Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

So much snow in Colorado, Alpine World Cup event cancelled

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
At last, Colorado ski resorts have had the big dump of snow they’ve been waiting for. So much, in fact, that the men’s Alpine World Cup super combined race at Beaver Creek was cancelled yesterday. More than 25cm of fresh powder fell on the hill, so officials were forced to cancel the race. The good news is that it has been rescheduled and will take place in Val d'Isère on the 12th of December....Meanwhile, 20 snowcats, seven winch cats, and 300 volunteers from the Vail Valley were on hand to clear and prep for the downhill at the rest of the Audi Birds of Prey World Cup ski races.

Source: http://www.fisalpineworldcup.com/Fis_alpine/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=433%3Asupercombined-cancelled&catid=1%3Anews&Itemid=53 and http://www.firsttracksonline.com/News/2008/12/5/Birds-of-Prey-Downhill-is-Ready-Thanks-to-Monumental-Efforts-of-Ski-Race-Volunteers/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just goes to show how totally unrelated to proper skiing the Alpine World Cup is.
Cancelled because of 25 cm fresh powder?
Can you imagine any snowhead announcing: "We can't go out skiing today because 25 cm of fresh powder fell overnight"?
Of course not.
Completely ridiculous.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
Can you imagine any snowhead announcing: "We can't go out skiing today because 25 cm of fresh powder fell overnight"?

I've had to abandon a day's skiing because of too much soft snow.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

I've had to abandon a day's skiing because of too much soft snow.
Quote:

Sadly yes.

Was in Tahoe a couple of winters back and there was 32 inches of new snow overnight. Had to dig the car in the morning. Everything shut... 11 hour drive bak to San Fran instead of the usual 4. Grim.

Still... transferred to Aspen the next day with 15" fresh and cold, so not all bad Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting replies. Premumably both journalists or politicians.
rob@rar carefully doesn't state the amount of snow that fell to prevent him skiing, but I bet it wasn't 25 cm.
JT_London (welcome to showheads) does provide the snow data: 32 inches. A bit more than 25 cm.
Even so, I am surprised you were unable to go skiing.
I would be interested in other snowheads comments on how much snow is "too much snow".
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim, a few years back in Wengen everything shut down because of too much snow, several days of snow meant that it built up into huge avalanche ready cornices, unfortunately by the time it was clear enough for the helicopters to fly there was too much snow up there for the insurance people to allow them to set off the avalanches artificially
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Jonpim wrote:
rob@rar carefully doesn't state the amount of snow that fell to prevent him skiing, but I bet it wasn't 25 cm.

Probably a fraction less than that. We tried slipping the snow off the course but it was just too soft to run gates, so we abandoned the plan. It was either ski the boot-deep fresh snow or go back to the hotel and rest - I chose to go back to the hotel and rest.

Not everything all snowHeads do is driven by the goal of skiing powder... Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
D G Orf, so the whole resort shut down. Tricky. How much snow was that?
I've known well over 50 cm to fall overnight and there is a delay while the pisteurs blast away to make the slopes safe, but we are usually out and skiing by mid-morning.

And rob@rar, you mention "gates", so we are talking racing again. And a mere 25 cm (less than a foot - would not even get up to the top of your boot!) stopped you going out? Amazing.

I think of it this way. Skiing is an outdoor sport. Outdoors is always at the mercy of the weather. When skiing started there were no pisty bashers. All skiing was what we now call off-piste. The original downhill racers (I think one of the first took place in Wengen - D G Orf will I'm sure comment) all went off together (having walked up the mountain) and i'm sure would not have been put off by a mere foot of new snow.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well we know it's more difficult to ski powder on race skis but couldn't they just swap to something phatter? Or do FIS rules preclude having this amount of fun? Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin wrote:
More difficult to ski powder on race skis
Interesing point admin, but I thought these guys were meant to be good.

I thought the problem was having them all go down one-by-one against the clock. The slope would be very different for the last guy.
So we are back to my oft repeated suggestion that they all go down together.
If Formula 1 in cars going at over 200mph can manage it, then surely these expert skiers can do too.
And it would make for a much more interesting race.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Jonpim wrote:
And rob@rar, you mention "gates", so we are talking racing again. And a mere 25 cm (less than a foot - would not even get up to the top of your boot!) stopped you going out? Amazing.

No it didn't stop me, I chose not to because I had other priorities than skiing fresh snow that week. Point I'm making is that there is more to skiing than the single 'holy grail' of skiing in deep snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim wrote:
admin wrote:
More difficult to ski powder on race skis
Interesing point admin, but I thought these guys were meant to be good.

They are, and they could ski any conditions on any skis. But it's not safe to ski Downhill courses at the speed they ski at in soft snow, so unless you watch ski racing for the crashes it's not really a sensible proposition.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, I think we all know from previous posts thatJonpim, finds racing somewhat boring. I'm sure he's not just winding us up wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gsb wrote:
rob@rar, I think we all know from previous posts thatJonpim, finds racing somewhat boring. I'm sure he's not just winding us up wink

I'm sure he is, but I'm hoping that one day he'll see the light Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jonpim, there was arround 150 cm at resort level and obviousy more on the cornices above, just had to wait until the avalanches came down, most modern downhill racers actually ski on a very hard packed snow (almost ice) becuse of teh speeds they ski at it would probably be quite dangerous for them to ski on softer snow due to a significantly increased chance of catching an edge and getting thrown, oh and yes teh Lauberhorn downhill race was indeed one of the first downhills however I don't believe it was ever a mass start, on the other hand the Inferno over at Murren was I believe originally a mass start, these days there are just too many people to try that, the DHO in Wengen still does a mass start downhill race, usually using the Ladies Downhill course and it is a sight to see
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy