Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Norway

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK so I have never been skiing much. I know all about the usual places in EU but Norway, not much. What is the skiing like in Norway???

Rob
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I went to Geilo for my first skiing holiday. It's very unlike the Alps. It sits in a valley by a fjord with the slopes on either side, one side leading up to a plateau. There are only about 30km of runs I think and they are neither long or steep and the highest point is only about 1000m. I went in early January and the snow was good and it was a good place to learn with English commonly spoken. Other things to be aware of are that daylight hours can be short, food and particularly alcohol are expensive. The hotels seemed to be of a very good standard.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But for something exotic (and rather expensive) see this.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Have just arrived back from lillehammer today, plenty of snow at Hajfell the nearest ski area, and its REALLY cold so the snow is in great condition. Hajfell has a reasonable verticle of about 750m but there is only enough skiing to keep you interested fro a couple of days. However Kijtfell is also within striking distance of Lillehammer, and both offer good opertunities for some easy off piste. The reason not many people go is because everything is twice as exspensive as the UK, but it is a great place and the people are really friendly, and also easy on the eye wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robert_dorling, I skiied Hajfell a few years ago and had an excellent few days of empty piste and good conditions.

It is worth the trip, we went with Norwegian Wood Travel who looked after us really well
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm off to Hemsedal in 6 weeks and have been given "awesome" reviews. Can't wait! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did Oppdal last year at Easter.

Small by Alp standards, but big by Scandanavian ones. We have 3 kids, and it's great skiing with them for a week, or if you were a beginner, but it's pretty limiting for good skiers. I think that this would apply to pretty much any of the resorts in this part of the world.

It's a good time of year to visit as the weather and daylight is a lot better than early in the year, and there's less worry about snow conditions than further south.

Some things (beer, eating out) are much more expensive than the Alps. Other things (supermarket food, lift passes, accomodation, equipment hire etc) are not particularly dear, and (this is dull but important) the Norwegian currency is worth about the same as a £ was last year at the moment, but the Euro 20% more expensive, so you can see that a trip to Norway or Sweden is comparitively better value than an Alpine one this year viz last year.

Other good points - different scenery, friendly English speaking staff/instructors, really empty pistes midweek (great for kids), flights don't get booked up quite as badly if you book your own.

eg of cost.

apartment for 8 days for (comfortable) 6 - 6100kr (£600)
lift passes - 6 days £130 for adults, £100 for kids
flights with Norwegian £60 each
train between oslo and oppdal - can't remember, but not too much and you could hire a car and travel to a lesser airport and save on flights)

This can add as my family ski holiday cost guide as well (I would say total for 2 adults and 3 kids without food about £2000).

d

having said all that, back to the Alps this year !!!

DO DO but as many wine boxes at the airport as duty free will allow. It's the only way.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy