Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Getting from Turnin airport to Serre Chevelier?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

We have booked flights to Turin

We are just working out were to go from here. We fancy Serre Chevlier.

Can anyone tell me if we would be able to get a bus or train as the transfers are working out silly money

Thanks

Nikki
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.sixti.com for cheap car hire could well be your best option.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NIKKIWHITE, have you tried http://www.serrechevaliertransfers.com/index.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

cheap car hire could well be your best option.

Did it twice by hire car from the Italian side last winter. It's about a 1.5-2hr drive depending on conditions.

First time (Jan 0Cool: The return from Briancon over the Col de Montgenevre in fresh snow was horrific - we didn't hire chains so (ridiculously with hindsight) just ignored the flashing signs saying it was compulsory to carry chains and just went for it. Quite a few cars were either stuck or fitting chains but I managed (with a bit of sliding here and there) to get the car up the pass. A total sweat soaked nightmare by the top and such a relief.....A sobering lesson if ever there was one.

Second time (Apr 0Cool: This time the journey TO Briancon was in heavy snow - but this time we had chains - Hoorah!! What a difference - amazing!! So impressed that we bought some adjustable/universal chains to fit assorted wheel sizes at an Italian motorway service station for future holiday use.

The moral of the tale? Hire some chains if you hire a car wink.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Was not wanting to hire a car unless we had to.

Just wondered if anyone had been able to do this transfer on the cheap via a bus or train route

Nikki
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
NIKKIWHITE, when are you travelling? Might make a difference to the recommendations. But transfers do tend to work out as the most expensive part of the journey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks..

We arrive sat 31st Jan at 9.40 am and depart at 10.05 sat 7th Feb.

Nikki
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Faffage: shuttle to Turin centre, train to Oulx, bus to Briancon.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How's your Italian? Try this site - it's the bus provider for Turin to Briancon. My very limited grasp of Italian (very limited) suggests clicking on the tab Trasporto Publico and then selecting Orari Stampabili for the options.....there may well be other snowHeads who do speak the language and could provide a better understanding.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict,

I have hired a car - is it a good road all the way or a narrow winding death trap?

Ta

M
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mattmulkeen, It is motorway for about 3/4 of the journey. It is then followed by a climb over the Col de Montgenevre, which is has a lot of hairpin bends. But it isn't a death trap, and I believe in the winter it is cleared very quickly after snowfall. You have to ascent the and descend the Col with hairpins on both sides.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mattmulkeen, it is a main route so is cleared quite quickly. Take it easy, and you will be OK.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
cta taxis was the cheapest last year
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Christopher, Helen Beaumont,

Hairpins + picture on serre che snow report thread - now i know why you were a shade concerned Christopher.

ta

M
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mattmulkeen, I've been driven over that pass on many a occaision. But the majority of times its been in summer. The couple of times I have been up it in winter it hadn't snowed for about a week, so it didn't require snow chains and we were being driven by locals.

Just praying that the 10 day weather forecast is wrong and that it won't snow next saturday.
ski holidays
Pictures of the Col here in the summer.

http://www.grenoblecycling.com/Col-Montgenevre.htm

http://www.aukadia.net/alps/mon.htm

Best picture so far of one of the hairpins http://www.livius.org/a/battlefields/alps/genevre.jpg

You can see the Col climbing down from Montgenevre down towards Briancon and Serre Che.
ski holidays
Quote:

Best picture so far of one of the hairpins

Looks like a pretty well engineered hairpin to me - but obviously any resort access is likely to be one where chains are needed in snowy weather.

Quote:

Just praying that the 10 day weather forecast is wrong and that it won't snow next saturday.

Christopher, you might be changing your mind about what you wish for... the weather outlook thread has some rather dire predictions about a Christmas foehn. wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy