Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow blindness of a 30 something

Poster: A snowHead
I have passable eye-sight but have just entered the 'always-wear-specs-in-the-car-or-you-might-kill-someone' phase. But when it comes to skiing, although I can generally see, I can't see bumps or where pisted turns into non-pisted. I guess I have to buy prescription goggles (can't wear contacts - boring reasons why). But think they might be pricey - does anyone have any advice?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sophiemccook, you can get cheapish inserts which you can fit into goggles. If your eyes change quite often buying prescription goggles is expensive. A number of internet sites exist - eg http://www.sportslens.co.uk

I had some made to my distance prescription, in Albertville, and I'm very pleased with them. Haven't had any problems with fogging.

If you can't see where pisted runs turn into non-pisted (on a nice sunny day) I'd personally doubt whether your eyesight is "passable"! wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
They used to give you liquid cocaine if you got snowblindness. I tried telling my doctor but he wasn't prepared to listen. Sad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wear specs while skiing, it's no problem at all. You buy goggles that fit over your specs. All gear shops have them.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all that - great suggestions, especially the cocaine - would make me feel like I'm skiing even faster. I will try the insert site. I ski in the cairngorms and nice sunny days are so rare I get confused but I think my eye sight is passable (and will continue to think so until that old lady I hit actually dies.)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
parlor gets my vote for Chief medical Officer. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sophiemccook wrote:
.........I ski in the cairngorms and nice sunny days are so rare I get confused ............

snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sophiemccook, If you can't see bumbs ar where non pisted pisted turns to pisted you should have been wearing glasses in the car for a long time as i have no problem seeing these but have been told by the optician that when I learn to drive I will have to wear my glasses in the car all the time.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am short sighted and wear specs all the time.
Not interested in contacts or lasering at all.

Get prescription sunglasses and OTG goggles (Over The Glasses is what I think it stands for). Most goggles companies have some in their range.
The ngoggle inserts are expensive and unneccessary if you find OTGs that fit you.
I have used oth for years and never had any problems at all.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, OTG goggles can be fine, but you absolutely HAVE to try them on with your specs. My previous specs were fine under goggles, but my new ones, though they don't really look any bigger, are obviosly a different shape and after trying on loads of pairs of OTG goggles I went for the inserts, which weren't expensive in Albertville (around 30 euros I think). They are a bit better for fogging than specs too. Also, now that I wear a helmet, I do find it more comfortable without specs arms underneath.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tried wearing goggles over glasses. It doesn't work cause the glasses fog (though the goggles don't). When the weather is nice I wear prescription sunglasses which work just fine. As soon as it's snowing and foggy I can't ski anymore.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowforever, you're not missing much...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

As soon as it's snowing and foggy I can't ski anymore.

Shocked really?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's not that I can't see the bumps or non pisting at all - it's just I see them too late. I think it might be a white on white thing - so some good wrap-around sunglasses with prescription lenses might be the compromise. But they won't stop snow flakes going up my nose. (Or the cocaine!) (Joking)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I dont need to see bumps or Off Piste.I just ski on pure instinct wink

Seriously though every year I see a group of blind skiers ,being instructed from behind by sighted skiers and an earpiece.it always amazes me how confident they seem. Smile
snow report
Woah, scary. Bit like those blind drivers you sometimes hear about. When I ski with my eyes closed it's more to do with terror. Thanks for all advice, ski gurus
latest report
parlor wrote:
They used to give you liquid cocaine if you got snowblindness. I tried telling my doctor but he wasn't prepared to listen. Sad

Doesn't that make the Euros soggy Puzzled Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy