Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Excange Rate

Poster: A snowHead
Surely this is going to hammer the crap out of us this season. Sad It's gonna amount to a 40% increase on the price of a beer. Confused
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mollerski wrote:
Surely this is going to hammer the crap out of us this season. Sad It's gonna amount to a 40% increase on the price of a beer. Confused

Ouch!! 40% less beer, then? Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's packed lunches on the chairlift for me. Can't avoid paying for the lift pass. Half board accommodation is better value than eating out every night. Duty free drinking in the chalet instead of drinking out so much.

I bought €300 yesterday they cost £217 - ouch.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That was a typo they cost £271.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
£217 - ouch...... £271 - whoa!!!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Surely this is going to hammer the crap out of us this season. It's gonna amount to a 40% increase on the price of a beer.

I was reminded of the joys of Austria 2 weeks ago.....3 euros for a large beer - which amounted to a 50% price cut Very Happy when compared to the French prices that I'd got used to!

Then there was Poland last winter - limited skiing at Zakopane (good snow and a great experience though) but about 70p a pint and £20 odd a night for a 4 star hotel.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
my first ski holiday in jan and the rate is awful
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last year I needed 350 Euro for a week and it cost me around £250.00 @ say 70p per Euro

I will still need 350 Euro this year and it has just cost me around £300.00 @86p per Euro

Annoying, but still only £50.00 extra
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good think about the rate is that farmers subsidys are set in Euros. This year the rate is giving us an extra £1000.00 Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Johnboy,

Thats' £50 for one.

I've just added up the difference in price for a family of five in lift passes, am ski school for kids and average ski hire on Euro 1.40 (last year) against 1.15 (which it is this morning).

I make it £200

Throw in the extra for food and drink (I'll be self catering) and it'll be more like £250.

Now obviously if I'm going away I'm not yet skint, but £250 extra is not insignificant. And that's before we lose an extra 20% on the pound between now and Easter.

I hope it's a good holiday, as it could be the last for a while at this rate !!!

d
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy wrote:
Good think about the rate is that farmers subsidys are set in Euros. This year the rate is giving us an extra £1000.00 Very Happy

Thanks for that Very Happy The beers will be on ntfarmer at half term Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
where is the best place to exchange money?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skola, if you are flying, usually by booking online with Travelex, and picking it up at the airport (one in Eurotunnel terminal too). Best of all is to use a Nationwide debit card in a cash machine in resort.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pendodave,

If you're going away at Easter buy your euros now. If you can pay for your lift passes now. Whatever you can pay for now that is priced in euros buy it now. Ski hire pay now. Just make sure you actually get out there after paying for everything.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
welshflyer, Have you got inside knowledge?
Do you know for sure that the exchange rate is only to get worse for us exchanging pounds.
ski holidays
i got told about using a card in resort is supposed to give as good of an exchange rate than getting in england before you leave can anyone confirm this?

Cheers
ski holidays
aw-hicks, Nationwide debit card. Flex Account
latest report
aw-hicks, it is actually better than buying the euros in the UK. You get bank rate as opposed to tourist rate and there are no commission charges on withdrawing your money.
http://www.nationwide.co.uk/current_account/account_benefits.htm
snow conditions
aw-hicks, Each card is different.
Credit cards will always charge interest for taking out cash where ever you are.
Debit cards will vary depending on which one you have.

This may be useful:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money
ski holidays
No and No.

Let's hope I'm wrong.
snow report
welshflyer, totally agree, lets hope
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, I just set one up. I'm toying with buying more Euro's in advance but I can't help thinking the EuroZone economies are actually any healthier than the UK rolling eyes
ski holidays
david@mediacopy,

The Eurozone was set up in order to create a more diversified economic block to rival the other big economies (USA & Japan, although that's gone down the tubes).

We should have been taken into the euro years ago. However we have the usual short sightedness of we're doing better than the Eurozone so we won't join, that's the usual short term gain not looking at the future long term pain.

Our economy is too heavily dependent upon the Financial Services Sector and look at the mess we're in. Blair & Brown should shoulder the responsibility for this shambles. The Eurozone isn't so dependent on one business sector and therefore should do better than us.

If I hadn't moved my money to 6 month and 1 year accounts I would be moving it to a euro account.
snow conditions
Quote:

We should have been taken into the euro years ago

yet we are still surrounded by people telling us how much better we can do it ourselves, rather than let "johnny foreigner" have anything to do with it. The arrogant jingoism which characterised the height of the British Empire is alive and well. rolling eyes
I'm sick of hearing on the one hand how hopeless the economic management in euroland is, and on the other hand about another drop of our currency against theirs since it was launched nearly 7 years ago. I don't understand.

For self caterers, makes sense to take some high cost, low bulk, items from the UK.
ski holidays
pam w,

I dont think we should make the decision about wether to keep control of our own monetary policy simply to make self catering cost on ski holidays more affordable. wink Overall the £ long term trade weight with Euro is about 1:1.40, and in the medium term it will return to this. For those that have'nt noticed the Eurozone is contracting too, Germany and Spain a little faster than us, not that there is any reason to gloat and we need the Eurozone to expand so they can buy our goods and services!
snow conditions
JimSearle, surely buying your goods and services would be a more attractive prospect if it was possible to do it without messing with currency exchange?
latest report
pam w, superb post.
snow conditions
JimSearle,

I don't want to carry on with this discussion because I really get wound up with this one.

Yes our exporters benefit from a weaker pound, however they can't export to the US now because of the economic mess. The recession in the Eurozone won't be as bad as ours but yes they are having one. Germany and Spain will have a worse time than other Eurozone Countries because like ours they were the ones with the UK most exposed to the Global issues.

That's my last posting on this issue. I want to go skiing on Sunday in a happy state of mind.

Happy Skiing Evryone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of all the Euroland countries it seems that most of the economic output comes from France and Germany. Germany is having a hard time leaving France which seems to be least effected (though I hear that Renault are laying people off).

Italy, Spain, Ireland, Greece and I guess (not being an economist) most of the newer countries are not going to be making much of a positive contribution, hence my comment regarding the Euro not being any healthier than ours.

welshflyer, Originally, was it not all about ensuring food production in the wake of famine after the war ? Hence the Euro agricultural policy ?
latest report
I wonder how the likes of the Baltics and the Balkans feel about all this. They will have had Euro membership on their fiscal agendas since joining the EU, and some have tried to join and failed to meet the requirements in the past. Have they dodged a bullet?
snow report
david@mediacopy,

The EU's original name was the european coal and steel community (1951), its aim was to integrate the coal and steel industries of the 6 founder nations to the extent that a future war between them would be impossible. In that aim the founders have been far more succesful than they could have ever imagined, prob the biggest achievment in Europe in a couple of millenia.
snow report
JimSearle wrote:
.........to the extent that a future war between them would be impossible.

That sounds familiar. As you say it looks like job done (for the moment).
snow conditions
david@mediacopy wrote:
Germany is having a hard time leaving France

What, still?

Sorry, couldn't resist, but it did make me chuckle.
ski holidays
Just walked back from the pre-Christmas party for the folk who go to our local French classes. The exchange rate up at the Co-op in the village was a smidgeon under 1.08.

It will make it easier to work out what things cost, anyway. Parity by Christmas?

I don't doubt there are all kind of long term structural question marks about euroland. But just for now, the international currency markets clearly fancy their prospects over ours.
snow report
On the bright side for me... living in England just got considerably cheaper!
latest report
Hey Pam W - that wouldn't be a certain pre-Christmas party where my husband and yours were discussing the virtues of Les Saisies and Le Grand Bornand would it? Small world!!! Smile
ski holidays
pam w, Have to disagree re taking the Euro, have lived and worked in a few European contries and although I liked them all bar one there are a few more Jingoistic than the UK with less reason to be.

The problem with the Euro, unlike the Dollar is that national pride will always have an effect on its managment policy. The Zone will always be German/Franco centric, good luck to them they were instrumental in setting it up however whats good for them may not be good for Lithuania or Portugal. I have also witnessed incredible wide spread corruption and to be honest, idleness in one member state that stagerred me, and it is the EU as a whole that pays for it. As a trading zone with common areas of regulation I agree its a great idea and works well in some respect but the idea of the EU as an extended federal state is just massaging the egos of some politicians

We may be facing a few problems and the present government may or may not be the best to get us out of it but I would rather retain as much control as possible over certain areas and fiscal policy is one of them.
snow report
loatie, it certainly would! Good job I didn't say what a terribly boring load of people we'd encountered. wink It was great to meet you. snowHead
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge, I quite agree.

What is it now 23 members? One interest rate will be right for one of these 23 countries. 22 EU economies will have the wrong rate for their inflationary and investment requirements. Witness the freefall collapse of property prices in Spain and Ireland. These make our property market troubles look insignificant. Spanish prices have lost 50% in two years. Were these countries outside of the Euro, they would likely have used interest rates to stifle unsustainable property inflation but the option wasn't open to them.

The low exchange rate isn't all bad news, in fact it is very good news for UK businesses that export to the EU. There are far more of these than you may imagine and the low exchange rate will secure UK jobs by making our exports cheaper than those from within the Eurozone. It is also very good news if you own property abroad. Its value has increased approx 35% in the last year.
snow report
Quote:

The low exchange rate isn't all bad news, in fact it is very good news for UK businesses that export to the EU. There are far more of these than you may imagine and the low exchange rate will secure UK jobs by making our exports cheaper than those from within the Eurozone. It is also very good news if you own property abroad. Its value has increased approx 35% in the last year.

Yes, we're just moaning about our beer prices, really, and I'm very happy for the exporters, honest. wink My property might have increased in (sterling) value by 35% in the last year but that's a bit theoretical as I don't intend to sell it (and French prices are weak, if I did). But I still have to cross the exchange rate to pay taxes and charges etc. As well as the beer.

I'm sure there are loads of economic arguments both ways about the euro but I'm equally sure the average man in the street knows no more about them than I do. Less, probably. His reasons for being so rabidly anti-euro are mostly emotional and largely ignoble.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy