Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Headgear

Poster: A snowHead
My preference is for a flat tweed cap, as the brim keeps the low sun out of my eye and reduces glare. I am always astonished that more caps are not worn on the slopes. Beanies don't keep the sun out of your eyes!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
James the Last wrote:
My preference is for a flat tweed cap, as the brim keeps the low sun out of my eye and reduces glare. I am always astonished that more caps are not worn on the slopes. Beanies don't keep the sun out of your eyes!

Apparently there's some new-fangled monocle device whereby you wear two monocle simultaneously which are linked with an arm over your nose. These monocles are then made of darker glass so that the sun then doesn't get in ones eyes. Apparently they are called "Sunglasses", a novel invention indeed
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peak beanies do. wink I must admit the flat cap 'Sid the Sexist' look is very 'this season'. Do you wear it with a donkey jacket?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are plenty of warm hats with peaks. The problem with most flat caps (apart from the fact that they'd blow off if not secured under the chin with a fetching ribbon) is that they don't cover your ears, which can soon get very cold.

Some French skiers round our way wear a "chapeau Savoyard", which keeps the sun out of the eyes and is quite dashing but one needs a certain Gallic "je ne sais quoi" to wear one without looking like an idiot.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There is a solution (with the ribbon tied under chin). David Goldsmith can no doubt give further advice on its merits.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 10-12-08 18:15; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

Or

http://images.google.co.uk/images?um=1&hl=en&rls=RNWE%2CRNWE%3A2005-11%2CRNWE%3Aen&q=%22chapeau+Savoyard%22

I know which one I'd prefer, Pam!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ecky thump your slow to catch on down south. Me & my whippit have been wearing 'em for yonks. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Peaks catch the wind when going at speed and fly off. Beanie for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
James the Last, where do you leave your spaniel when you are on the slopes? I find they get a bit raucuous so leave mine tethered to a piste marker near a restaurant when some kindly sould might offer a bit of surplus tartiflette.
And the plus fours and puttees must be a bit tricky in the powder. Nice hat that though, must see if my man can track one down. Chin Chin.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well, I did say you needed a bit of Gallic flair to carry off the chapeau Savoyard....

Yes, agree with T Bar. But you'll be OK with your ribbon. Or maybe a hat pin?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w,
The hairs a bit thin on top for a hat pin . Embarassed
Could try the ribbon thing though, not too sure how many admiring glances it would attract. Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Although I don't use it for skiing for working around the farm mum and I have bought knitted balaclavas which have a built in peak. You can roll the balaclava part up above the peak or use as a peaked balaclava. They are great around the farm as they keep us warm and also keep any precipitation off of our spectacles.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yes, we have those for inclement days on the mountains. They make great ones in fleece, and they don't need either a ribbon a hatpin to keep them on. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

Yes, we have those for inclement days on the mountains. They make great ones in fleece, and they don't need either a ribbon a hatpin to keep them on.

You modern trendy wink They are supposed to be made of brown pre-shrunk very hairy wool Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
RobinS, I can't do "itchy" I'm afraid. Otherwise nothing would part me from my pre-shrunk, matted, very hairy wool balaclava.

Actually, I now wear a helmet - with a silk balaclava underneath if it's cold. Perfect solution, especially when it's precipitating.
latest report
Is this a 'stealth' version of the perennial 'should I wear a helmet' thread? Toofy Grin

If so the answer is 'yes' if you want to, but as an adult you should have freedom of choice to protect or bash out your brains on a rock if that's your thang.

There - no need for another 20 pages of debate Madeye-Smiley
latest report
d3o peaked beanie? http://www.hardcloud.com/product/igd301ct.asp - as defence against errant skis wielded by those not carrying their skis properly, obviously. wink
But I think these will still need sunglasses, as the peak is probably not long enough to be useful against the sun, but adds a bit of style?

I followed the lead of the instructor we had last year and adopted a baseball cap for sunny warm days. Meant I could use my prescription glasses with reactolite lenses all day. Keeps the sun off the bald patch, but not great for the ears when it's cold.
ski holidays
Cap for the slopes?

http://www.snowandrock.com/Department/Clothing/Hats/Granite+Cap+TNF0547.htm
snow conditions
Sheared beaver for me every time

http://www.furhatworld.com/product_thumb.php?img=images/mens-hats-3-108.jpg&w=172&h=172
latest report
Nice sartorial selection here, so which hats will complement the outfits?

snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy