Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Top ten off piste resorts in Europe

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, I didn't like the last top ten list, so I started my own NehNeh

The first eight, surely, cannot be in any doubt Confused

1.Verbier
2. Chamonix
3. La Grave
4. Val d'Isere
5. Engelberg
6. St Anton
7. Tignes
8. Zermatt

The two I would add to the list would be:
9. Andermatt

and

10. Cairngorms

come on....it has this

I haven't booked any trips this season, apart from Cairngorms snowHead , so where else should I be looking?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry Val and Tignes are one place as far as off piste skiing is for me. Les Arcs / La Plagne (also as one place) should be up there in the top five in my view anyway. Scotland, sorry no way, not even in top 20. Use to ski there when I was young, to hit and miss with the weather/snow conditions. I think it really depends where you ski most yourself. I could add a few others in my top ten but most poeple would not know them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go on, you know you want to Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot no Selva/ Arabba?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wot no Bansko? rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My order would be: 1Chamonix
2La Grave
3Alagna
4Verbier

5 and then the rest
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman, La R..... Skullie
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think the order depends whether you are with a guide (or are of similar experience to do it unguided) or not.
Guided, I'd go:
La Grave
Chamonix
Alagna
St Anton

Unguided:
Chamonix
St Anton
Gressoney/Alagna
La Grave/LDA

Val d'Isere/Tignes has never really done it for me - but maybe I just don't know it well enough.

I will be hitting Zermatt, Engelberg and possibly Verbier this year (so far no more than an hour or two in each) so may be able to comment a bit better at the end of the season.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anywhere there is deep snow and lines to be had. Repeat 10 times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some might say

You know what some might say

1. La Rosiere
2. La Rosiere
3. La Rosiere
4. La Rosiere
5. La Rosiere
6. La Rosiere
7. La Rosiere
8. La Rosiere
9. La Rosiere
10. La Rosiere
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Anywhere there is deep snow and lines to be had. Repeat 10 times.

Exactly - the top ten change by the day
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Not sure I'd agree with that. Off-piste resorts gain reputations, as do surf resorts, for the consistent quality of the ride
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
an alternative title for this thread could be:

"Top 10 places not to go if you want the freshies to yourself"
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Surely glencoe should get a mention Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Arno, Laughing
snow conditions
shoogly, because they don't piste any of their runs wink
snow conditions
shoogly wrote:
Surely glencoe should get a mention Puzzled

I quite agree. Magnificent mountain. Shirley Bassey should also get a mention.
snow conditions
I haven't skiied off-piste in ten resorts yet Embarassed

Have enjoyed; Snowbird, Les Arc, Verbier, Ishgl, Val D'Isere, Chamonix & Val Thorens though.
ski holidays
II, precisely Very Happy
latest report
Nickski wrote:
Some might say

You know what some might say

1. La Rosiere
2. La Rosiere
3. La Rosiere
4. La Rosiere
5. La Rosiere
6. La Rosiere
7. La Rosiere
8. La Rosiere
9. La Rosiere
10. La Rosiere

Where's BANSKO????? Laughing
latest report
snowcrazy, agreed that Tignes and VDI can included as one resort. Don't know about Les Arcs but La Plagne is as flat as Holland - the salt marshes, not the tulip fields
Toofy Grin

horizon, went to Arabba last season....if we had done this http://uk.youtube.com/v/WVh4gw7UDQA (are these guys making a fist of the descent or are they skiing a bit cautiously?!)
then I might have said yes

GrahamN, heard good things about Alagna but it was a poor season when I was due to ski it in 2001(?) and have never attempted to go back…could be my starter for 10 this year, if you pardon the pun

In support of Cairngorms, here are a few of my route comparisons with other leading O/P renowned resorts:

Diagonal gully = Freaux in La Grave (but in diagonal!)
Aladdins couloir = Triffides 1 in La Grave
Back of Cairngorms = back of Mont Fort
Taillears and March burn = Laub in Engelberg
snow conditions
Fishwins, I hope people keep on thinking that about La Plagne, leaves more fresh tracks for me. Just got to know where to go. I guess you have never heard of the North face.

Fishwins, Sorry to disagree with you again but cairngorms just does not have the decent that La Grave does. Yes some of those are quite steep but they are way shorter. And back of cairngorms = back of Mont Fort, sorry know way. I think I need to come ski with you in cairngorms. I thought I use to know the place quite well. Maybe it has changed since i was last there! rolling eyes
snow conditions
Fishwins wrote:
Don't know about Les Arcs but La Plagne is as flat as Holland - the salt marshes, not the tulip fields

ROFLMAO.

La Plagne is amazing for off piste. One of the best.
snow conditions
Kramer wrote:
Fishwins wrote:
Don't know about Les Arcs but La Plagne is as flat as Holland - the salt marshes, not the tulip fields

ROFLMAO.

La Plagne is amazing for off piste. One of the best.

And the easy to reach stuff gets tracked out far less quickly than places like Val d'Isere.
snow conditions
GrahamN wrote:
I think the order depends whether you are with a guide (or are of similar experience to do it unguided) or not.

I'd also say it depends on whether your dependant on lifts to get access to the off piste wink

Regards Mark
snow conditions
Fishwins,

Flat as a Holland? There are about 14 ways down this face. And there is loads and loads of other great stuff at La Plagne, some of it very challenging:

Salt Marshes?
I suspect you only know the pistes, which are flat.

As someone said, there is some very good stuff at Les Arcs, but perhaps it doesn't quite make the top ten? Nearly, though.

Alagna used to be known as the new La Grave, but has been slightly spoiled by the piste cut down the middle of the main valley and the removal of some top lifts which I understand makes many of the old off piste runs available only to those prepared to skin up.

I am much less keen on Chamonix now than I used to be - the easily accessed stuff skis out too quickly and although at its best it is right up near the top of the list, it so often isn't. Still, despite that it just has to be on the list.

Currently St Anton is my number 1.
snow report
Shouldn't St Foy be in the list?
snow conditions
Mollerski, Bulgaria. I thought everybody knew that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy