Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pre-trip nerves

Poster: A snowHead
I'm suffering from them.

My main problem is I get VERY nervous when skiing in groups (which is why I've relied on private lessons in the past). This is because I have cystic fibrosis and my lung function is far from normal. I'm very fit at sea level (I am a fitness instructor) but find it harder to compensate when at altitude. The things that cause me most difficulty are poling along on the flat/skating, and carrying skis, particularly up the stairs to a gondola lift. I also need to have more breathers when skiing down a long piste than most people, although my skiing itself is reasonably decent (I'm a Level 1 BASI instructor). I obviously find the extra exertion of off-piste skiing in deeper powder difficult because of the extra effort involved compared to skiing on a nice smooth piste. I can manage short bursts of good technique, but can't do a whole run at once without a few stops.

What bothers me about being in a group is the fact that

a) People have to wait for me either at the bottom or top of lifts to catch up when lugging skis around
b) People then set off as soon as I've arrived, so I can't get a breather and I start off struggling and immediately get left behind, with even more and progressively longer delays. This goes on all day, and I get exhausted and unable to benefit from the teaching.
c) These other people have paid for their lessons too. I am taking time from them that they could otherwise use skiing.

I guess in total, depending on terrain and the lift situation, I could cost a group about 1/2 hour out of a 3 hour half-day tuition in them waiting for me.

Nobody has actually complained directly to me in the past, although there have been varying levels of tolerance, and some exhortations to "keep up". People have varied in their response from ignoring me completely to offering to help carry my skis.

I'd like to know how tolerant people on SH would be if they felt I was eating into ski and tuition time that they have paid for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
docsquid, I'd like to put I my hand and say "no....it wouldn't worry me" because it could easily be me or someone else in the group, so no-one should make you feel uneasy. If it is a serious concern then you should ask the instructor and if they are fine with it, then so should everyone else be.

I am very deaf and have told the instructors this. I have to wear hearing aids in both ears and under a woolly hat they are not great and certainly not across a slope as then I cannot even attempt to lip read so have to either shuffle across or keep asking people to repeat what we've been told to do. Otherwise I simply get it wrong and then people think I'm dim or not listening.

Please don't worry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
docsquid, in my experience a) b) and c) are not infrequently encountered even when the folk involved are not burdened with a condition other than general unfitness (and no, it's not always me at 900 years old but sometimes is wink ). Maybe I've just been lucky but most groups I've been in are quite tolerant, adopting an "all for one and one for all" approach - I've even seen a guide in Serre Che carry about 4 pairs of skis for members of a group (not mine I hasten to add!).

The only time a bit of tetchiness creeps in is if potential danger is involved - eg sun moving onto avalanche prone slopes, getting dark with a fair way to get back etc. But under those circumstances I feel the party leader has some responsibility to assess whether the group as a whole is up to the task, whether that assessment involves fitness, skiing ability or whatever.

I'm always nervous when joining an "unknown" group, but it usually works out pretty well Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
docsquid, that's a really interesting question.

If I didn't know about your CF, I might just think, and be a little annoyed, that you simply hadn't taken enough trouble to get as fit as the course obviously required. (Omigod, what have I just said? I don't think I'm going to be fit enough for the course I'm soon going on myself, and there's nothing wrong with me apart from being old, fat and lazy!) But if I did know, I'd make allowances. Coincidentally, I'm doing a rowing course at the moment, and there's one blind person with whom I'm usually in a boat: she is given the stroke position, so that she can set the pace, rather than having to look at the movements of the person in front of her, which she obviously can't do. Unfortunately, she has little sense of rhythm, so it's quite difficult to synchronize with her. I find that mildly irritating, occasionally, but wouldn't dream of making an issue of it.

I think, in your place, I would put my cards on the table at the start and maybe even ask other people to carry your skis, if there's a tiring walk in prospect. (You don't have to give both skis to the same person, and it's really no trouble for most people to carry a single, extra ski for a bit.)

As to your point b), it's the first and golden rule of skiing and hill-walking, or should be, that the person who arrives last also needs some decent rest time. That applies to everybody, whether or not they are incapacitated in the way that you are. So I think you'd be well within your rights to remind people of that if necessary - through the instructor, if that makes it easier.

Do you explain the position to the course organisers in advance? If you do, and they accept you on to the course, then it's up to them to ensure that sufficient allowances are made for you and to ensure, too, that you are not hassled by other course members.

I hope you have a great time, you deserve it!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you explain the issue upfront it shouldn't be a problem, and I'd expect a good instructor to be able to tailor his course to aviod some of the issues that arise.

PLus if theres any smokers they'll be be just a buggered at altitude and also get a fag break thrown in.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

If you explain the issue upfront it shouldn't be a problem

Yes, that would be my view too. I would also hope that such an explanation would prompt someone to offer to carry your skis. My OH certainl would; he carries mine to relieve my hands, which are a bit sore with arthritis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi docsquid, this wouldn't bother me at all, I may well end up being slower than you! I don't know if we'll end up in the same group but for a half day class I can't understand why anyone would moan about being 'held up' for a short while. I think Hurtle's right about informing the ITS crew just so they're aware and can plan sessions accordingly. Hopefully, there will be a few snowheads in the group so that any malcontents can be leaned-on if they become unreasonable. Being a Billy Nomates skier, I like being in groups for the social aspects as much as the skiing and have been in loads of groups over the years. I've only ever encountered one group where there were issues with someone who shouldn't have been there but this person insisted and ignored the instructor's advice. This person was an oddball, you seem quite normal, hope you don't worry about it too much. See you on Saturday.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
docsquid,
I think this is an interesting question and there is not a clear answer. It is usual in off piste groups that I have been with that if there is a member who is significantly slower than the rest of the group that they move down to a level at which they are comfortable. It is quite often for reasons of fitness rather than technique, I have sometimes been that person.
If there is a group that is going slower it may make some sense to join it although you may have better technique than the others you will be skiing at the same speed and the learning opportunities should be the same.

Having said that if you make it clear early on what the hassle for you is I would expect you to get lot more assistance particularly with carrying skis etc. If it is a struggle it is sometimes worthwhile missing out on the last run which stops you from getting chronically tired and allows the rest a bit more skiing. I suspect you cost the group less time than you imagine as the next least fit person may appear fit when getting plenty of rest but would find it tough if you were not there.

Hope you have a really great time and good luck with it. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is mainly why I ski by myself and not in a group. I'm asthmatic and I have fibromyalgia. Although I ski OK, I'm not particularly fit and I find need a lot more breathers than most people. I just do it all in my own time and arrange to meet folks for food/drink stops...

Good luck to you though. I'm sure most people won't mind a few extra chances to admire the scenery...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
docsquid I hope you have a great time , I love group ski classes I must say, and have always found great camaraderie and support from the group altho I usually am behind,as, I am much older than the rest of the group usually ,so like to take little rests every so often. It has never been any problem at least that 's the impression I got ..and they all remained in the class for the week !...Enjoy !
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks guys. I have talked at length with the ItS guys about this, and always explain things to the instructor so they can be aware. I have also selected one level down from the level that actually reflects my ski ability, so hopefully I will be able to use better ski speed to keep up. Mr DS is going in a higher level group, so I won't have him around to help with my skis. It wasn't an issue on my Level 1 course but then I did that in the Tamworth fridge where keeping up is less of a problem.

If they are planning a whole morning off-piste I'll probably duck out, or ask if there is an opportunity to duck out half way through e.g. a coffee stop. I need more off-piste practice but recognise in my case this is better achieved through private lessons.

It is very annoying - I train hard for at least 10-13 hours every week: base/endurance CV, lactate intervals, sprint intervals, weights and endurance conditioning - you name it, I do it. Without it, I wouldn't get out of the hotel, let alone be able to ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think courtesy is due from both sides. I cannot imagine that there isn't somebody who will offer to carry skis (although I don't think I've ever spent time in a lesson carrying skis?). Equally, I think it is very discourteous for a person who cannot keep up to slow down an entire group. And I don't think that inability to keep up as a result of illness is any better an excuse than being unfit. If you're in a group, you have to be able to keep up, otherwise it's just irritating.

The reality of life is that we all have things we cannot do; no way could I train for football with Hull United - let alone MU; I couldn't go running with the local harriers; I couldn't play golf with a pro. Were I to try to do any of these things I would: 1. irritate others; 2. irritate myself; 3. feel embarassed.

Because I'm incompetent with ball games, does that mean I have a disability and I have to be in the top group? I know dyxlexia is a recognised disability; perhaps I'm dyspraxic?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I guess it's a question of balance. The instructor will have to balance the needs of his group as a whole, which always means a spread of abilities, fitness levels, aptitude in certain conditions, etc, so it will not be an unusual situation for the instructor to deal with. If there is a member of the group that is considerably out of step with the rest you would hope that the instructor/ski school can deal with the situation. This normally means moving people to different groups. For myself the opportunity to pause for breath while someone in the group is catching up is often welcome, although I accept there is a point at which it would become frustrating.

As others have said, I'd let your classmates know you that you have a certain issue with altitude and extended periods of exertion. Most people will have skied with people who have to wait for them from time to time, so hopefully there will be a level of understanding towards your CF. If you feel there is a session where it is clear that you are holding the group back then I'm sure your classmates would appreciate you ducking out for part of the time and taking things at your own pace for part of the day.

Enjoy your trip to Tignes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid,
Accepting that altitude is a particular problem for you why not try and ski in countries other than France? The equivalent snow levels are lower further East so you should get decent skiing at a lower altitude in Austria or further North in Norway though I believe Norwegian weahter is a bit more maritime.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
docsquid, my biggest fear in group skiing has always been being the worst/slowest in the group. When others fall over/go slow I want to hug them in gratitude. There also aren't many opportunities in this day and age to be chivalrous/macho and I always welcome the opportunity to pretend to be fit and strong by carrying multiple pairs of skis (and....puff...grunt...showing...no..arrgh...pain...of course)

As T Bar, says though, why not lower the altitude? 3 really good resorts entirely below a mile (with apologies for doing the altitudes from memory) Tremblant tops out below 1000m, Are 1200m, Hemsedal 1400m. Moving to Austria, 1000s of KM of world class skiing below 2000m - ski amade, ski welt, tirol etc.
snow conditions
Everytime I have skied in a group we tend to go at the pace of the slowest skier - usually myself !!
snow report
T Bar, there aren't a whole lot of options at this time of year for lower altitude skiing, and we particularly wanted to go for Christmas this year. We have been to Austria before. Anywhere outside the EU is not possible for me as I can't get medical insurance cover Sad
ski holidays
Well I'm on the ItS course too and I'm already concerned about keeping up a) because of ability, and b) because I have a knackered knee with surgery due a week after I get back. I am generally one of the older members of group lessons, and I find that the younger ones (naturally) make more progress than me during a week. So normally by the end of the week I feel I have to jump out of the group, because, as you say, I don't want to irritate people by holding them up, and also because I get so tired I no longer enjoy the skiing. Hopefully I will last longer than a couple of days, but if I don't I'm normally quite happy toodling around and humming to myself.
ski holidays
docsquid,
Austria is a big country skiing wise! I admit I don't know what the snow reports are saying today about Christmas but do look at Kitz/St. Johann. You have access from those low resorts to Kitz, including up to Pass Thurn, the Ski Welt, St. Johann and Steinplatte and Fieberbrunn. All can be done in one holiday, if you are prepared to spend a little time moving about, by efficient ski buses or, if your pocket allows, even more easily by hiring a car. All of this area has its resorts at valley level and at a lower altitude than France and I have skiied there in Jan, Feb and March most years and more than once each season (save 2005 in Morzine in April when same applied) since 2002 without any lack of snow other than in the valleys. It is certainly worth googling those resorts and you may be pleasantly surprised. Hope this helps,
Aneira
ski holidays
docsquid, rob@rar, had it right, its a balance. After an accident I've been in a similar position. Damaged knee mean I cannot dart about as much as i used to\want to. It manifests itself with pain and me ski-ing shorter distances and avoiding stairs. Maybe a leaning towards the odd extra beer stop ! Smile

I balance this by doing my best. Thats all I can do and it all you can do. If anyone is so over keen, they should be pointed at private lessons where the only one they can compalin about is themselves!

The instructor or guide should deal with any group complaints. If they dont, why worry, its their responsibility! In any event chill, enjoy, being in the mountains, ski-ing its better than being a sea level!! wink
latest report
Aneira, yes, I'd be keen to go to Austria again. The main problem is all the courses I'd want to go on tend to be in France or Switzerland (e.g. Inspired to Ski, Snoworks). So Austria tends to be a one week holiday for us fitted in between the more serious instruction-type holidays.

noggy, I am quite happy to jump out of the group if I can't keep up too. We've got some private lessons booked for Christmas week anyway, so this should make up any shortfall from the course.
snow report
docsquid, I've now caught your pre-trip nerves! Laughing
latest report
docsquid,

I have just come back from Lillehammer, Hajfell and Kjitsfell are only 10-15 mins away from the town, both areas below 1000m and have good skiing, and there is PLENTY of snow even now. The only draw back is £5.80 a pint Shocked

Although with £ so weak against the Euro its gonna be £4.50 for a pint in france me thinks.

Norway is covered by the EU recipricol health thingy as its a member of the EFTA, and if Norway is no good Are in Sweden offers a very similar experience and is also pretty goood for early season snow. Lots of people dont like the lack of sunlight but I find it quite atmospheric!
latest report
docsquid wrote:
The main problem is all the courses I'd want to go on tend to be in France or Switzerland (e.g. Inspired to Ski, Snoworks).

Have you looked at Alpine Coaching. All mountain and off-piste courses in the Zillertal.
snow conditions
Well - it didn't work out very well. First morning getting off a busy chairlift, a snowboarder fell over in front of the instructor who was sitting on my right. He did a reflex snowplough to avoid the boarder and unfortunately my ski was trapped under his, so I couldn't stop, turn or do anything. I fell spraining my lateral collateral knee ligament. Holiday over after 2 hours skiing.

So, I spent the rest of the week in a chalet in Tignes while everybody else was out playing in the snow. We managed to get a flight back a week early, as there was no point in staying if I couldn't ski as I was bored out of my head just sitting there. So my dream Christmas skiing in Tignes turned out to be an ordinary Christmas in Tamworth with a sore knee and no skiing.

The flight back was a nightmare. Chambery airport (yes, I know, but we had no choice at short notice) was foggy and eventually closed with all flights cancelled. After 7 hour delay we were bussed to Grenoble and waited three hours for a flight back to Stanstead. We got back after midnight and had to stay in the hotel at Stanstead, and get the train back in the morning. It didn't end there - the train was cancelled at Cambridge so we had to lug all our stuff off the train and wait for another. We finally got back after 36 hours of travelling.

My knee is getting a bit better, although there is still quite a lot of pain when I bend it fully. But I've now caught a cold as a result of waiting in crowded airports, and am about to be started on IV antibiotics - 2 weeks of giving myself injections three times a day. Lovely Sad

Lets hope it goes better in Courchevel in March.

Unfortunately there is now no hope of doing my Level 2 this season thanks to missing 2 weeks of precious skiing practice Sad
snow conditions
docsquid, Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Get well soon - and keep that March trip in your sights!
latest report
docsquid, what an awful shame for you. Hope you recover soon
snow conditions
docsquid,

No luck, I did my ACL last new year and was absolutely gutted, so I know how you feel. Hope you recover quickly!

Is it my imagination or do more snowboarders fall getting off chairlifts than stay upright? Anyway I've carefully avoided getting on a chairlift with a snowboarder for the last couple of years Little Angel

The big comeback on 17th January and I must admit I'm nervous
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
docsquid, Bad luck indeed... slow speed falls like this are the worst..and not even your fault. I nearly thumped someone who did that to me and dumped me on my backside with my bindings racked up... rolling eyes Grrrrr..!!!!

I do hope Mar is better for you
latest report
docsquid,

Can you not try skiing alone? and agree to meet each other at a designated place for lunch or regroup?

Seems to me you want to stick with the skiing companions who ski faster than you. Choose those who ski slower and your problem should disappear.
snow conditions
docsquid, sorry to hear about your injury and troubles, it must have been a nightmare especially considering how much you were looking forward to and considering how to approach the holiday, and as a boarder I apologise for the one that fell and caused your instructor to ski in to you Shocked ,
ski holidays
docsquid, what very bad luck. Sorry to hear it was such a disaster; hope the knee is fully better for you to start back on the exercise before long.
latest report
docsquid, So sorry to hear of your disappointment and then all the travel hassles - you must be really fed up Sad Fingers crossed all heals well and your Courchevel trip makes up for it, with knobs on! Very Happy
ski holidays
docsquid, Bad luck. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hope your chest gets better quickly. And hope you have a great trip in March. snowHead snowHead
latest report
docsquid, sorry to hear that, rotten luck Sad
ski holidays
docsquid, sorry to hear yout news. And there was I a bit fed up because our outbound flight was 5 1/2 hrs late and inbound 2 1/2 rolling eyes

There's loads of coughs around at the moment; we sat on the transfer coach and plane wishing that we had surgical masks as everybody spluttered around us.
latest report
Nick L,
Quote:

There's loads of coughs around at the moment; we sat on the transfer coach and plane wishing that we had surgical masks as everybody spluttered around us.

Cor yeah, I bet! I was in Tignes same week as docsquid, noggy, and Kelskii and I had a real booger of a chesty cough for all 3 weeks of my trip pretty much apart from the first few days, despite taking a 'good' cough medicine recommended to me for the sort of cough it was from the local pharmacy. It didn't stop me skiing though Very Happy Very Happy, just had to give it some welly after any bouts of exertion. I can't grumble as such since I had the most excellent time cough or no cough. Very Happy

docsquid, sorry to hear about your nightmare journey back home and hope that you are fully recovered with the knee and the cold very soon. Enjoy your trip to Courchevel in March.
ski holidays
docsquid, Sorry to hear that too. Hope you mend soon.
latest report
docsquid, Sad bad luck indeed. I hope your plans for 2009 skiing work out well.
ski holidays
docsquid...so sorry to hear about your nightmare journey and accident ,,hope you make a quick recovery and have a great holiday in March.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy