Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

RyanAir Car Hire (Hertz) - anyone used it?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Italy with RyanAir next jan for a some skiing in Arabba.

The only thing i haven't booked yet is my car hire.... so this morning i set about getting some quotes.

One of the best i can find is using the holidayautos discount link thing - works out about £160 to include some snowchains. I've used them before and have been happy with them.

Then i look at the Hertz deal through my RyanAir booking. The car hire itself is just 60 quid. To add in the "skierize" package takes the deal to £120.

This has to be too good to be true, so i do a forum search on here and find a thread that includes a couple of comments about what an enormous con Hertz in Italy can be... i.e. despite you having prebooked and paid, when you get there they suddenly ask you for loads of money OR when you return from your trip, your credit card has had a load of money taken off it.

Anyone experienced this or had a good experience?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, www.moneysavingexpert.com has a very useful section on car hire. Click into 'Travel Transport' and scroll down.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not skiing but recently used Ryanair/Hertz in Sardinia- no problems at all. Earlier this year I prebooked car hire with Expedia in Sorrento (using Budget). Awful in every way - hours of waiting at both ends, double-charged, repeated phone calls & emails & eventually got my 2nd payment back last month. Skullie
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avoid taking the extra insurance and some bits and pieces or the additional bill will be larger than the original. And check the tyres of the car before you leave.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slightly off track but with regards to car hire i have never used holiday autos, however from Geneva i have used Autoeurope several times and they have always worked out cheaper and they have come back with different hire companies each time and after shopping around direct with the same companies autoeurope work out cheaper.

If you book through quidco you get 8.5% cashback, also for the comprehensive insurance dont take it with them again going through quidco
look at insurance4carhire you can get yearly cover for car hire excess in europe for £49 with 20% cashback so £40 for a year where in my experience hire companies usually charge about £10 a day.

Back slightly on track i have used Hertz in France and Switzerland (i know its not Italy but the same company hopefully have similar policies) with no problems.

Just make sure you do common sense things like thoroughly check the car over on pick up and make sure they go over it and "sign it off" on return.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ryanair Hertz - good: low price. Bad: long queues unless you're fast out of the terminal.

If the low price is negated by extras, I'd go elsewhere, assuming of course they don't also jack up their price with winter extras

In Italy you might be luckier with a local company, they often have lower rates.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
used the same service through ryanair this summer going into bergamo.it was very good we got a daweo dual fuel, it saved a lot in fuel, gps half the price of petrol. i shopped around and found that it was the best price i could get. just make sure it has snowchains if you think you may need them?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, that does sound too good to be true, there are almost certainly 'compulsory' insurances that you will be charged when you pick up the car (or at least a huge excess that you would need to waive), I investigated hiring through Ryanair/Hertz once, no-one would give me a straight answer what the total cost would be. Just make sure you can quantify any 'hidden' charges.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magic_hat, just checking the Ryanair/Hertz t&cs, the rates ( e.g. £51 for a week in Feb for a Focus Wagon from Treviso) include CDW but have an excess of €900-1500, that can be waived by purchasing Super Cover for £109.36+tax in the example I checked. Snow chains were €35+tax per rental. For some reason, the total cost is described as 'approximate', a bit worrying. This total cost works out higher than the Holiday Autos discount rate you found.

Or perhaps you could combine the cheap Ryanair/Hertz basic rental rate with the insurance4carhire ianbradders mentioned above.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 7-12-08 19:32; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
luigi, I would definitely recommend the insurance, last winter me being a careful driver have never bothered getting the extra insurance.

Got back to Geneva which was heaving, only one really tight spot to park the hire car in the proper bay.

No fear, hire company man was there to guide me in, so i was following his directions, next thing went up against a concrete pillar and stoved the side of the car in.

He admitted it was his bad guiding but ultimately i was driving so i was responsible Evil or Very Mad

Tried arguing at the desk but when you have two crying kids and a flight to catch there is only so much you can do.

Cost me £600 excess Crying or Very sad but i had to just accept it and learn from it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It will never happen again.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers all for the replies...

David Goldsmith, thanks for that link - very useful indeed.

ianbradders, ta for the quidco hint.. will take that into consideration. And the ref to insurance4carhire...

luigi, Aye - the £51 for a week seems crazily cheap. The excess figure and 'Supercover' thing are extortionate. One query though - where did you see the ability to hire chains? I can't see that option on there anywhere!

Am going to sort it all out tomorrow as am off work, but am thinking of going for the ryanair crazy low price and negating the high excess by purchasing cover with insurance4carhire (you can buy it by the day, you don't have to buy an annual policy)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
magic_hat, I got badly burned at Turin with RA/Hurtz... headline price 158€ actual price 378€. They don't include VAT (20%) or airport tax (25%) so add on all the extras like insurance etc, then add the 2 lots of tax and that's what you pay! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27, I'm being put off this deal very quickly!....

When i start the booking the process, the price page says "Your Rate Includes Collision damage waiver, Theft protection, Tax, Location Service Charge:, Vehicle licensing fee and road tax"

To me, this means that the quote includes the Airport Tax ("location service charge") and the VAT ("tax") as well as everything else that is compulsory.

To confirm this, i find this line in the FAQs: "The Hertz & Ryanair Special rate includes Collision Damage Waiver (CDW), Theft Protection (TP), Unlimited Mileage (UM), VAT and all Local Taxes & Surcharges."

However, in hidden away in a different part of the website, i find this line: "All rates are subject to a Government tax (VAT) at the rate of 20 %" which implies that this charge has NOT been added to the quote.

ALSO, if i add in the Skierize option to my booking it says that this includes: "Vehicles are equipped with all-weather tires or snow tires. Ski racks hold up to six pairs of skis and poles. (Check location for snowboard accommodations.) An ice scraper is included. " It allows me to book this.

However, hidden away somewhere else, i find this: "Snow tyres are not available in Italy".

All very confusing. It should be fairly easy and straightforward - the booking page shows a good price, says that everything is included in the price and lets me book the winter ski pack.

Why is nothing ever simple?!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
red 27, How long ago were you stung by this?
ski holidays
magic_hat wrote:

However, in hidden away in a different part of the website, i find this line: "All rates are subject to a Government tax (VAT) at the rate of 20 %" which implies that this charge has NOT been added to the quote.

All very confusing. It should be fairly easy and straightforward - the booking page shows a good price, says that everything is included in the price and lets me book the winter ski pack.

Why is nothing ever simple?!

It's a minefield, isn't it? Now we know why the total cost is described as 'approximate'! It's all coming back to me now, I remember having a conversation with the Ryanair call centre about some of the ambiguities, I couldn't get a straight answer, I don't think the girl knew the answer, I got the impression I was viewed as impertinent for even enquiring! I asked how can they expect a customer to sign up to something without making clear the final cost, but then we are talking Ryanair!

All the best in finding the answers, if you could drive the car away for that basic price and get the insurance cover elsewhere it would be a good deal.

Has anyone ever successfully hired with Ryanair/Hertz without having to stump up for extras?
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
magic_hat, I got badly burned at Turin with RA/Hurtz... headline price 158€ actual price 378€. They don't include VAT (20%) or airport tax (25%) so add on all the extras like insurance etc, then add the 2 lots of tax and that's what you pay! Evil or Very Mad

I like the deliberate spelling mistake

It really 'hurtz' you in the wallet! wink
latest report
luigi, glad you noticed my little joke...

magic_hat, Jan last year.... now i think hard, it was the fact that the there was the 20% on everything and also that although all those things you list were included the tax(es) on them weren't! Shocked rolling eyes Evil or Very Mad

When I had a row with them it was all covered deeeeeep in the t's&c's but i really did feel like I'd been a mug - I don't imply dishonesty but I would say that the full price was far from explicity detailed (ed after converation with compliance)

Another thing was that OK I didn't give it back full but they charged me 1.5 times the real cost of petrol plus 25E admin charge and of course all plus the ubiquitous taxes... aarrgghhh... I bear grudges; I won't use them again and I would advise that you explore other options if only for comparison porpoises.
snow conditions
http://www.auto-europe.co.uk/car.cfm
latest report
Here's a cautionary tale:

http://www.jetstreammonkey.com/2008/06/hertz-hurts.html
snow conditions
Update:

I emailed Hertz with my queries/confusion and got this reply from them:

"Thanks for your e-mail.

Regarding your enquiry, online rates include basic insurances and all taxes.

You would only have to pay extra if you add any additional equipment or any optional insurance coverage.

With reference to the Skierized equipment, they don't have snow tyres in Italy but they do offer a package that includes snow chains & ski racks for EUR 70.00 (excl. tax) per rental.

This package is only available on request.

If you would be interested, pls complete the booking online without adding any extra.

Once you have the confirmation number pls contact us back and we can request the package for you.

Pls don't hesitate to contact us for further assistance.

Thanks for choosing Hertz.

Best regards,"

So, they seem to be saying that the online price is the total price unless i take out optional insurance... I am still suspicious of them though and am probably going to pay the extra and go through HolidayAutos !
snow report
magic_hat, yes well, that does sound OK... Perhaps they have sharpened up their offer a little since last year - it's a very competetive market and maybe they decided a business model based on being ..er.. a little more open about charges might lead to more, or indeed any, repeat business.
snow report
red 27 wrote:
magic_hat, yes well, that does sound OK... Perhaps they have sharpened up their offer a little since last year - it's a very competetive market and maybe they decided a business model based on being ..er.. a little more open about charges might lead to more, or indeed any, repeat business.

Aye... but with their history and reputation, i still trust them about as far as my 80 year old mother could throw them!
ski holidays
magic_hat, what's happened? I just re-checked the same dates I looked at before, price has jumped from £51 to £220. Maybe this explains the sudden attack of clarity as expressed in their e-mail. The new prices don't have the hidden charges, but they've quadrupled! rolling eyes

Has big brother been watching this thread? Shocked
latest report
luigi wrote:
magic_hat, what's happened? I just re-checked the same dates I looked at before, price has jumped from £51 to £220. Maybe this explains the sudden attack of clarity as expressed in their e-mail. The new prices don't have the hidden charges, but they've quadrupled! rolling eyes

Has big brother been watching this thread? Shocked

Bloody hell, you're right! My week has jumped from £60 to £183 for the same car. It was still £60 when i checked yesterday!

Oh well - at least that helps me with my dilemma about whether to risk booking it or not! Problem solved!
snow conditions
magic_hat, FWIW, I have been using Holiday Autos recently with Quidco & 15% discount link, I take out their XS waiver insurance if the excess is more than £200, but will try that annual policy from insurance4carhire if it looks like I will be hiring for more than 2 weeks in a year.

Suppliers vary, normally one of the large multi-nationals, only one was a local outfit that didn't have cars that were up to scratch, but that was in Madeira. I've never been messed about with extra charges, just make sure any damage and fuel level is noted on pick-up and bring it back the same.

I think they're less likely to invent damage claims when you're booked through a consolidator, because they're gonna get found out if they keep trying it on. If it's an individual booking, the customer isn't gonna have the same clout when it comes to arguing the toss.

All the best with what you decide! snowHead
ski holidays
luigi, Cheers for that! I've used HolidayAutos once (last year from Geneva). Got a great car with zero hassle. Used the 15% discount link from here. Am signed up with Quidco, but am unsure how you claim your Quidco discount using the 15% link - if i click Quidco links it opens up the standard website, not the 15% link...

Sorry to hassle you!
snow report
magic_hat, make a written note of address of the 15% affiliate link, clear cookies, log in to Q, click through to HA, then type in manually the address of the 15% discount link, press enter to refresh the page, then book it! That way you enter the site through Q and the affiliate network registers the purchase through Q, but you get to use the page that produces the cheap prices, it's worked recently! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
magic_hat, luigi, Shocked Laughing At least you guys found out beforehand - Imagine my delight when I made the discovery after a 3 hour drive through an Aoste pea-souper
snow conditions
AM I being thick? Where is this 15% affiliate link? and can anyone use it?
ski holidays
stevo_the_saddler, you can find it in this list, works even if you're not with Branson wink :

http://www.virginone.com/onev3/virgin/plusone/service-plus-deals.html
ski holidays
luigi, Thanks, I will take a look.
snow report
I usually use Argus Car Hire. Never had a problem and nice and cheap. Although I fear I might be on their blacklist as we had to dump a SiXT car in an Avoriaz blizzard last year & get a taxi to Geneva due to us letting the battery run down like a bunch of total planks!
latest report
luigi, Cheers for the info on combining Quidco with discount link! Will give that a try!

awksquawk, Will check out argus - never heard of them before!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy