Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, DEC Sunday to Friday 2008

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey there,
I've been hovering around the site for quite a while, lots of great info Very Happy I'm heading out to Tignes tommorow, arriving saterday evening (bus journey Sad).

I'm a little worried about the conditions. I've just read through a really good thread on here, seen some pics that were posted and it LOOKS AMAZING! Really got me excited!

However, I've just checked some snow reports/weather reports and it looks like theres going to be heavy snow for more or less every day i'm skiing there.

I'm not an amazing skier, i'd say a good intermediate and I really improved my carving the last time I skied (easter in Verbier), I'm pretty sure i'll be able to handle all of the pisted runs and some off-piste. I'm more worried about the fact that i've never been to Tignes and it looks like the weathers going to be pretty harsh the whole time i'm out there.

I had one other question though, if its snowing, does it mean that the visability is always going to be terible? Thats what i'm worried about; I don't know the resort and am no where near as confident when I can't see anything!!!

Does anyone have any advise for me? to calm my nerves? I'm going in a group of very experienced skiers (a couple of racers/free stylers) and i'm no where near as good as them! hehe

I also don't want to miss a minute of my skiing time, I want to get better! How can I go about making sure I ski everyday??

Cheers lads/lasses!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
illsendit, welcome to snowHeads. Unfortunately dealing with flat light and the occasional whiteout is a part and parcel of skiing. Not much you can do about it, other than get used to it. Make sure you have a decent pair of goggles or sunglasses with yellow or orange lenses which help a bit with improving contrast, and best of all head for the trees (a bit tricky in Tignes, but hop over the ridge and ski around La Daille). Only drawback with heading for the trees is that most people will be doing the same thing, so it can get busy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
illsendit, Another welcome to Snowheads. I've been to Tignes a few times when the weather had been bad and like rob@rar, says head for La Daillie and the trees. Having said that some of my best skiing moments have been where the weather has been awful and most people have given up and the weather clears for a while and everything is perfect, hero snow and no people! We hit the cable car at the Grand Motte just after it had opened on a cr***y day and got superb fresh tracks just off the piste on the glacier ... I'll live on that run for years Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aren't there a load of snowHead in Tignes at the same time? There's bound to be someone among them who knows the resort that you can hook up with - think they're on the mountainsun deal?

As rob@rar says, poor visibility is just one of those things. So long as you can see just beyond the next piste marker, skiing in a snow storm can be a lot of fun and you often have the place to yourself as the fair-weather skiers hole up in a bar. Having said that, don't be too proud to know your limitations - if you feel you have reached the limits of your concentration or you can't see beyond your nose and you really fear you might get lost on the mountain, there's no shame in calling it a day. Discretion is the better part of valour after all - better to keep intact to ski another day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

all of the pisted runs and some off-piste.

illsendit, be very, very, careful on the off-piste. Conditions are dangerous right now and will probably get worse with a lot of heavy windblown snow. And that's without thinking about the huge crevasses once you're off piste on the glacier.
Quote:

I also don't want to miss a minute of my skiing time, I want to get better! How can I go about making sure I ski everyday??

The answer to those questions is to take some good lessons. There are plenty of really excellent options for tuition in Tignes and following an expert is one of the very best ways of dealing with those nasty days of flat light and poor visibility. For most of us, lessons are the only way of really improving; you grow in confidence as you hoon around on your own, but not necessarily in skill, and you can consolidate bad habits.

Welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Don't forget to tell us about how it goes. Have fun.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
illsendit, The runs down to Les Bois & Le Brevieres may well be open. These aer fairly easy runs and have tree cover. I have spent all day in this arera during bad weather and it was fine for a nervous skier.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
illsendit!!!

NooooOOOOOOO!!! Don't listen to Frosty the Snowman whatever you do! His ironic tips could lead to disaster!! Skullie

See here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46021
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy