Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opinions of Sauze D'Oulx?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey folks. My first post here, i usually just lurk enjoying reading about other peoples experiences but upon trying to find some details about Sauze D'Oulx there don't seem to be many (if any) threads about it.

Me and 4 other twenty something guys are looking to book a trip this weekend and this looks like the choice of resort, we've found a decent deal for the end of Feb. The only things I know about the place are that it has a massive skiing area being part of the Milky Way, its got lively nightlife but also that it struggles getting snow sometimes? We went to Ischgl last year which was amazing and although I doubt anywhere else can compare I would appreciate if anyone can at least get me a bit excited and let us know what its really like! Wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been to Sauze twice, both times in Feb.

First time great snow that was durable at all heights.

Second time we had a massive dump on day of arrival which lasted well, no other snow for the week. Cover was good nearly everywhere except on the way over to France at Cesana on the lower runs where it got a bit patchy.

Depending on your ability there are good runs for the lower intermediate at the top of Sauze, good skiers will enjoy a bit more of a challenge over at Sestriere.

I wish i was still young enough to really enjoy the nightlife in Sauze (i was 25 first time there and had a blast)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
To be honest i found the skiing on the Sauze side a bit boring, and not very challenging. As ianbradders says, the skiing is better at Sestriere with some decent off piste. Its a shame its a bit of a trek to get over and back from Sauze.
Snow cover wasnt a problem, but i can imagine it could be as its not that high.
It certainly has a night life,it was described to us as the ibiza of the alps by the TO on arrival.
The walk upto the lifts in the morning isn't my idea of fun though especially if its icy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh goodness yes, i had forgotten about that walk to the first lift.

Dizzy and light headed by the time you join that queue that starts spreading across the bottom of the piste in the village (or was that improved for the olympics?).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sauze is good for a bunch of guys, provided you're skiers or very good boarders. There are a lot of drag lifts and some of them are crucial links to get from one sector to another. The best chairs are over to Sestriere though Sansicario has a couple of fast quads and usually deserted over there.

Below is lifted from a previous post of mine.

Get over to Sestriere for the best lifts and piste blasting.

Don't get caught out by the drags out of the bowl skier's right as you go up the mtn from Sauze on your way back (especially if you are a boarder).

If you are not a boarder, then although the drags are a drag, get in to next bowl skiers left facing up the mtn from Sauze. At the bottom of the 'double drag' (all roads lead here) is a great sun trap restaurant lunch place. Foods is merely ok but great locn. At top of drag head right and cut right for some fairly benign, usually untouched off-piste. You can do this from in sight of the piste if you want/go far enough.

Off the top of Pian de la Rocca chair turn left and then keep right for some more reasonably untouched off-piste.

When you hit the piste again, if you are good, then you can cut through the treees to the right instead of the little steep bit. Piste patrol get fobbed off with you (very fobbed off) if the drag is running though.

For a really authentic mtn hut/eating place get over to San Sicario (also good lifts). At the base of the furthest drag there is a little path, follow it and walk up a small way. Very cool spot. Don't try polenta though, it's rubbish (just in general, not just here).

Coming off the slopes, come down from Pian della Rocca (you can also ski trees skier's right in good cond.). Stop just before the final steeper pitch and have a Bombardino.

At the base ignore numpty seasonaire trying to temp. you to nobby place and instead go to pub skier's right as you face downhill (I can't remember the name of right now). Have some nachos whilst you're there.

For a relaxed evening and a great host go to Moncron's as mistermouse, says. Also try the other usual suspects, all within 150m of there. Paddy MaGintys etc.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you go try del falcos for a meal, fab food . run by a scouser (they get everywhere dont they). it,s in the old part of town i think. also have a look at this site . http://www.sauzeonline.com/ it has a very useful forum . i went there 2 years ago and liked it but my mates who had been before said it looked a bit run down and shabby . considering the olympics were there the year before they had;nt done much . there is a ski garage across the road from the lifts so no need to walk around in boots , just take them on the first day and your sorted for the week.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got to agree, go to the Del Falco, always a warm welcome from Vince. He's sorted us out with last minute digs on anumber of occasions and come up with some innnovative "meal plans" over the years. If you have transport, drive to Mont Genevre and Serre Che too.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Simmy, Great place for a bunch of 20 somthing lads especially if you are all relativley new to skiing. Not a whole lot of challanging stuff but sansicario is awsome for steep runs especially the downhill run over that side

Great nightlife and a livley town enjoy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy