Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Security warning on SCGB server

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Am just trying to arrange annual insurance cover for my son (Christmas present) and it seems that the SCGB policy is probably best. However, it's available only to members - and on trying to join, I am getting a security warning as follows.

www.skiclub.co.uk uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

I can click to make an exception, but I've not come across this before (including when I was joining myself, and buying insurance, with no problems).

Anybody else encountered this recently? Advice?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ignore it... Microsoft BS.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wouldn't worry about that pam w.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is what it says on the site:

You are now being directed to a secure internet site, arranged by Perkins Slade Ltd and administered by
P J Hayman & Company Ltd where your enquiry for travel insurance will continue to be processed.

Perkins Slade Ltd are proud to be the appointed insurance brokers to the Ski Club of Great Britain.

P J Hayman & Company Limited, Stansted House, Rowlands Castle, Hampshire, PO9 6DX is an appointed representative of Crispin Speers & Partners Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Their FSA register number is 311507.

If you are not automatically redirected within 10 secs click on the 'Get A Quote' button below:

So, I guess the security cert issue belongs to whoever it is that takes the money for the insurance... not SCGB obviously.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OK, thanks. I usually do ignore those things, but this one looked slightly different and I've bought insurance through those links (just 10 days ago) with no similar problem. I was using Firefox.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Taking notice and doubting whether it was safe or not is a good reaction - if more people did that there'd be less in the way of security problems in the world Smile

As to the actual problem, it means that the people who say that SCGB/whoever the certificate belong to an't be verified as their own certificate isn't known to the browser. This may be because it has expired (silly error, safe to ignore), because Firefox doesn't know the issuer but they are otherwise reutable (safe to ignore, albeit hard to verify), or because the CA certificate is self-issued (which is a potential danger as anyone can do it, and thus one of the main benefits of having a certificate - identity verification - isn't there).

It's very probable that it's safe to add an exception for and ignore, however I think it'd be foolish to say 'definitely legit, fine to ignore' as there's always a small chance that it isn't. Many people wouldn't hesitiate to ignore it and proceed without thinking, which is totally the wrong mentality in my opinion.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mark_s, thanks. I decided to wait, and try again the following day, when the whole thing went through fine, without any warnings. So, blip of some kind, I suppose.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy