Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best single thought to get down icy steep red/moderate black please

Poster: A snowHead
Guys, appealing to all of ye great skiers out there for one good thought /reminder to help a 'trier' conquer icy steep reds/moderate blacks - the noise as one is traversing the piste in prep of a turn really puts all rationale manoeuvres out of my head! help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I find the first turn is the hardest. Once I've made that turn, I find keeping a rhythm going really does help.

And my mantra on the bike is, "speed is your friend". On the MTB, lots of tricky stuff is easier at high speed since you have more stability. I think the same will apply to turns when on skis?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"I DID IT!"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's fresh powder in Heaven. Skullie Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MartinH wrote:
There's fresh powder in Heaven. Skullie Madeye-Smiley

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

nbt & mountain mad, encouragement is always good - ta fo that
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sing!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nbt, has got it in one. Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"I really did remember to do my edges............didn't i????"

..................oh sh11111111111te!!!!!

also don't think about it, just do it Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pain is transitory so it's not worth worrying about. It's tha same as boarding, as long as your weight is being put into the front of the planks and kept there you can make the turn. I know from very personal experience that the moment your weight goes into your heels and stays there, you loose all control.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just get down it... I wouldnt worry about being stylish or cursing yourself for not turning in the right place. Once you are confident that you can get down it somehow... you can start thinking about getting down it with knowhow.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doogo, first make sure your edges are sharp, next make sure your edges are sharp, next try to go more down the fall line of an icy slope especially if it is only a short distance, it is always much harder to turn on a steepslope if you are traversing across it.

Finally a short prayer is often helpful, something along the lines of "Please God don't let me die !" will often suffice Cool
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One thought - lean down the hill
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's all about edges, it they are good enough they will bite into the hardpack, if they aren't you will slide.

Sometimes it can be quite funny doing a controlled sideslip straight down at speed. You do get some funny looks. And that takes confidence...thats all...

But it probably isn't the time to ask.. you need to prepare yourself in advance.

Practice getting your edges to bite on early morning hardpack.

For me this means turning your knees into the hill...not leaning into it...and keep looking down the hill trying to get your wait over the edges and front of your skis.

In a word...angulation
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The one thought - face down the hill, once you let yourself start to traverse it's twice as hard to turn.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lean forward (I think "Up and forward" at the turn initiation - weird but it works for me!)....don't worry if you slide, relax....you'll stop eventually when you reach the next patch of snow!
snow report
Quote:

"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"you can do it"
"I DID IT!"

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Actually, that's pretty close - I talk myself down slopes like that: "lean forward, lean forward, and some more!!!, up and down, up and down etc...., that's crap, Steve, do it better... etc"

Works for me - might for you (except the "Steve" bits, obviously)
snow conditions
Sorry it cannot be done in one line

All depends on the conditions.But in general,look for the part of the piste with the best snow, try short linked turns try to confine your path down between lines about 3 to 4 metres apart ,less if poss,avoid traversing right across the slope till you have to do your turn to avoid going off,do not let your outer/downhill leg become like a poker as you turn.
All the usual stuff that you know already but which is forgotten the second you go over the edge.

Pretty much what everybody else is saying.

I generally pretend that my upper body is just hanging over the front of the skis like a sack of cement as they pass below,and my legs are jelly(that does not take much pretence)I try to keep as low as poss and breathe in on the turns.What could possibly go wrong.Well it works for me.

Now if I could just get a body that is 40 years younger

Oh just one other thing that I have noticed,do not stand at the top of a steep piste for too long looking at it,it just makes you even more nervous,Just push your way through the crowd that is always there and ski off.everybody will think you are an expert till you go backside over tit
ski holidays
all,
great advice - look forward to putting it into action next week -perhaps coming down the luc alphand in chantmerle - hear there is a pretty good vantage point down the bottom to see spectacular fallers (which would be me.....) Embarassed Laughing
snow report
Who is Luc Alphand,oh yes I remember,I hope you are not going to emulate some of his crashes,see you in the Yeti bar or in bandages next week.You can buy the first round ,now you really are nervous
ski holidays
Mark Lehto wrote:
Just get down it... I wouldnt worry about being stylish or cursing yourself for not turning in the right place.

Quite right. Bvgger style, if you're too involved with looking good you might forget about more important things, like looking out for other piste users, or navigating to the next bar.
ski holidays
Just a couple more small tips. On just about every icy slope you will find that the snow has been swept out to the sides of the piste by all the people that gone down it before you. If you can hack a tight line, then stick to the couple of metres at the side of the piste. You will almost always find that there is good powdery snow there! The other advantage is that everybody else is grubbing around in the middle of the piste, so you get a free run down the side!
In fact what I usually do is ski a couple of meters out beside the piste boundary because you almost always find that if the piste is icy then the snow there has been skied enough to be like normal grippy pisted stuff.
If you really can't use the sides then remember that pistes usually only have icy patches (unless you ski down a world cup run immediately after the race, in which case you learn to respect the racers all the more). When you hit ice, just go straight down it and head for the next bump which will usually have decent snow on it to stop yourself on! It's worked every time for me so far, except, like I said, on the Hahnenkamm, which was a sobering experience...
snow conditions
The most difficult part is committing downhill. It's essential, but scary! Also, be gentle, but decisive on your edges.
ski holidays
Pole plant. If you can't then you're too scared and leaning too far uphill...
ski holidays
Learn to 'love the hill' - it's all about what's in your head.

AW
snow report
Great thread doogo, and a common problem for us all.
Lots of good tips: you must adopt what works best for you.
Like mountain mad and Legal Steve, I'm a great talker-to-myself when things get tough - boosts my morale and gets me more room as other skiers move away realising I am quite bonkers.
I'm the opposite of nbt: I take one turn at a time: go-for-it, turn, and stop. Relax, smile, deep breath, and off we go again. . . .
Each time you turn and manage to stop, you are reasured you are in control and have more confidence for the next turn. Then you try two turns, and stop. Then three, and soon you are zooming down with that Alphand guy way behind.
snow conditions
From my limited experience...

At the top take the fall line first off rather than a timid traverse. That way your first turn will have some speed about it which should make life easier.

Fluid movements rather than rigid with fear.

Three deep breaths at the top and think confident, assertive skiing (unless your mind is a blank and you're dribbling with fear in which case reach for the hip flask...).

Don't look at the week two skiers who've found their way onto the wrong piste.
ski holidays
Have a read of 'Inner Skiing' Smile

Essentially - JFDI Twisted Evil

Quite often the temptation to 'tutor' yourself down a slope can hinder rather than help (obviously, not everyone Legal Steve)
That doesn't mean forget the technique - it just means have faith in youself that you will apply the exact same technique you use on moderate reds without having to over-think it all.

Also, they're *so* much fun!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I just tell myself that it's a bloody long walk down. Confused
latest report
skanky,

"on your bum"

I find 'don't f***** fall' also good in these situations...!!
snow conditions
Quote:

It's all about edges

Yes, the edges of the piste where you are most likely to find soft snow.
Wait for someone who loooks as though they know what thety are up to and follow them as far as you can, then wait for the next one. snowHead
snow conditions
Pole planting is good and try to relax, your legs won't work properly if you are rigid! As I have found out on many occasions... I always tell myself to "dig deep, you've paid to do this so bloody well get on with it!"
snow report
JT, I thought that the streaks on blacks were where it's worn through, too. Now I discover it's where someone's salopettes have worn through.
latest report
Be aggressive, not tentative.
latest report
doogo, you should try the Luc Alphand on a mountain bike!!! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
doogo, Do not rush yuor turns. If you rush your movements then the turn will be rushed and you'll skid. Take your time with the initiation of the turn, and the rest will happen on it's own. snowHead
latest report
A couple of years ago, after a particularly heavy session in Soll, the next morning several of us were waiting for a friend at the bottom of the piste and all we could hear was a pretty ropey rendition of "Happy Talk" coming down. Apparently it helped him a bit to think (and sing) about something happy.
latest report
Whenever I'm up against it, be it running, cycling, skiing, I try to remember this
Quote:

If you think you're beaten, you are.
If you think you dare not, you don't.
If you like to win but think you can't
It's almost certain you won't.
If you think you'll lose you're lost.
For out of this world we find
Success begins with a fellow's will.
It's all in the state of mind.
If you think you're outclassed, you are.
You've got to think high to rise.
You've got to be sure of yourself
Before you can ever win a prize.
Life's battles don't always go
To the stronger or faster man
but, sooner or later, the man who wins
Is the man who thinks he can.

It got me through months of training for my first half marathon, then it got me through the even itself. I think it had the effect of making me feel guilty for thinking of quitting.

Of course, there are times when youve just got to think, "Ah, dangly bits. How long will the pain last anyway? It's not as if it will last for ever, is it?"
snow report
hyweljenkins, blimey, struggling to remember all that, I think I would end up skiing/cycling into a tree! Agree with the sentiments though. snowHead
ski holidays
I used to pretend I was an aeroplane:

"Whee, I'm an aeroplane" said a few times makes me giggle, and loosen up enough to ski, and then I say "shut-up and ski".

Well, it works for me! Very Happy Very Happy snowHead

(the aeroplane was originally part of an exercise to help me get my shoulders parallel to the slope, and to head more down the fall line - you had to be there, I think!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy