Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Trauma

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there everyone, long time lerker here looking for some help and advice and maybe another memeber for a ski trip.

I have been trying to plan a ski trip for the weekend of 3rd/4th Jan for a week, originally for 10, then 9 and long story short we are now down to 5, but have left it really late. Really we are looking for a caterted chalet, ski in and out, I really wanted Les Arcs but i realise its getting a bit late for that.

Has any one got any sweet ideas? Or maybe an extra person to make us upto a 6 so its easier to book? (We're a group of late 20, fairly tame lot not looking for a mad nightlife or anything, not to say we don't drink!)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
charliwest, welcome to Snowheads. Can't help with your specific request, but I should think you'll find something OK - you will probably get some suggestions coming along soon. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Charliwest,
we have a triple bedroom and a twin bedroom available that week in our catered chalet in Bansko - I know you're looking at France but if you want to check out the website it's www.christopherchalets.co.uk
Let me know if you need any more info,
Victoria
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Try the website www.chaletsdirect.com I put a post on there on Monday for a weekend trip Mid Jan and have so far had 61 responses, granted I was a little more open on choice of resort but there seems to be plenty out there. Prices haven't come down quite as much as I expected, but maybe there is still some movement between now and mid Jan.

PS - Any particular reason for Les Arc. I am in the same position organising my own group weekend and am stumped as to which resort to plump for, as I know as I am booking I will get it in the neck if the transfer / accommodation / reosrt / snow etc is not upto scratch. Got a couple of good offers for La Plagne!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone so far, vicki I actually saw your post just after I posted so have emailed you. victoriac thanks for the offer, I will check with the others if any of them mind me sharing room with them, 4 are couples, I'm a spare wheel.

reded78, my reason for Les Arcs are pretty selfish. I did a season there a few years back and try and visit at least for a long weekend each season and its my birthday week so was forcing them to go! That said, 1950 and 2000 are pretty snow sure as they are so high, longest transfer I have had was about 3hr from that southern airport, begins with G, cant think right now, still at work. Most of the big chalet complexs in 2000 are pretty new. Also the lower parts around les arcs have some lovely tree sking, I think anyway. I will check out that site as wel, thanks.

Any more suggestions or offers are still very much welcome.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
charliwest, well at least you're a spare wheel who's doing the work of organising!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
charliwest,

Ski Olympic have a place in Les Arcs and may let the "odd man out" to do a male share option so you don't get hit by single supplements. You're looking for low season so that helps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charliwest, this thread has details of which snowHeads have apartments/chalets http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=39913 . You could try contacting some or change your thread title to something more obvious like:

Chalet/apartment wanted for week from 3 Jan.

Have you actually looked for a chalet for that week? Skiworld seems to have lots of availability in Les Arcs. As an example http://www.skiworld.ltd.uk/ski/chalet-holiday/skiing-Les-Arcs/Arcadie/26#availability £499 for the week and availability
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oh - and welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loads of availability for that week - just have a look on http://Alpineanswers.co.uk, they have a live availability I believe. Once you;ve found something that takes your fancy, google for the chalet name and resort and you can usually go direct to the tour op
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We've got availablity in Les Coches, one of the La Plagne villages - we are one lift away from V. Express linking you to Les Arcs. We do any day arrival and three nights accommodation will cost around £179 that weekend for three nights catered chalet accommodation. We do evening transfers from Geneva at £12.50 each way. Drop me a line at mountain.sun@virgin.net for further details - or have a look on our website http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/chalet-melezes-and-mazot/page/view/accommodation
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Forgot to say - we have a twin and triple room available. Those in triple room would get a 10% discount.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies again, some good web sites. I should have mentioned we have some fussy people who don't want to share the chalet with strangers.

But you have given me some great links, I had only really been trying a few web sites I know of and have a some more to check.

Thanks again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charliwest,

It looks as though you have been lumbered (I have in the past) with organising a trip and people start dropping out for one reason or another. You're a star to be organising it because it is a pain in the proverbial. The last time I did it I had to change the chalet 3 times as people dropped out.

You should look at www.yseski.co.uk who only go to Val D'Isere (a great ski area) they have chalets of the size you're looking for. They have the most knowledgeable staff both in the UK and Val D and the food is superb. YSEs Company Director is the chap in the yellow jacket who meets you at Grenoble Airport on the plane that he has chartered. The one issue, if you don't live in the South is that they only use one flight out of Gatwick.

I only suggested Ski Olympic because you said Les Arcs.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
charliwest wrote:
Hi again,

Thanks for your replies again, some good web sites. I should have mentioned we have some fussy people who don't want to share the chalet with strangers.

But you have given me some great links, I had only really been trying a few web sites I know of and have a some more to check.

Thanks again.

I think you need to re-educate your friends, it's not like they're being asked to share their bedrooms or bathrooms (assuming en-suite) with strangers, let alone the beds so don't see what they're fussing about.

Personally I think it's always good for couples to have non-couples around on a skiing holiday, as having the opportunity to make sub-groups out of the chalet rather than always trawling round with the slow BF/GF is a good idea...
latest report
bertie bassett,

I agree but as a solo traveller I wouldn't want to be gooseberry in a small chalet where the others didn't want to mix. That's why I've gone for chalet hotels in the last few years.

However this Sunday, my chalet hotel tour operator messed up my booking (booked me onto a flight that couldn't take my skis) so I've now booked into a small chalet with YSE (I hope I don't annoy the others in the chalet too much).

I think Charliwest is having the same issues I had in that "my" group wanted their own chalet, that's why I had to change mine 3 times into smaller not so nice chalets as people cried off.
snow conditions
Quote:

I think you need to re-educate your friends

I agree. Don't they ever stay in hotels, for goodness' sake? The only way you're likely to find a catered chalet for 5 is in a very upmarket sector of the market where you rent the chalet, the chef, etc then put in however many people you want. I could direct you to a very, very, nice one in Meribel where I know the chef personally!

Otherwise, if they want total privacy, rent an apartment and go out to eat. Try to find a nice quiet restaurant which nobody else goes to (I know one like that wink ). charliwest, it's time for you to put your foot down!
ski holidays
charliwest, As others have said, a private, catered chalet for just 5 people will be very difficult to find. You MAY touch lucky if booking very last minute and you find something completely available and in an area you want, with ski in/out etc, etc, but otherwise the self-catered apartment/chalet and eating out option may be the best thing for your fussy friends! Very Happy PM me if I can help
ski holidays
Right, well I tried your re-education ideas, as you were all right actually, but didn't get very far. But as it is we found a deal in Söll, Austria. Not exactly what I was given as my mission brief, but just SO glad we got something booked!!

Thank you everyone, now its time for me to start planning my next trip!
snow report
charliwest, have a good trip. snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy