Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The top ten ski areas in Europe are

Poster: A snowHead
Schmittenhöhe
Ischgl-Samnaun
Solden
Saalbach-Hinterglemm
Merano
Dolomiti Superski
Val Thorens
Saint Lary Soulan
Verbier
Baqueira–Beret

according to this story today on travelbite.co.uk sourced from trivago.co.uk

Michael Caine wrote:
Not a lot of people know that.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 4-12-08 15:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, I cocked up the link to this influential site/story first time round. It should work now.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Why are places such as VT and Verbier listed?

They aren't ski areas as such, they are each part of a large ski area.

I would not disagree that the areas they are each part of should both be in the top 10 list, but they should be listed as the Three Valleys and the Four Valleys (Switzerland) respectively.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I saw Michael Caine in M&S yesterday
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Travel Experts top ten from the same site .... (the other list must be the punters list Wink)

http://www.travelbite.co.uk/feature/seasonal/ski-holidays/travel-experts-top-ten-ski-destinations-0051.htm

........ but which resort is at No 10? Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 4-12-08 15:52; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex, to be strictly accurate I used the phrase "ski areas", rather than "destinations" or "resorts" (the words used by travelbite). However, they've then used linked resort areas, or "Dolomiti Superski", which is a marketing term for the Val Gardena etc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, he didn't know 20% off day is today.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
David Goldsmith, Yes, reading the actual article, they have really mixed up the ideas of resorts/destinatons/areas, with the reult just being a confusing mish-mash Sad
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree. I'll try and find another apposite Michael Caine quote.

See you in Schmittenhöhe.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes I like that list because it doesn't include my favourites and therefore, hopefully, fewer people will go to where I want to go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DB, thanks for that - an interesting comparison. The ski experts (from AITO - Association of Independent Tour Operators) looked at ski destinations worldwide, and selected these as their top European resorts:

Val d'Isere
Saas Fee
Kranjska Gora
Courmayeur
St Anton
Bansko
La Rosière

Michael Caine wrote:
Not a lot of people know Cirencester, or even La Rosière.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whoever came up with this last list is stupid and obviously doesn't ski, they're all shopping destinations.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
welshflyer, snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You mean like Brent Cross?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No Westfield, you'll have to keep up to speed DG.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
Michael Caine wrote:
Not a lot of people know Cirencester, or even La Rosière.

No, I think that was infact Mrs Edith Wickes (no relation to Jeff Wickes)
snow conditions
welshflyer, I checked with the VisitBritain website to see their list of shopping centres and Westfield's not mentioned. Maybe they don't want tourists to go there.

Haven't checked if they've woken up to Aviemore as a major British ski destination (with shopping).
snow report
David Goldsmith,

VisitBritain probably don't want to promote Westfields because it was build by Aussies.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith, journalists, eh?

Such stupid lists.
ski holidays
DB wrote:
Travel Experts top ten from the same site .... (the other list must be the punters list Wink)

http://www.travelbite.co.uk/feature/seasonal/ski-holidays/travel-experts-top-ten-ski-destinations-0051.htm

........ but which resort is at No 10? Toofy Grin

That is a load of crap! Bansko is in there at 9. It's a dump, what a joke!!
snow report
What a load of cack. Where's St Anton, Zermatt and Ischgl?
snow report
St Anton is in Australia (as is Ischgl). Zermatt's in East Dulwich
snow report
Hope Channel4 turns the list into a talking heads show- Stuart Maconie, Kate Thornton etc prattling on about places they've never been to Mad
snow report
David Goldsmith, nothing from Scotland or Poland, how racist! Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
Usual list of toss. There will be a few more like this before the season is over.
snow conditions
Yes, and what a stroke of luck to discover it. It was like the old days - I just dipped the fishing net in the ocean of intercrap, and up it came.
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
No Westfield, you'll have to keep up to speed DG.

I will have a butcher's at Westfields for the first time tomorrow, before the Saw Doctors concert in Shepherd's Bush.
snow report
Depends on the criteria they where assesing this on but I would definatley think its a bit of a strange list though
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
Yes, and what a stroke of luck to discover it. It was like the old days - I just dipped the fishing net in the ocean of intercrap, and up it came.

Have you noticed that Snowheads have become more cynical about these sort of lists since the days when you were in your pomp and posting regularly ?
latest report
I hadn't noticed that, but I'd noticed that this thread had decomposed into shopping and lists.
snow report
These lists are so not cool. What about all the other great skiing places and not just for the tour op promotions. Guess they pay to be put on lists like this!!
snow report
Quote:
Schmittenhöhe

Ya momma's a Schmittenhöhe
ski holidays
Ah yes, that old Austrian expression from Louisiana: (tr: your mother's a rock).

Schmittenhöhe is a 2000m ski mountain, next to Zell am See. Why it's referred to as a 'ski destination' in this article is something we should be told. As far as I'm aware Schmittenhöhe's only accommodation is a 'Berghotel' at the summit, the website of which says:
Quote:
Our Berghotel Schmittenhöhe is closed at the moment because of modifications.

Maybe one can kip in the mountain restaurant.
ski holidays
David Goldsmith wrote:
welshflyer, I checked with the VisitBritain website to see their list of shopping centres and Westfield's not mentioned. Maybe they don't want tourists to go there.

Or they are just not quite up to date Smile
snow report
I wish I knew what the problem was, alex. I must admit I wouldn't visit Britain to go to Westfield shopping centre, despite the compelling fact that it has a branch of Ellis Brigham.

As for Brent Cross, I'm old enough to remember the day that Hendon Greyhound Stadium was razed to the ground to pave the way for this mecca of decadence.

You can't even say this country's gone to the dogs anymore, because there are no dog tracks.
snow conditions
David Goldsmith wrote:
You can't even say this country's gone to the dogs anymore, because there are no dog tracks.

There is a fine dog track at Wimbledon. Greyhound Derby is staged there.
ski holidays
Tell travelbite.co.uk. They might list it as a ski destination.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy