Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 ski?????

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
What kind of skill level is needed to get basi L1 ski? As in a 2nd discipline kind of thing. I've got my career plan all sorted now. 35 hours for L1 are done Wink 35 for level 2 are in the works for feb. That just leaves Level 2 snowboard next November then 200 hours then 2nd discipline then ISIA if I understand it right. Puzzled
I dont think I could ever ski to the same level I boarded at for level 1 but is skiing different? Do you have to be any good as a recreational skier or do you just have to be able to demonstrate the central theme/strands to level 1 standard?
Can't even believe I'm contemplating this Embarassed I figured an hour every day or so for 2 winters will get me up to scratch of some kind on these ski things, just hope I dont catch the ghey.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the level of demand is about the same for ski and for boarding at BASI L1, so it might take a bit of effort for you on two planks. I did my L1 last season with a guy who had almost completed his boarding ISIA and was doing the L1 Ski as his second discipline. He admitted at the start that he'd only done a few weeks skiing and was using the L2 course more as a training week than expecting/hoping to pass it. Given his lack of experience on skis I was impressed by how competent he was at some things: his long radius turns were certainly good enough for L1 standard, but other things, short radius turns for example, were simply hideous. I think this was probably a reflection of somethings in boarding crossing over to skiing quite easily (eg carved long radius turns) but other stuff being a bit alien (eg carved short radius turns). The guy failed his L1, but I don't think it would have taken much effort to get him up to standard as he seemed a very quick learner.

Not sure what the structure is for boarding ISIA but for skiing you have to do the following modules.
200 logged hours of teaching after you complete L2
Technical (2 week course)
Teaching (1 week course)
Second discipline (Level 1 course in telemark, boarding, nordic or adaptive)
Foreign language (phone interview)
Mountain safety (1 week course)
Alpine Coach 1 (3 day course)
Alpine Coach 2 (4 day course)
Common Theory (week in the classroom and gym in Aviemore)
as well as buying a couple of text books on sports physiology and psychology.

(Edit: added 2nd discipline)

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 4-12-08 21:35; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
woah, hard work Shocked
I like the idea of ISIA snowboard freestyle coach. I'm giving myself 5 years to get to that, dunno if I will do it but I'll never know if I just sit on the internetz trolling for lulz and dont try.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stab wrote:
woah, hard work Shocked

Yeah, tell me about it! I've only just started ISIA (done Common Theory and 2nd language plus bought a couple of text books) and realistically it's going to take me at least two and probably three seasons to complete it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dont you have to write 3 or 4000 words on something as well or is that something else?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stab, the 'Research Project' is at the next level, ISTD.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stab, I did the L1 boarding last year in a snow dome and thought that the technical requirement was high compared to what I'd heard in passing with regard to the skiing one. I did my BASI 3 (new money L2) ski a few years ago so can't comment from personal experience, but wouldn't mind shadowing a L1 ski for reference.

The big difference technique wise is that in skiing you need some "upper/lower body separation" i.e. legs turning or being turned by the skis and moving independently to the upper body, and this is more so if you are doing short radius stuff.

In boarding that's not the model they are looking for ("whole body working as one unit"), but I gave it a good go before "correction".
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
david@mediacopy wrote:
In boarding that's not the model they are looking for ("whole body working as one unit"), but I gave it a good go before "correction".

That explains why the ISIA boarder on my L1 was good at long radius (not much separation required) but hopeless at short radius (lots of seperation required).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It's not BASI's fault - the ISIA have brought in this daft idea that all instructors should have a 2nd discipline - but I ask ya, how many ski teachers currently working around the world are really instructor level in something else. Not including those who passed the ticket in the last few years.
Of course things move on and new levels are set that weren’t around previously, but to just add an other discipline seems a little over the top IMO

Am not evening going to ask how of those that passed over 20 years ago could still pass the test(s) today in the sport they now teach - but anyway, 2nd discipline??? Why???
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
did anyone see the adaptive boarding in the basi news letter? That would count as a 2nd discipline IMO but I see no adaptive snowboard course. The swiss system works on 2 disciplines as well and everyone tells me if I want more work then learn to ski.

The body separation thing in boarding was what I struggled on a bit, I was a sloppy boarder before, now I'm a finely tuned snowboard machine, stacked over my board and ready to take anything in my path with ease. Laughing
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stab, Laughing Much like myself !
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne, APSI have had 2nd discipline for quite a while - so have ISIA IIRC... The aussie guys I learnt from mostly had disabled for this reason...

I learnt to ski 11 years ago and the guys all had 2 disciplines then
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy