Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skiing after lunch

Poster: A snowHead
Usually if we stop for lunch for a long time, I'm rubbish at skiing afterwards. So, we often start skiing at 9ish, grab a snack at 11-12 then keep going until 4.00pm. Then when we do stop, I feel a bit wobbly. What do you guys eat to keep your blood sugar up?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sugar
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A massive pizza and a couple of beers usually does the trick. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The combined weight of my own legs, in pasta form.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Crepes Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and beer. Don't forget the beer.

Never forget beer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
full fat coke
cake
etc

i always find a nice genepi after a big lunch makes the skiing a bit easier Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tartiflete, about a barrow load washed down with several beers followed by coffee and large brandy.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beer works for me too
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sugar soaked in raspberry juice is also recommended, because it looks very similar to blood sugar
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Blood
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, Lots of people have mentioned beer - I don't think they are far off the mark - yes, alcohol in large quantities can be dehydrating, but the fluid side of the argument might be useful to you. I believe that unless you are properly hydrated the body can't deal with the food you give it effectively and so you should make sure you get plenty of fluids on board at the same time - if you are eating well, but not drinking enough maybe your body can't do its best with what you have given it to work on. Medical types please feel free to correct as necessary
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Something and chips usually. snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
plat du jour
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
crepes and hot chocolate on a cold day mid afternoon will do the trick, replace the hot chocolate with beer on hot days.
snow report
erica2004, good breakfast - poached eggs on toast, full fry up etc., mid morning snack (burger, pizza slice, ile flottant,), decent lunch (duck in honey sauce with gratin of potato and carrot washed down by a leffe apero and a robust Mercurey), then a good dinner after a nap.

I would be more interested in why your skiing is "rubbish" after lunch. Why would eating anything affect it?
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Usually if we stop for lunch for a long time, I'm rubbish at skiing afterwards.

Maybe you could stop for a short, light lunch? I had a Salade Savoyarde and a espresso today, and felt fine all afternoon. Plenty of energy for skiing, but didn't feel like I'd eaten two bricks which is what I normally feel like if I have something like a tartiflette.
ski holidays
Quote:

good breakfast - poached eggs on toast, full fry up etc., mid morning snack (burger, pizza slice, ile flottant,), decent lunch (duck in honey sauce with gratin of potato and carrot washed down by a leffe apero and a robust Mercurey), then a good dinner after a nap.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Aren't you too fat to get on the chairlifts? Laughing
latest report
Arno wrote:
i always find a nice genepi after a big lunch makes the skiing a bit easier Madeye-Smiley

Oh my god, you are my sock puppet Shocked . Always keep a hip flask of genepi in the rugsack Toofy Grin
snow conditions
thefatcontroller wrote:
... in the rugsack Toofy Grin

You take a rug when you go skiing? How very civilized!
snow report
erica2004, I find I don't get hungry at all while skiing and last Feb I didn't eat during the day at all, having had just a small bowl of porridge made with water/sweetener to start the day. To be blunt, by 2-3pm I felt like total uncoordinated headachey sh..t on the first couple of days and thereafter made myself stop and have something small (salad, or child's galette), and after that I was fine.
snow report
Butterfly,
" To be blunt, by 2-3pm I felt like total uncoordinated headachey sh..t "
That'll be the hunger then.
latest report
i've found that long lunches don't suit me. Normally a bowl of soup or when feeling poor a sarnie or wrap, otherwise I'd rather sleep than ski. Had wobbly moments a couple of years ago for no apparant reason - low altitude, ok temps and not taxing skiing and found that a muesli bar or banana on the chair lift usually fixed it.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
... in the rugsack Toofy Grin

You take a rug when you go skiing? How very civilized!

You never know when it might come in handy 8,000 feet up in snowy conditions Confused Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Quote:

otherwise I'd rather sleep than ski

then you'll need your napsack.
ski holidays
pam w, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Actually, the best thing I've found to eat is goulashsuppe. It's impossible to ski after something like tartiflette because all your blood supply has gone to your guts to help digest it.
And water - Megamum is right - I do try and drink a lot. At the end of one day, I downed three gluhwein then merrily threw up in the waste bin in the hotel.
latest report
If you hot a low energy point, try one of the glucose gel sachets that runners use, and drink water with it (although one type now contains extra fluid). And also make sure you take in some complex carbs (cereal bar etc) as otherwise you hit the wall again 40 mins later.
ski holidays
Scarpa, Yes you must drink water with gel sachets otherwise I found that they hit the bottom of the stomach and come straight up again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Oh and beer. Don't forget the beer.

Never forget beer.

hummmmmm beeeer
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
erica2004 wrote:
Usually if we stop for lunch for a long time, I'm rubbish at skiing afterwards. So, we often start skiing at 9ish, grab a snack at 11-12 then keep going until 4.00pm. Then when we do stop, I feel a bit wobbly. What do you guys eat to keep your blood sugar up?

I have the same problem with cycling, stop for a meal, get going again and it feels like someone has wacked me over the head with a hammer.
someone once told me the lack of energy was caused by the body digesting the large amount of food. hence folk falling asleep when reading the paper after the sunday roast.
I find the best way now is to eat little and often, as mentioned energy bars and gels, but wrap your gel in an outer bag, it makes one hell of a mess if it breakes in your pocket
latest report
riverman,
Quote:

Yes you must drink water with gel sachets otherwise I found that they hit the bottom of the stomach and come straight up again

Yes I found that, I think it was because although I pressed the metal button thing, I didn't wait for them to warm up.
snow report
I get up early, but generally enjoy the skiing after lunch better for some reason Puzzled
ski holidays
erica2004, It's got to be beer, or do what a lot of the locals drink prior to beer in Austria - schiwasser wink
ski holidays
i love first slopes, so i start around 7.30-8.00. Lunch i get when I am hungry. I eat it on top of the mountain. It is incredible, unless it's windy. After ski I take a hot tub. What more can you desire?
ski holidays
fess, Let's face it - the whole thing is fabulous. I'm so excited about going skiing again. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
erica2004, yeah, thats true. it is fabulous.
about the beer - i drink only after skiing, in the hot tub, cuz' otherwise my stomach is like popping out, and there is not much room left for technique Very Happy
snow report
Ritter Sport Cool
latest report
Full breakfast, espresso at first stop, hot chocolate with rum for elevenses, rehydrate with OJ & then oinion soup c/w gruyere & croutons + roll & half bottle red wine for lunch, mars bar/twix when flagging on the route back then a few beers for apres. Just about keeps me going to dinner.
ski holidays
I don't usually have breakfast when I'm not skiing so I find a couple of pain aux chocolat/croisant d'almond on the first lift up give me plenty of energy in the morning. Grani bars on chair lifts keep up the energy level and a small but energy filled lunch - pasta/bread/potato. I've never had a big appetite so I tend to eat half a normal portion which I guess means I'm not using too much energy digesting it. I think small but often is the way when you want sustained energy.

I'd agree with plenty of water, I've got a camelback type thing. You need it to help you digest the food and to use the energy. And, of course beer (or normally the house wine for cheapness). Twisted Evil And green chaud (hot chocolate with green chartreuse) if it's cold. My first ever ski instructor (at the age of 11) introduced me to that in the middle of a blizzard. rolling eyes
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy