Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar to the Alps - Transfer across Paris

Poster: A snowHead
Two of us will be travelling to Chamonix over Xmas for London. We're booked on Eurostar to Paris where we change to an overnight train with couchette to Chamonix.

In Paris, we have to transfer from Gare du Nord where the Eurostar drops us off to the Gare D'Austerlitz for the overnight train.

Any advice on this - e.g. would the Metro or a Taxi be better?

We will have full ski luggage incl. ski bags etc.

Thanks

BrightonSki Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BrightonSki, it's a doddle to get the metro to Austerlitz - one line, about 9 stops. Only problem is stairs but it's not so bad.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When you buy the Metro ticket on the way there, get the return at the same time. Just saves the bother on the way back
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come off the Eurostar platform, turn left, go down an escalator when you see it (slightly to your right) keep on going straight ahead and you come to Ligne 5.
9 stops down that and just after you cross the river, you're at Gare d'Austerlitz.

There are maybe 20 steps to descend at Gare du Nord and about 40 to descend at Gare d'Austerlitz. Obviously these 40 steps are going up on the way home but at Gare du Nord there's an escalator in that direction.

There's a left luggage office at G d'A where for about 7.5eu you can leave your bags for up to 24hrs. Useful if you want to go to dinner or even spend a day in Paris baggage free.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you Very Happy

How long is the journey on the Metro? I think we've got about an hour spare to make the connection.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easy peasy - about 20mins usually.
You'll probably find time to get a take away on the way through.

Check your tickets and note the Train Number.
There are sometimes 2 sleeper trains leaving at the same time to the same destination, obviously only one will be yours.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Fantastic responses ... Thank you Blush
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The taxi alternative is quite expensive and you might have too long a wait for the taxi (the queue is often huge, especially after a Eurostar gets in - could be as much as 45 minutes) so I reckon a taxi might be cutting it scarily fine if this is the case. A taxi would probably be no quicker anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How easy would it be, on one's own, to take a ski bag and one wheeled bag on the metro?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The metro is appallingly designed for anyone carrying more than a beret and a baguette- few escalators, ticket gates that Kate Moss would struggle to squeeze through and often there aren't even any of the luggage gates to slide your ski bag, etc through.

That said, whilst it's a bit of a struggle to get to and from the metro trains, the journey between the stations is pretty quick and painless with no/ minimal changes to get to gare d'austerlitz or gare de lyon. Taxis are few and far between, the queues for them long and the Parisian traffic pretty bad at most times of day.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great advice, thanks. We're going to try train to Andorra and this is going to be the same cross Paris trip, complete with kids, luggage, boots, skis, board etc.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Oh, one more thing to add, avoid rush hour (i.e. 8.30am-9.30am and 5.30pm-7.30pm on week days) at all costs. The trains are completely rammed (possiblly worse so than London) and there's no way you'll get on with kids, baggage, kitchen sink, etc. On my way home from work last week a fight erupted (fists flying everywhere) over the last square inch of spare space.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BrightonSki, Getting across Paris is a doddle from one station to the other. Not half as much fun as trying to get from the Airport to the Gare d'Austerlitz on time when your plane was delayed by two hours though Shocked

But your fun will really start on 'the overnight train'. I note you don't refer to it as a 'sleeper' - very wise. rolling eyes

A tip, take ear-plugs, and a large hip flask of at least 40% proof spirit. wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Axsman wrote:
Why? I thought you weren't planning to use the Snorer-train this Winter Wink

A good tip if you do need to take a cab for any reason is to go get a drink or even a light meal in one of the cafes across the road from G du N and have them order U a cab. I've not done it myself but I've heard it's far more efficient at busy times than queuing outside the station.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
admin wrote:
Axsman wrote:
Why? I thought you weren't planning to use the Snorer-train this Winter Wink

Well I might not be the ONLY traveller capable of ripping off a few window shaking ZZZZ's U know Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
What makes it difficult to sleep in the couchettes?

Noise?
Temperature?
Uncomfortable bunks?

Any advice appreciated.
latest report
I found it was people entering in the middle of the night and turning the light on; a blindfold and earplugs essential. The trains rock and roll a bit too and this doesn't help. Temperature was fine on my last journey and the bunks aren't particularly comfortable but OK. I like the top bunk for least disturbance.
snow conditions
What's the luggage space like on the train?
snow report
Quote:

Taxis are few and far between, the queues for them long and the Parisian traffic pretty bad at most times of day.

Right on. The only time we did this, we had loads of time, and started on the bus, to see a bit more. Then after the bus had sat stationary for quite a long time, near a metro station, we jumped off the bus and dived underground.

Quote:

What's the luggage space like on the train?

Tight, or very tight, depending on how many of you there are in the couchette. Ours was full, other 4 people pleasant young Italians who just wanted to sleep. So we had a peaceful night (this wasn't the Tour Operator train for brain-dead boozers), passed in very close proximity to our baggage. I found a rucksack with folded ski jacket on top made quite a useful pillow. wink
snow report
BrightonSki, I second everything that's been said about taking the metro, by far the easiest option, but be warned it's strike time in France and particularly Paris at the moment and it was chaos on the trains 10 days ago Crying or Very sad , hopefully tho you won't catch a strike day. Good luck!
snow conditions
Thirded (or Nth'ed by now). The Metro seems (from our admittedly small experience) to be excellent as far as escalators and lifts go. You sometimes have to look around a bit to find the lift (usually a glass box at the end of the platform) if there isn't an escalator, but although it's flagged for wheelchairs and pushchairs no-one seems to object to their being used by people whose only problem is that their luggage capacity exceeds their musculature. Actually, if you compare the London Underground from the point of view of a disabled user you have to cringe.
ski holidays
BrightonSki, "What makes it difficult to sleep?" Well if you were to ask one particular French family they might say something about Drunken Englishmen falling on you and then snoring all night Embarassed

"Whats the luggage space like" Non-existant.

The cabins have three beds either side, low, middle and high, with a ladder between. the luggage space is the width of the ladder and the length of the floor i.e. about half a bunk. but you have to stand there to get into the cabin.

If you are lucky you will get pam w's sleepy young italians, if not, then "brain-dead boozers" might be the order of the night Shocked

Good Luck! Laughing
latest report
However, in case the above sounds too gloomy, lying horizontal all night is infinitely preferable to sitting up on a coach, the ordinary train or a flight to North America. Just be prepared to get more intimate than usual with your skis. And it's stupendous to wake up (probably about 25 minutes after you've fallen asleep) in the mountains.
ski holidays
Sorry to disagree pam w, but lying horizontal in a dark confined space, being able neither to sleep, nor do anything remotely entertaining, and arriving in the mountains too sleep deprived to think straight was more stupefying than stupendous. Evil or Very Mad

I wouldn't take the overnight train again if it was free. (And in fact it's cheaper to fly!).

snowHead
snow report
Jane L wrote:
Great advice, thanks. We're going to try train to Andorra and this is going to be the same cross Paris trip, complete with kids, luggage, boots, skis, board etc.

Rather you than me!
snow report
I often have problems getting to sleep normally, but usually sleep reasonably OK on the train. Also I've never had people coming in at later stations on the way out and certainly not drunk ones - I'm quite surprised about that as I've done this about 8 or 10 times.

If it is possible to choose your bunk when you book ask for a low one as it can be too hot on top and the French like it hotter (hotter than I want anyway). Once you get to the train, however, take the bunk you were allocated since I find the French sometimes insist on the one on their ticket and get you to move.

There is the possibility of booking a taxi from England but I think it is the larger, more luxurious type and costs a fair bit more.

Actual cost of the train is more but you get 2 more days of skiing so it is easily worth it.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 9-12-08 10:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
BrightonSki, To save a bit of time & queues at Gare du Nord, you can buy a carnet of metro tickets at St Pancras before you leave England. Smile
latest report
In January I am looking at travelling by train by day - since airports have become such a hassle. I rarely sleep well on a train overnight.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, what is the point - it is cheaper to fly - and you don't get the two extra days of skiing which is, surely, the point of the train.

As has been said on other threads, you need to buy tickets the day they become available as there are a few hundred (roughly) half price tickets, but these sell out quickly.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 9-12-08 10:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
My preference is to travel during the day on the way there and enjoy the scenery. On the way back I take the extra day on the slopes and tire myself out so I can sleep on a Couchette.

An hour to cross Paris on the Metro should be easy - I once did 12 minutes from Gare du Nord to Gare de Lyon on the RER Shocked This was due to a late arriving Euro$tar - I made it just in time...to watch the TGV pull away. Mad

I usually have the luxury of travelling mid-week so no Saturday traffic on the access roads Smile
ski holidays
I've done the the charter sleeper service from Gare du Nord several times and always had a reasonably good trip down to the Alps, but I think I would be reluctant to do it if travelling by myself or just as a couple. If you know everyone in your cabin it is easier to organise the limited storage space (floor space underneath the 2 bottom bunks, large shelf above and behind the door), and people are more prepared to make compromises. Although I'm a light sleeper I've always had enough sleep to justify the two extra days skiing. The trip back can be a bit depressing, but a shower at Gare di Nord and petit déjeuner in a nearby cafe perks me up in time for the rather more civilised Eurostar back to London. For two extra day's skiing I'd say it's definitely worth putting up with the inconveniences of the sleeper service.
latest report
snowball wrote:
achilles, what is the point - it is cheaper to fly

If booking in advance I usually find it works out about the same, especially if going to a resort close to the station: You save hugely on transfers.
Of course I have the advantage of being (relatively) near St Pancras to start with...
snow report
The train I took was not the TO charter. On the way back I had an entire compartment of 6 bunks to myself (hubby having gone home to cope with an emergency). Sitting up all night sucks.
latest report
pam w, yes I agree - not the TO charter which has a disco carriage and people clumping up and down and talking loudly all night.

Wabbey, yes, I suppose if you get the cheap tickets it might not be very different - I don't know the transfer cost for flying because the few times I flew it was with a TO and that was included.

When I used to do the train 20 years ago with TOs it was slightly cheaper than flying - but flying has got cheaper.
snow report
snowball wrote:
achilles, what is the point - it is cheaper to fly -

Really? Even when you take into account the cost of getting to the airport, more expensive transfers at the other end, the cost of checking in extra bags and skis on budget airlines, etc, etc?
ski holidays
snowball, I just find the whole airport thing tiring and degrading, and am not too bothered about the cost, even if it is greater. The biggest hassle looks to me the cross-Paris thing. The rest of the trip could be very relaxing. I wonder if it is possible to change at Lille - will check.
snow report
achilles, is it possible to book a seat on the chartered snowtrain service? That leaves from Gare du Nord, so need need to transfer across Paris to Austerlitz.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Thanks, I'll think about it. I'll be going to Grenoble, so the TGV is attractive - and I have now found that, if I can time my Eurostar right, there are direct TGV trains from Lille to Grenoble.
snow report
achilles, if you travel on daytime TGVs it is but you'll still have to change at Lyon for a regional train, so you won't gain anything and the journey would be more of a hassle.
latest report
achilles, I agree with you re DAY time train travel. Mrs Axs and I did the train Journey to Wengen for the last MSB and although it involved quite a few changes (about 6 as I recall) the relaxation and comfort of the train was far more pleasant than the airport hassles and delays. It was also nice to see the countryside rather than just the clouds.

It's just the overnight train journey that I detest. I don't see the benefit of having two extra days on the slopes if you spend the first one (and the one after you get back) completely knackered!

(Personally If I want two extra days on the slopes, I'll fly out a day early, and back a day late Madeye-Smiley )
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy