Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz

Poster: A snowHead
Evening All
We're having a long weekend early Jan, flying into Geneva 09.00hrs on the Sunday, so I was after a resort within an hours drive to use up every available minute on the white stuff!
Les Carroz looks idea, hour's drive and accomodation for 3 nights no problem. My only concern is what the town's like of a night for 3 lads, anyone been?
We're not after a mad one, just a few bars!
Any other info on what the link to Flaine is like, the Grande Massif area in general, or info on any other resorts that's close to Geneva for that matter, would be more than welcomed as it's an area that I've never skied before.
Thanks as ever.
Lucan.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lucan, its fine for a few beers, a decent size large village/small town. Ski right back into town, pick your accomodation and can be ski in ski out. Good links to the whole of the Grand Massif. Some would say the lifts are a bit slow, but it is not going to stop me going again this year (Samoens). Flaine is within an hours skiing and lifts, so you can spend most of the day there if you want. Les Carroz is probably the best of the Grand Massif resorts for bars, Samoen for food (rather have good food, - only lager in France anyhow - sorry had to say). Go and try, wont be disappointed I'm sure.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lucan, Hi - we went to Les Carroz for a long weekend, specifically because it was a good easy transfer from Geneva (Easyjet from Liverpool) - nice village centre, couple of lively bars, only ate in the village for lunch one day, but pizza/pasta places around. We thought the skiing was very good, with plenty of snow (end of March), and generally a great choice. Go for it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
twoodwar,
Nice one for the info, fired off some emails this afternoon to a few hotels and got a really good response. If the snow carries on the way it has been of late it should be sound

Anniepen,
Thanks for the info & hello from the north of Liverpool.
Booked the EJ 07.00hrs flight from L'Pool myself, as long as there are no delays we should be skiing Sunday PM, we fly back on the 9.30pm flight on the Wednesday so we should get best part of a full day in then as well.

Thanks again guys!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
2 seasons ago i finished night shift at 6 am on the wirral straight to liverpool, flew to geneva, hire car straight to hire shop, hotel to change and met my mates who were there all week at the gondola in les carroz at 1 pm. Then went out till 2 am (38 hours no sleep).

If you look for hotel at logisdefrance there is one in les carroz called les airelles where you come out of the hotel straight to a drag lift that you then ski across from to the main gondola. I never stayed there but for location it is spot on, ski right back to the door.

As mentioned a few lively bars but nothing wild, great food in a few places.

Three years in les carroz (love it)but this year staying in Flaine itself to make it a bit easier with the kids now skiing.

I can give you loads of other tips if required just ask or PM me and i will put it in an email rather than cluttering up the message board.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ianbradders, Lucan, Hi! Southport actually, but a refugee from Crosby! I have stayed at Les Airelles - it IS a fantastic location, but is a strange little place with THE smallest hotel room I have ever stayed in! It was only possible to get to 'my' side of the bed, by climbing over it, and the 'en suite' was a moulded plastic pod that you have to step up into, taking up loads of space in the corner. VERY French atmosphere and food - lots of cheese! Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ianbradders, Anniepen,
Cheers Guys
Les Airelles have offered us a two bedroomed chalet on a B&B basis which looks sound for the three of us. How far out of town is it?
Also been offered an appartment in the MGM Les fermes du Soleil, £45 per person per night for a two roomed number. I've had a look on the map & it look like a bit of a walk to the lifts & from the piste, anyone know the place?
The other two options we have are Hotel Belles Piste run by a couple of Brits & Hotel Le Bois de la Char, bit spoilt for choice at the minute so all info greatly received.
Nice one.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lucan, Les Airelles is right in the middle of town, and has a drag and a nursery slope in the back garden! You literally step out of the hotel and onto the drag lift, from the top you ski across to the gondola. There is an open air terrace at the back too, where you can have a drink. Be warned that if your room is at the back of the hotel, the piste basher grooms the nursery piste at about midnight - you may not be in bed of course wink but if you are, the searchlights and noise are an experience!

There is a hotel that was recommended to us, but they didn't have space - Arbaron. Closer to the gondola than Les Airelles, but you would walk there as it's on the other side of the village. I don't know the other places, sorry Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anniepen,
The way one member of our crew snores, it's like having a piste groomer in the same room, so having one outside on the piste could actually be quite soothing to be honest!
Thanks for the info, I like the look of Les Airelles but I'll also have a quick look at the Arbaron.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bois de la char is right on the slopes. Stayed there two years ago. You can literally ski into the bar and restaurant if you are not careful.Ski schools stop there for lunch It is though a 10 minute walk downhill to the town square. However not many places with the main lift in the town square! I would rather be on the slopes and walk for a beer or food than carry skis around. The food is average. Suggest B&B, Rooms were the standard of a travel lodge, but I repeat a fantastic position
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
twoodwar,
Couldn't agree more! There's nothing worse that lugging your skis round when you're hungover of a morning!
Bois de la char & Les Airelles are looking like the best options. Bois is half board while Airelles is B&B which I prefer to be honest.
Thanks again for the info mate.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lucan, B & B in Les Airelles would be my recommendation. We were half board and for three nights ate our own body weight in cheese! This was a set menu for half-board guests - or mice - and not to be recommended if you want to avoid cardiac arrest. B & B would be fine Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lucan, fermes de soleil Its a 3 min walk to the square and then a 5 minute bus, all the buses go through the square up to the gondola. Or a bus goes past, but you go on a scenic tour of the village, takes about 10 mins.
There is a bus (Le Pré-du-Bois ) that goes from the gondola every 15mins and goes right past fermes de soleil. Typical MGM, pool, hot tubs things etc. Ice rink is in middle and next to spar shop.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The chalets at les airelles are just in front of the main hotel they look great little self contained affairs. It is about a quick five minute walk into the village centre. The logis de france hotels pride themselves on the savoyarde food. First trip to Les C i stayed in the other logis hotel le croix which isnt well situated, however we had some quite bizarre food, all very good. One particular meal could have done with an instruction manual.

we stayed at Les fermes de soleil last easter, some apartments are pokey some massive (we had three between our party) but all are well furnished. The best thing about it is the indoor pool jacuzzi hammam etc which is complimentary. The ski bus stops right behind reception however we would just drive to the big free car park right on the slope at the gondola. It is not walkable to the slopes but is better located for the village centre bars etc.

Looking back at your original question the link TO flaine is okay, getting back can require a bit of poling walking unless you are confident skiers who can fly down from the tete des saix on the perce neige or go down the red to les molliets and get the chair back up and you are at the top of the les carroz high nursery slope. After the green you then have good options back into the village.

If you need a guide i am getting itchy feet, i have to wait until march Crying or Very sad

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 10-12-08 1:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
[quote="ianbradders"]
"One bit of advice would be stay at les airelles and go to the pool etc at les fermes because there is no check on who comes in and out"

Oh really.....strange advice fraudulent activity .......well i would not chance it as you have to walk past reception to get in.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 9-12-08 22:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
carroz, Apologies i hadnt thought of it like that. As i said i stayed there last easter so paid £1500 for the priviledge, i havent personally done it. However i accept that i was out of order there.
latest report
ianbradders, Thats ok, i was feeling a bit grumpy this evening...........its the age. The rest of the advice is spot on.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 9-12-08 22:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
carroz, i have now edited it out. Sorry. Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy