Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

No transceiver, no ride

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Is this a world first?

The new Schlasman's Chairlift at Bridger Bowl ski area in Montana, which will serve 311 acres of ungroomed expert terrain, will only be accessible to skiers carrying an avalanche transceiver. Riders will also be advised to ski with a partner and carry a shovel.

The opening of the chairlift commemorates an interesting disaster on 10 February 1885, which explains its name and may help to explain the rule for riding it.

This report from Bridger Bowl

Do you agree with this regulation? Should it apply to any European lifts?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Agree. Although carrying a transceiver and not having a partner (which is only advisable rather than compulsory) won't help much.

There's a cable car in St Anton (Lech connection) where I understand you can't get on without a guide, which is annoying. I'd prefer the policy above to apply to a few more lifts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to have a transciever to go through gates from in-bounds to out-of-bounds in many places in USA, I am told. Does this lift only go to out of bounds? I assume so.

You can only go on the top stage of the Valluga lift (St Anton) with skis if you are with a guide. Guides would make sure you had a transciever so in effect you can only go up with skis if you have a transciever. It used to be the case on the Cresta d'Arp at Courmayeur, but I think I read somewhere they do let people without a guide up now (though they don't advise it). I can't see how they could demand it for any lift which goes to a piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
horizon,

The cable car only fits 6 (or less) people in it (I've been in it a few times), even if anybody could use it the queues would be massive and it'd be chaos on the top. It's not the most difficult run but without a guide I'd imagine a lot of people would get lost putting pressure on the emergency services as it's very easy to find the wrong valley.

Thought I heard somewhere that places such as La Grave and Krippenstein required people to have safety equipment. Not entirely sure if this was a requirement or a very strong recommendation.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 10-12-08 15:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never seen anyone checking for safety equipment at LG, although in most circumstances it would be pretty crazy not to take it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've never known La Grave to check for transcievers.

The Valluga-Zurs descent, though not that steep for people used to steep off piste, is very exposed to big cliffs at the top, so I can see why they do it - quite apart from the route finding problem. Also you might get people who weren't up to it going up there and then trying it, out of bravado.
As it is most of the people who go up just do it to see the view. You get lots of people watching you when you start down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they're going to send a patrol in there to find your mangled corpse then it's reasonable for them to ask you to make their lives that bit easier and safer.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not a first... there's many resorts in the US and canada where the same rules apply...

Delirium Dive at Sunshine being one of them
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied the Valluga to Zurs descent with a St Anton instructor, who had dished out transceivers but didn't ask us if we had a clue how to use them. I must admit that when I launched down that initial pitch the risk of an avalanche wasn't uppermost in my mind!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly wrote:
It's not a first... there's many resorts in the US and canada where the same rules apply...

Delirium Dive at Sunshine being one of them

I've not skied there, but here's a map and an article on Delirium Dive:

http://www.skibanff.com/trail_map/main.html
http://www.skibanff.com/media/images/skiing-delirium.jpg

Are you saying that the Continental Divide chair requires a transceiver for a ride, or does this lift access marked trails too?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David Goldsmith, the Divide accesses marked trails also. Same situation with the Goatseye chair to access the Wild West (which you need a Transceiver etc to enter).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bridger Bowl. Top ski area & cheap !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, have you done Wild West? If so, how did it compare with Delirium Dive, or even the steeps at Louise?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shoogly, haven't skied any, did not open till March this year and I had all my exams etc.. Apparently the Dive is just like the Ultimate Steeps at LL but longer, obviously there are far more technical lines available... Wild West is meant to be a step up even still.. then there is Silver City which is just unreal terrain..

Terrain at LL gets much more difficult, a wind loaded ER6 is probably the steepest thing I have ever skied.. think top of Paradise chair, to the right but not straight back on yourself, round behind that rocky outcrop and down towards "The Wall". Definitely a "no fall zone".

Have you any plans to get back out to Banff?

Ross.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
David Goldsmith, Never mind I am sure you could bambozzle your way through the tamsin conditions with your trust avy cord.

I think its eminently sensible and maybe some Euro resorts should consider it leaving more areas unpisted but partially controlled.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy