They said some resorts they got discounts. For Flaine where I am going they could convert at 1.20 Very Happy
latest report
gsb, result! I just got through to Erna Low myself and they have confirmed this, so I'll be totting up the family's passes and ski hire. As you say, the rate works out to 1.194!

There's something to be said for package operators versus doing it DIY at times like this.

Thanks for the heads up Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
sproggski, Glad to be of help.
ski holidays
The experts who are telling us that the pound is heading down near to or at parity with the euro are probably the same guys who were taking punts on oil peaking at $200 a barrel a few months back... wink My personal view is that the pound will probably slide a bit more, and then recover against the euro - if/to what extent no-one has a clue - good ol' Rumsfield territory.. Puzzled . I'm off in Jan too and will just buy my euros just ahead of the trip as usual and take what is offer then - maybe pound will begin a rebound and all us UK snowHead snowHead all get a nice surprise!
latest report
patrick318, FWIW I agree with your more sanguine view, the Euro now looks overvalued, the recession is going to hit hard there too, may even precipitate the partial disintegration of the currency union if the prudent countries can't/won't agree to bail out the more profligate.

But it is probably an 'unknown unknown' that will determine the outcome, a la Rumsfeld!
ski holidays
This is a 'known unknown' that could affect the Euro's prospects:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/are-the-greek-riots-a-taste-of-things-to-come-1064479.html
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have bought some Euro cash now for my trip in two weeks, but will still use my card in France for some transactions, so I will hopefully have hedged my bets which ever way it goes. Everything is just going to cost more, glad I am in catered
latest report
I live and work in France and run a French company... The banks here are telling interesting stories. Apprently the UK was hit badly due to trading in the sub prime (60% of UK bank profit is from trading in debt). In France however (which is often laughed at for having a 1% growth rate), the banks make 90% of profits from high street banking services. Doesn't make them any good, mine is often really rubbish... But the upshot is they were much less touched by the whole sub prime market issues as they never dealt in as much debt in the first place. So in France atleast they are doing a very good Ostrich impression and saying were fine mate (appart from as usual having very high un-employment and stupid tax and employment laws), a bit like when Chernobyl exploded and France claimed that the wind was blowing the other way that day... Anyway it seems that French banks are still lending and the economy is still going to be ok for the mean time so don't expect a good rate of exchange for a while (which is an back bottom as it is making our holidays seem more expensive to the UK market).
ski holidays
Quote:

a bit like when Chernobyl exploded and France claimed that the wind was blowing the other way that day...
and Foot and Mouuth never reached France either Laughing Despite Switzerland having it quite badly Laughing But some French cows got JCB disease, (quick ze cow is mad get ze JCB and bury it!) Toofy Grin

in garbure we trust, whilst not doubting the stories, strange that Sarkcozy is talking about putting another 70 billion Euro into the French economy and wants to drop the VAT rate as we have done but Germany is against the idea Toofy Grin
snow report
I found out that my dad had bought about 5k in Euros several months ago when the rates first began to dip. I'll have to be extra nice to him Little Angel
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

a bit like when Chernobyl exploded and France claimed that the wind was blowing the other way that day...
and Foot and Mouuth never reached France either Laughing Despite Switzerland having it quite badly Laughing But some French cows got JCB disease, (quick ze cow is mad get ze JCB and bury it!) Toofy Grin

in garbure we trust, whilst not doubting the stories, strange that Sarkcozy is talking about putting another 70 billion Euro into the French economy and wants to drop the VAT rate as we have done but Germany is against the idea Toofy Grin

Perhaps a drop in the VAT rate on restaurant meals might help a bit.
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps a drop in the VAT rate on restaurant meals might help a bit.
snow report
Sky News today:

"The Sterling/euro price that traders see on their screens may not yet have reached parity.

But when exchanging money at foreign exchange kiosks, some travellers have already been getting less than one euro for every pound they hand over.

Retail margins and commission have already tipped the balance for them."

"Ouch for some.....!" rolling eyes
latest report
I was talking to a rep last week in St. Anton - he said try to buy your lift pass with your holiday, as a lot of holiday companies have the euro/sterling rate set at the time of publishing their brochures - several months ago.

Hope this helps
snow report
Had some money withdrawn today in Europe. The cost to me was 1.12 euro per pound.

Here it is in black and white Wink

http://www.corporate.visa.com/pd/consumer_services/consumer_ex_results.jsp?from=GBP&to=EUR&rate=0.0

Good luck Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

The cost to me was 1.12 euro per pound.

things seem to be improving!
ski holidays
ON our first ski holiday in 1995 the pound v the franc was disastrous , but our pre-booked beginners packs (which included a full lift pass for Grand Massif) proved to be a bargain. It was however the only occasion we were that fortunate.
snow conditions
try this lot for your exchange
http://www.thomasexchange.co.uk/

they seem to be always a few cents above the others
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy